PDA

View Full Version : "Slug Fest"

Wolfe
12-17-2006, 05:51 PM
Spent the afternoon working with my 870. I shot slugs out to 40 yards. I continue to be amazed and impressed by the power of the 12 gauge slug. At 25 yards, clay pidgeons on a dirt pile disappeared on impact leaving only a hole.

I shot some concrete roadbed core samples ( approx 8 inch diameter x 15 inch long concrete cylinders) from about 30 yards. With end shots, they shattered making big clouds of dust. With my 870 at least, I am able to get good, accurate and quick hits with the slugs. I would have no problem using them for medium range self defense. The recoil is not a problem when I use Rob Haught's push pull technique. Along the lines of nothing really being new, I understand that old time trick shooters used that method to control their long guns in rapid fire.

You got to love the shotgun.

spenceinva
12-18-2006, 08:09 PM
I too have been recently impressed with the power of slugs. I killed two deer a week ago with a 20 gauge slug gun. 250 grain Hornady SST, 92 yards and 73 yards complete pass through with good damage. Buddy has killed two with the 12 gauge version, 300 grain SST, 65 and 80 yards complete pass through as well with damage. Wouldn't want to get hit with one of these.

Spence

georgel
12-18-2006, 08:40 PM
I love my Brenneke's.:D

As much as most poo-poo the shotgun around here, there's a certain visceral satisfaction about launching a 1oz. chunk-o-lead on to a hard target. Much more satisfying than zipping those itty-bitty little 55-73gr'ers down range. Popping some cinder blocks at 100yds. always elicits an, "Oh yeah!"

steve b
12-23-2006, 07:17 AM
While I no longer use the slug gun for deer, have killed many with slugs yrs back. Mostly with the Brenneke's. My M37 loved them. Was invited to take that combo to Africa to back up friend for Buff.. Whole trip was outta my price range though. The Brenneke slugs were well thought of in Africa at that time anyway. The term "slugfest" makes my shoulder hurt ! OUCH. steve

Ragsbo
12-23-2006, 04:27 PM
What I have found with using slugs for deer hunting, is that each gun likes a different brand. Try as many as you can and when you find one that shoots best in your set up, keep using it. And don't try to use sabot slugs in a smooth bore, won't work. You need a rifled barrel. Other wise you are wasting money.

William Carter
12-23-2006, 08:09 PM
I have just rekindled the old shotgun flame. I think a couple weeks ago most of us advised you not to get rid of your ar-15. Thats still good advice. I have an ar that I keep for extreame home invasions. I have recently got a rem 1100 tactictal, and I have to admit I had forgotton the awsome power of a 12 ga., particularly for home def. The 1100 is mild recoiling with gas system. I have always had nightmares about running out of ammo, and thats the shotties weakness; low ammo cap., and slow reload. On the other hand if you hit a person with a full buck load or slug, even if the shot is off a little, the perp. will be in bad shape. Realistically, for home def. the chances of needing more than 8 rounds of buck/slug are remote. The 1100 tac. has removable chokes and the full choke keeps the pattern tight at hallway distance.

Wolfe
12-23-2006, 09:01 PM
The Ar-15 is a keeper for the time when the alien mother ship comes. The advise you guys gave was solid. The Ar may not be the gun I'll grab most of the time, but it's smart to have the option available if opportunity comes a calling.

But the shotgun is too much fun and too much power to ignore. Busting stuff with slugs serves as a mental health break.

The best shotgun advice I have been given is to spend the time patterning your shotgun with various loads until you know how your barrel shoots a particular load. I have found my 870 shoots Remington slugs well to POA. The Brennekes also do well. As for buckshot, the Remington Police Reduced load is okay but the Hornady TAP Buckshot pump gun load is exceptional, bordering on amazing, in the tight patterns it shoots out to 25 yards. I've heard the TAP load refered to a Vang Comp in a box. Other loads are all over the map. At least shotguns ammo is not so expensive as to break the bank testing loads.

alamo
12-24-2006, 05:03 AM
In summertime this year I taught a film producer how to use a shotgun as a self defense rifle against polar bears. He planed to go to Greenland to make an expedition movie in September. Only shotguns are permitted for selfdefense in G. He didn`t have to use the gun against a bear but told me a story about a man he met in G. who shot a polar bear with a Brennecke slug in May.

m700m
01-21-2007, 02:33 PM
i to use slugs in my 870s,i prefer remmington sluggers,point of impact is good to 65 yds,and they do heavy damage w/o penetration.:(

Invisible man
02-16-2007, 08:41 AM
I love my rem 1100. It holds 9 2 3/4 of anything you like. I think I would fear facing one of these more at close range than much of the other lot of defensive rifles.

Michael Biggs
02-17-2007, 04:57 PM
I love it when the masses rediscover the shotgun's worth. It is my favorite weapon. I like my pistols and my new Bushmaster, but I dearly love my Remington 870 Express.

Youngman
02-19-2007, 03:17 PM
and remember these are great on locks.....the slug did much better job....in fact it did the job....than a pistol or a rifle in destroying a paddlelock.....

Louie.M
03-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Hey,

You might want to give " www.dixieslugs.com (http://www.dixieslugs.com) " a try !

L.M.