PDA

View Full Version : Gabe, Why No Training In Arizona

RedDevil
10-08-2003, 08:05 AM
Gabe, just curious as to why you don't teach in AZ.Do you have traing facilities here or is it just easier for instructors to use others' facilities to train?I see alot of trainers doing this nowadays.

Gabriel Suarez
10-08-2003, 08:17 AM
Gabe, just curious as to why you don't teach in AZ.Do you have traing facilities here or is it just easier for instructors to use others' facilities to train?I see alot of trainers doing this nowadays.

RedDevil,

In truth, my 2004 schedule was almost filled before we moved out here early this year. I am however VERY interested in doing some training here.

We do have a precision rifle class set up for October 2004 (http://www.suarezinternational.com/azsnipercourse.html)

Other than Ben Avery in Phoenix, (which for me is an overnight stay no different than if I did the class in Los Angeles), there are no ranges that I am aware of where we can close it down for the weekend.

There are many places to shoot here, but most organized facilities operate on a membership basis and if one Bullseye shooter shows up to sight in his WW2 vintage Colt Woodsman, everybody has to give him room to do it. Hardly the environment to train guys in Close Range Gunfighting. This leaves the middle of the woods, but its hard to do an organized class like that.

We are in discussion with a couple of private ranges, as well as private ranches in the area, to use their place for contract training events, but no commitments on that yet. But it DOES look promising.

We are also looking at the possibility of purchasing a large tract of land (80 acres + or -) in order to set up our own range, but there is a good bit of research that goes into this so we are encroached upon and eventually closed down like has happened at so many ranges. Its nonetheless a viable possibility.

If you have access to a place where we can do a course and have some degree of privacy, please let me know, and we can certainly work something into the schedule.

John Silver
10-08-2003, 08:34 AM
I've noticed a similar trend.

There are a lot of big name trainers in AZ, especially in the Prescott area. But, none of them seem to offer classes in AZ.

My assumption has always been that between Gunsite on the high end, and all of the little gunshop schools/classes around the state, that the market is too saturated to effectively market locally.

I for one would love to see more AZ based high end training. Especially of the weekend/2 day variety. The Rio Salado range on the east side of town is still going despite local efforts to shut it down.

Gabriel Suarez
10-08-2003, 09:25 AM
I've noticed a similar trend.

There are a lot of big name trainers in AZ, especially in the Prescott area. But, none of them seem to offer classes in AZ.

My assumption has always been that between Gunsite on the high end, and all of the little gunshop schools/classes around the state, that the market is too saturated to effectively market locally.

I for one would love to see more AZ based high end training. Especially of the weekend/2 day variety. The Rio Salado range on the east side of town is still going despite local efforts to shut it down.

Actually, I'm not worried about Gunsite as S.I. does not teach the same stuff they teach (nor for the same prices). Additionally, most of their clients are from out of town anyway.

The saturation issue is an important one. The population base is not there to support on going classes for indig. folks, and the percentage that actually attends training beyond basic CCW is minor. After one or two classes, they are done.

Also, in a state where you can carry a Glock 24 in a tactical thigh rig to go to breakfast downtown, and stop in the forest to shoot before you go to work, I don't think the idea that you really need to train some skills has caught on as much as it should.

Nonetheless, we will eventually establish something here. Its inevitable.

Gecko
10-13-2003, 05:08 AM
Gabe:

Just a suggestion for you. If there is BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land near you try contacting the local field office in your area. Generally, you can get a "Special Use Permit" for around $100 which is normally good for about 1 year. You should choose several places suitable for shooting as there are some lead pollution concerns. Other than that there should not be any restrictions on using this type of public land. However, it will vary from field office to field office under what they call "special rules." There are also some other procedures that would allow you to have a dedicated range on public land. There are two organizations in this area that are operating ranges on public lands.

I'm looking into the same thing here in the 4 Corner's area as the two established ranges in this area can't be tied up for a whole weekend.

As an aside I hope to be contacting you soon about becoming part of your organization. Just trying to think everything through.

CAPTAIN MIKE
11-11-2003, 10:08 PM
The saturation issue is an important one. The population base is not there to support on going classes for indig. folks, and the percentage that actually attends training beyond basic CCW is minor. After one or two classes, they are done.

Gabe ----

I'm sure you would be welcome at DESERT SPORTSMEN RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB (an outdoor range with plenty of room), in Las Vegas, as they have hosted a number of events over the years including the SWAT Magazine annual match (up until about a year ago). If you like, I can provide you with a contact there and possibly lend a hand in getting something organized.

All the Very Best,
CAPTAIN MIKE

Gabriel Suarez
11-12-2003, 05:03 AM
Gabe ----

I'm sure you would be welcome at DESERT SPORTSMEN RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB (an outdoor range with plenty of room), in Las Vegas, as they have hosted a number of events over the years including the SWAT Magazine annual match (up until about a year ago). If you like, I can provide you with a contact there and possibly lend a hand in getting something organized.

All the Very Best,
CAPTAIN MIKE

Thanks,

Please send contact info for them.

Wulfenite
11-12-2003, 07:04 AM
I've been trying to figure out how to host a class, but like you mentioned, having a place to do it where you have exclusive access is the trick. It seems like if you found a spot of national forrest/BLM land that was safe you should be able to just show up and do the class. Gabe, have you ever had classes on free access BLM/National Forrest land? If so how did it work?

Also, do you have some sort of basic requirements for facilities for each of your classes? If so, you should attach it to you web site somewhere; perhaps under the host a class link.

Wulfenite
11-14-2003, 11:05 AM
Bump To Top