PDA

View Full Version : Do you know squat?

Vinnie Moscaritolo
04-15-2004, 07:58 AM
here are a bunch of resources about training the often neglected
part of the body.. (all of it).. with weight training..esp the SQUAT..

vin

---------

WHAT ALL SQUATTERS "KNEED" TO KNOW - Frederick C. Hatfield, Ph.D., MSS
http://www.drsquat.com/index.cfm?action=viewarticle&articleID=5

---------------
The Importance of Knowing Squat
Frederick C. Hatfield, Ph.D., MSS
http://www.dolfzine.com/page253.htm

I Know Squat
Part 2: Proper Squatting Techniques
http://www.dolfzine.com/page285.htm

-----------------
Squatting and the Implications of Technique on Muscle Function
David Woodhouse: Sports Science MSc
http://www.drsquat.com/index.cfm?action=viewarticle&articleID=73

------------------
Purepowermag
Don't know Squat
Krieger, Wagman, Wagner
http://www.purepowermag.com/samples/pdf/squat1to39.pdf

-------------------
Front Squat Techniques
Dr. Mel Siff
http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/front_squat.html

----------------------
Those Squats and Myths:
by Dr. Mel Siff
http://nbaf.com/nbaf/feb7pgi.htm

---------------------
Biomechanics Research Squat, Bench, Deadlift
Dave Sandler
http://www.strengthpro.com/ca/swis02.pdf

------------------------
List of Exercises associated with upper leg/hip
Robert Newton, Ph.D.
http://www.bsu.edu/webapps/strengthlab/exregion.asp?id=8

----------------------
Squat quotes from the experts
http://www.strengthcats.com/SquatQuote.PDF

----------------------

Ted T.
04-15-2004, 08:26 AM
WOW!

info overload, :)

Gabriel Suarez
04-15-2004, 08:56 AM
Ahhhh Squats. I began weightlifting as a physical therapy of sorts and it has worked wonders for me. There was a day when all I could do was get up out of bed. Heavy lifting restored and healed stuff.

I Squat once a week, using a box. Although I don't max out every week or lift this heavy all the time, I was able to do a 450 pound box squat a few months ago, which for me is pretty good.

Good stuff!!

V42
04-17-2004, 02:49 PM
Ahhhh Squats. I began weightlifting as a physical therapy of sorts and it has worked wonders for me. There was a day when all I could do was get up out of bed. Heavy lifting restored and healed stuff.

I'd like to hear more about that if possible?

What was the injury and how did you follow a program to put you back on your feet.

There are a lot of older guys here (myself among them) whose backs (and other anatomical parts) are not what they once were.

vfortytwoATyahoo.com

Gabriel Suarez
04-17-2004, 08:23 PM
I'd like to hear more about that if possible?

What was the injury and how did you follow a program to put you back on your feet.

There are a lot of older guys here (myself among them) whose backs (and other anatomical parts) are not what they once were.

vfortytwoATyahoo.com

Compression fracture, two bulged discs,and degeneration due to too many years of crazy stuff. I wanted and did avoid surgery. Back still painful occassionally, but making surrounding muscles strong enough seems to have helped take the pressure off the discs.

As is advised, I began light and slow. I don't know if everyone will get the same results, but lifting worked for me. Any physical therapy guys of chiropractors care to comment??

Vinnie Moscaritolo
04-17-2004, 09:32 PM
don't forget the deadlifts.. I have had no other exercise put muscle on my
back like the deadlift..

if you get good at them and then hit your limit of weight, I highly recommend you move on to Olympic pulls/cleans. you don't have to do much weight, but you still get lots of benefit.

[http://www.strengthcats.com/nodeadlift.htm]

BladeMaster
05-01-2004, 08:06 PM
Surgery...Mostly fugeddaboudit! 98% of the time,no matter how bad your pain,or symptoms are surgery is NEVER necessary. My other hat is that I am a practicing PhysicalTherapist x23 yrs. I personally lived through a ruptured L-5,S-1 disc with profound foot drop and paresthesia(numbness). Should have been surgery time...right? Nope, PT,drugs,smart body mechanics, time,progressive exercise and not panicking resulted in total return to full strength,flexibility,sensation. Wanna wrastle? It took 9 mos. total. Surgery is NOT a quick fix at all. Most of the time you end up with what we in the biz call a failed back;which =s another surgery or 2 and chronic pain for the rest of your life. Yea I know everyone knows someone who has had a successful back surgery..but,the medical literature don't lie. 98% is their no. and it actually works against their own profession so they are not protecting themselves. Actually its the opposite. They are telling their surgeons to halt doing so much surgery. A nice switch! Mostly(and I don't care WHAT your MRI says you've got going on in there) your pain is soft tissue(muscle) and trigger points that keep the pain & spasm alive & constant. Don't freak about herniations,stenosis, arthritis etc. All of it was there months before your onset of pain. You did something earlier that day or within a few days of your pain that strained or tore muscle and you were unaware of it. Strange,but,true. Thats why at one time you had back pain and three months later no longer have it...the muscle healed enough to allow freedom of pain.But, I freakin guarentee your MRI is exactly the same as it was when you went screamimg to the doctor..However, you probably experience a repeat of your pain a few times a year if your not careful. Thats because the injury isn't fully healed and you have reinjured it. Massage,ultrasound,and a shotgun approach to muscle care are the only things that will FIX your muscles. Exercise/time alone won't and you will have a lifetime of "my back went out again." This is a very complicated subject and I have only scratched the surface,but I hope atleast it will slow down a few folks from visiting the surgeon too quickly. They mean well,but,the only thing they have to offer is surgery(hence the title surgeon.) Stay well...body mechanics RULE! MasterBlade(not the surgical type)

BladeMaster
05-01-2004, 08:24 PM
Gabe(and others) 450 lbs. is a respectable lift. None of us is going for the Olympics except as a spectator. Studies show lighter wgts. that stress your muscle keeps them strong,flexible,with good endurance,helps prevent injury and life is good. I'm not talking about 5 lbs. light,but ,usually its not necessary to go for killer poundage for the average person to stay in great shape. A SWAT officer is going to have to be stronger and in better condition than an accountant for safety reasons,but,often macho thinking gets in the way of common sense. My Physical Therapy office is full of gym people who overdo thinking they are getting healthy. Too much Buff Mag. dudes on steroids that we foolishly compare ourselves to and feel lacking. Don't worry..their gonads are the size of raisins. WE can chat more about this later if you like. BladeMaster

michael
05-02-2004, 03:06 PM
I can relate to the back pain thing. I've had it for about 6 years now. Degenerated discs at L-5 S1 (there's two, not sure what the other is called). I've done everything short of surgery and won't go that route until it's so bad I can't stand it. I've done PT, vax-d (a total waste of $$, not to mention a rip off), chiropractor, strength training and stretching (which I still do and have for over 30 years). The only thing that gives me any relief at all is an inversion table. I can hang upside down on this thing when my back is really hurting and ease the pain. Never goes away completely, but it helps. Nothing takes it away completely. If I stand for more than 10 minutes, the sciatica starts, the right leg goes numb and the pain keeps getting worse until I sit or lie down. I've just learned to live with it, but surgery isn't an option for me until it's unbearable. I continue to work out and carry on normal activities, but sometimes it really sucks.

BladeMaster
05-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Michael, sorry to hear that only stretching worked,but,atleast you have some form of relief. Can you tell me what "vax-d"is? I can't figure out the shorthand. Blademaster

michael
05-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Michael, sorry to hear that only stretching worked,but,atleast you have some form of relief. Can you tell me what "vax-d"is? I can't figure out the shorthand. BlademasterIt's a procedure done by a chiropractor that's advertised in infomercials across the country. It stands for "vertebral axial decompression". Basically you lie face down on a table with your arms grasping handles over your head. A harness is attached around your waist that attaches to the bottom part of the table. In 30 second intervals, the bottom of the table that the harness is attached to moves, which stretches out your spinal cord. This is held for 20 seconds, released, and then the cycle is repeated 20 times. The procedure lasts about 30 minutes each time, and you are supposed to go for about 20 treatments. They claim a success rate of 75-80%, but I think that is probably an outright lie. They claim that this will cure the spinal discs. The only thing it did for me was cost about $2,000. I did as much research as I could beforehand, but it's probably about the only time in my life I've allowed myself to be taken for a ride. Apparently I'm not the only one though, as the local office has expanded into a huge new "Vax-D" center. I seriously thought about suing them, but that's just not my style. Their website for this garbage is www.vaxd.com (http://www.vaxd.com).

DaveJames
05-02-2004, 09:29 PM
Boy the back is the last thing you want to go , I KNOW, I have lost the disk in the L-4,5,6 area S-1,2,3 middle of the back between the lower shoulder blades have had 2 or 3 vertablade fuzed,,, streching,swiming,and walking are the only exercise now , no weight lifting at all.

BladeMaster
05-03-2004, 04:54 AM
Michael, That technique you described sounds like a tricked out,woo- woo, 21st centuriezd version of traction. As you have already experienced lying on your stomach is probably the worst position to be in for any length of time(even with a pillow under it). Also, for the most part traction doesn't work.Hospitals used to use it to keep your ass in bed so you would'nt hurt yourself further...they stoped 'cause it was found ineffective. Here's a secret,you can't separate the spine segments AND you can't pull discs in anyway or EVERY Orthopod and Neurosurgeon and Gereral Doc. would be doing it,because they really all want you to be pain free in the easiest,fastest way. Pain makes everyone really,really desperate after a while. Thanks for the heads up on the VEX-D ooops Vax-d woo-woo. Seeing a liar, ooops again, lawyer won't work either as traction is not a malpractice technique...sorry!! I wish you could and win. This forum is a good way to get back though:) Take care. BladeMaster

michael
05-03-2004, 08:01 AM
Blademaster, thanks for the info. Traction is not malpractice, but I paid the Lensgraf Clinic--there, I"m not afraid to name them for the thiefs and liars they are, cash up front for all my treatments. My insurance actually paid them a couple of months later, and they kept all the insurance paid PLUS the cash I gave them, so I essentially paid them twice. Sounds like thievery to me. I tell everyone at every opportunity about what a rip off vax-d and the Lensgraf clinic is. This is what I thought about suing them over, but it would have cost me more in attorney's fees than the 2,000 I would recover. I turned them in to the insurance company, but they didn't want to bother with it either. Dr. Beth Lensgraf claims to be a Christian and portrayed herself as such, but her actions speak otherwise. I sent her a detailed letter with documentation in case there was a misunderstanding, but it did not matter. With her Christian witness, we don't need enemies. What a disgrace to the legitimate Chiropractors and Christians in the world. Oh well, I'll get off my soapbox. Thanks for the info.

BladeMaster
05-03-2004, 06:46 PM
Whew! Man I'm really freakin speachless!!! PEOPLE #*?@&*#^!!! Stay with the good people, keep away from the bad people. BladeMaster