PDA

View Full Version : New Remington 870 PMAX Accessories?

JustinM
12-28-2006, 09:54 PM
My (rich) uncle recently gave me a NIB Remington 870 PMAX. This shotgun pretty much has everything. I only want to make a few changes, and I need your opinions.

1) Put a tritium Big Dot front sight, instead of the non tritium standard dot.

2) 3 Gun Gear 7-shot side saddle

3) Vickers combat Sling

4) Speedfeed Standard Stock

I'm new to shotguns (I've only used them for hunting) in the "tactical" world. I'm more of a handgun/rifle guy. Any opinions/suggestions would be appreciated.

Hasher
12-28-2006, 10:15 PM
You do not need anythign but the sights and a sling.

After a class with gabe I ditched all my 3 point slings and sidesaddles.

SUAREZ CORPORATE
12-28-2006, 10:20 PM
1) Put a tritium Big Dot front sight, instead of the non tritium standard dot.Check out this thread (http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=18081), where I got lots of advice on new front sights for my 870. At the end you will see what sort of Big Dot I got, and links to get it. Good luck.

JustinM
12-29-2006, 06:28 AM
Why no sidesaddle?

Hasher
12-29-2006, 07:10 AM
It is just not necessary. Get a sholulder bag and throw some rounds in it.

The side saddle makes iy a lot heavier and more unwieldy and do you really think you are going to need that ammo immediatly in a fight?

My 870 holds 8 rounds with it's extension and if I can end the fight with that then more ammo is not the immediate solution.

And you do not need the thing for the famed and fabled "select slug drill". We have nto been able to find a SINGLE report where it has actually happened in a figh tdespite schools teachig it for over 20 years now.

Michael Biggs
12-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Justin,

Most of the "junk" on weapons, especially shotguns is not needed but really sells well.

I have a tritium front sight, large head safety plus the follower and magazine spring were changed. I added the Speedfeed forearm and bantam stock. A sling is a must in my opinion.

Get some good training...and practice.

Brooklyn South
01-04-2007, 05:34 PM
I added one of the XS sights to an old 870P that had the bead on the barrel. What I really wanted was somthing a little taller than the factory bead. I had to open up the hole in the sight a little and used JB Weld to put it on there; seems to work well.

One thing that I don't like about the side saddles is that they have to be removed to pull out the trigger group to clean it.

Good shooting!
:):):):)

John Silver
01-04-2007, 06:42 PM
And, side saddles can cause malfunctions. You are replacing the pins holding in the fire control group with ones not designed or checked by the manufacturer.

While it's probably not going to happen with an 870, some alloy receivered guns can actually flex in and tie things up.

It's a shotgun. It's the stone axe of defensive firearms. Anything more than a brass bead up front is high tech. I've used just about all types and while I won't take off ghost rings or rifle sights, I won't put them on, either.

Take all the money you were going to spend on doo-dads and buy practice ammo. You will be light years ahead.

John Silver
01-05-2007, 12:06 AM
While I was experimenting with how to install my side-saddle onto my 870 I demonstrated that it is possible to torque the sidesaddle's screws down far enough to cause malfunctions (difficulty cycling). So I backed the screws off, brought them in until they were just snug, and used blue (removable) Loctite to secure them in position.

Yes, I have to take the side-saddle off to pull the trigger group and clean the receiver completely. So I just repeat the Loctite operation. No biggie.

Hey, at least you identified a potential problem during the modification process and then found a good work-around with the Loctite.

JJ1
01-05-2007, 01:35 AM
JustinM

What many here will tell you is that simple is better. There are many cool looking items that can be added to the shotgun. The question is really what is needed to improve it.

You can add so much that it becomes difficult to properly mount and put into action. I suggest that you shoot you new shotgun "as is" before you start adding a lot of items. For home defense I have added a Surefire forearm with light to my 870. It also has a side folding stock but is not usedas such. It came from Remington that way, was available at a great price so it has not been replaced.

You may find the "bare bones" 870 really isn't too bad a tool after all.