PDA

View Full Version : Norinco Model 97

trackwolf
12-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the Norinco clones of the Winchester Model 97?

Also, any opinions (good or bad) on the utility of the Norinco Model 97 as a fighting (rather than cowboy action) shotgun? Will the Norinco continue to fire if you work the pump while depressing the trigger?

I have heard that the Norincos suffer from short chambers designed for 2 5/8" shells and inadequate forcing cones, and must be tweaked by a gunsmith.

Randy Harris
12-20-2006, 01:49 PM
My first one was a Christmas present in Dec of 2002.It blew out the extractor in September 2003. We sent it back to Davidson's and instead of fixing it, they sent me a newer model:D . (There is more than one generation of them).

The replacement has been fine, no problems, and it has better wood than the first one. At the time I was shooting 2 cowboy matches a month so it has been shot alot. Yes the hammer will fall if you hold the trigger back and work the slide-just like the real Winchester 97.

Would I use it for HD? Sure.The stock is a bit long, but not so bad that it is unusable. The action is a bit tight at first. (actually it is still tight now-I have not had any action work done to it) Mine works FINE with 2 3/4" shells, and I've shot buck and slugs in it with no issues. Not sure but maybe the 1st generation were sized for 2 5/8" shells (like the original). The bugs seem to have all been worked out now and I know several guys who have them and use them. Remember that these match guns get shot ALOT more than most guys ever shoot their HD shotgun. I would not hesitate to use it if I had to.

trackwolf
12-20-2006, 02:10 PM
I may have to send a revised letter to Santa!