PDA

View Full Version : Close Range Gunfighting - Abilene, TX 11/03

Les
04-13-2004, 06:49 PM
Gabe thanks for the class and this forum.

I’m sure there are a number of people that are in the same situation I was when I signed up for the Close Range Gunfighting class.

I had just received my “Concealed Handgun License” (…basically a License to Learn!).
If you think you’ve made up your mind to do what is necessary to defend your loved ones or yourself, you owe it to all interested parties to seek training. I’m talking about more than is required to pass the CHL exam. I walked out of my CHL qualification thinking I need a lot more, if the time ever comes. I suspect most people do.

I believe you never graduate from being a student. Gabe makes that clear in his training and the posts on this message board. If a new technique is being touted, he evaluates the application in his training. What more can you ask for? The very thing that attracted me to the course was this approach.

I won’t go into the details of the training. Refer to V42’s post for the best description of the class and curriculum. http://warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=555

I do like the approach of not getting hung up on equipment. I believe Gabe states it as the “fight is still on; it doesn’t matter if your gun stopped functioning”. I never thought of my pistol as an impact weapon. You will after completing the instruction.

You may not be a LEO or a Veteran but, you have entered the ranks of those willing to defend yourself and family. My hats off to both of these groups and we are honored by their presence in the training and contributions to the forum.

A couple of things to consider to prepare for the class – assuming you’re new to defensive training:

1. Read Gabe’s books. I read, “Tactical Pistol Marksmanship”, “The Tactical Pistol” and “The Combative Perspective”, before attending.

2. Take advantage of this forum. There is a considerable amount of knowledge on technique, equipment, ammunition, etc. that will help in your training. It could also save you some serious money when you find out you don’t need that $2,000 pistol to defend yourself.

Thanks again and I look forward to the next class I can attend.