PDA

View Full Version : Book of Five Rings

georgel
04-14-2004, 08:43 PM
This isn't really a review, but I thought I'd ask opinions on the various interpetations/translations of Mushashi's work.
My first copy was by Kaufman and is written from the perspective of a martial artist, though I should mention that he says it is actually from the perspective if a "martialist" rather than an "artist". This book struck a chord with me, mirroring some things I already believed and expressing ideas that I readily accepted and felt were correct.
I have since run across a version on the web, a translation by Harris and immediately noticed differences. So, of course, I ran out and found yet another version by Cleary, apparently known for his translation of "The Art of War." They all differ to varying degrees, sometimes drastically, but the Kaufman text is definitely different and from what I've seen so far, is more of an interpetation than a translation. I like it though. It feels right. The others seem dry and confusing. Maybe it's just because I found it first. I'm still comparing them.
Anyone else looked at these and/or have any comments/recommendations?

Modern Technique
04-14-2004, 09:18 PM
Check the May issue of Black Belt Magazine. Theres an article there about Musashi's book by Gabe suarez

georgel
04-15-2004, 01:23 PM
Thanks MT. I'm assuming May is the current issue? I'll go try and find it.