PDA

View Full Version : Skate Board Tape

kforbus
04-14-2004, 06:21 PM
Does anyone use skateboard tape on their carry guns? If so what is the best grit/texture for not being to abrasive on the hands?

Did it stand up ok?

Where can you get it without having to buy enough to do 10 guns?

Alexii
04-14-2004, 06:39 PM
The best texture depends on how much callous you have on your palms. :D

Seriously, I personally don't mind buying enough for 10 handguns--they have other uses; such as lining the bathtub/shower stall/slippery tiles to prevent dangerous slips.

Just my $.02 worth.

banzai7
04-14-2004, 06:48 PM
forget the skateboard tape. If you can find deck tape at a marine supply store, get that instead. I was able to buy it by the foot and it's coated with a thin rubbery film.

RMF
04-14-2004, 08:03 PM
Go ahead and get enough for the ten guns. I change mine everytime I clean my guns. But then I like a rough grip.

Erich
04-15-2004, 07:09 AM
I bought deck tape for the frontstrap of my 1911 - works well. I've never changed it. I have enough left to do about 100 more guns, but the roll of tape was a whole lot cheaper than having a 'smith stipple the frame!

RedDevil
04-15-2004, 05:09 PM
I bought a foot of stair tread tape(basically the same thing). They sold it in gray and black. The latter being more gritty. It's 1" wide and fit perfect on the front strap of my 1911. I opted for the black because I like an aggressive grip. It's stayed on for over 3 months now and I still have enough for maybe 4 applications.

TexasCop
04-16-2004, 01:30 PM
Try heating it down with a hair dryer or heat gun after application, it seems to stay put better. Also before application clean the grip with Gunscrubber or rubbing alcohol to remove all traces of oil. I bought a couple of 1' x 2' sheets at Galyan's for less than $10 and have enought to do several guns.

GlockenHammer
04-16-2004, 03:35 PM
Gabe did a neat thing with his Glock. He put a piece on top of the slide in front of the rear sight. This helps with single-hand weapon manipulation drills such as using your knee to rack the slide. His demonstrations were quite convincing. I've been meaning to do that to my Glock as well...

Rob96
04-17-2004, 12:47 AM
I have it on the front strap of my 1911. I also put it on te sides of the front strap of my Glock 19, at points that were slippery to me.

DaveJames
04-17-2004, 01:06 PM
I did it a little different, I had a gallon of sanded deck paint to, do a handi-cap ramp, and I used that, I stripped the frame down on my duty SIG, and dipped into the paint then hung to dry, has worked great so far

Gecko
04-29-2004, 07:19 AM
What is the advantage of this over, say A-Grip, other than price? Seems like it would be a little hard on the hands during an extended range session.

stuntmedic
05-03-2004, 11:42 AM
This stuff looks pretty neat although a bit pricey:

http://www.ericwesselman.com/TrueGrit/Glock.html

It also states to use it with a blow dryer for a better application.

EricW
05-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Hi All,

I sell the grip tape listed in StuntMedic's post.

Grip tape really appeals to two categories of folks: LEO's and competition shooters. Grip tape is pretty limited in its application for concealed carry. If you use it on the side of your grips it tends to grab on your clothes, resulting in un-concealed carry. I use it on *my* carry guns just because I sell it and do it for durability testing purposes.

The big advantage to grip tape over everything else is that it locks you in to the gun better than anything else. The tape that I'm using to manufacture my grips is a shade less aggressive than the 3M ladder tread tape. The 3M tape seems like a really great idea until your hands start to bleed after long shooting or dryfire sessions. I finally found something less aggressive and am very happy with it. If the ladder tape is grinding your hands raw, you may wish to keep searching for something nicer.

I don't want to come on here and plug my stuff, but even if you never buy anything from me, you could learn a lot by checking out the installation instructions on my site. I really learned a lot about how to make the tape fit and stick well. Putting the tape on your side panels will help, but getting tape onto the frontstrap and backstrap/mainspring housing is where it really pays off, since that's where most of the force is on your grip.

Hope that helps.

E

Mil Novencientos Once
06-04-2004, 10:16 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid100/p3968744e99807d3b43a4dc0ea45acbed/f9e56225.jpg

Go find the closest skate shop around and ask for the Jessup brand. That's the one I've been using on my skateboards for years. Jessup is not as abrassive as 3M and I have not experienced any difficulties while drawing the gun from concealment.