PDA

View Full Version : proud new daddy

glock22fan
04-12-2004, 05:25 PM
I am the proud daddy of a new mossy 590! I love this shotgun! It just looks so mean,plus the 9 shell capacity is just awsome. This is my first "tactical" shotgun and would love any advice on accessories for my baby. It has the heat shield, and I bought a 6 shot side saddle. I would like some ghostring sights, but cant seem to find any that dont have " Installed by a compitant gunsmith" any ideas?? I am also eyeballing a new surefire fore-end. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks, Kris

Steve Collins
04-13-2004, 03:32 AM
Congratulations on your new baby! You already have one of the essentials, a spare ammo carrier. Don't get too wrapped around the axle about "accessorizing." Mossbergs ghost rings are great, but the bead sights will do most things. Add a simple, one inch carrying sling to it, then get some ammo and start shooting it! Please make sure you pattern it with different brands of buckshot, to see which patterns the best in your gun. Later, you can start looking at more of the high speed/low drag stuff. Good luck!

Harlequin
04-13-2004, 04:49 AM
What I was told is that in order to to install the Ghost Rings the barrel had to be modified, the front sight attached with some sort of glue, then the whole barrel refinished. Don't know if that's right or not but a dealer who I know knows his stuff explained it to me. Not a gunsmith, didn't understand all the lingo.

The only mods I put on mine is a Speedfeed pistol grip stock and a light. I'm sure the sidesaddle would have worked fine but since I want the pistol grip stock anyway it was only a few dollars more for the Speedfeed model. Hell, I might get a sidesaddle as well!

banzai7
04-13-2004, 07:43 AM
Any decent gunsmith could install the front sight with screws instead of brazing it on. My sights are screwed on, and I've never had a problem with them. And, I didn't have to refinish the barrel.

Sat_Cong
04-13-2004, 11:37 AM
Hey, Glock22,
I really enjoy my 500. If your receiver is tapped like the one on mine, you can add a rail, be sure to loc-tite the screws down, then find the red dot sight you like, attach it to the rail, viola, big ghost ring. Make sure you loc-tite the scope onto the rail as well. A Tac light is also useful! happy shooting!
Sat_Cong!

glock22fan
04-13-2004, 06:01 PM
Thanks for all of the replies! A red dot sight does soud very tempting, but i am woried about recoil and keeping zero. I patterned it with 00 buck in several brands, and what patterned best was remington 3" 00 buck. Between 5 and 15 yards those 15 00 pellets patterned nicely!! I was suprised with the accuracy with the bead sights and slugs. At 25 yards it was producing a cloverleaf pattern, at 50 yards the bead looked huge on the target,but I still managed 5-6" groups. I thought that was pretty acceptable for a shotgun. The slugs were the 1 ounce 2 3/4 winchester foster slugs@1600fps. I would love to get ahold of some LE ammo, mabey the reduced recoil stuff. Recoil doesnt realy bother me, but I would like to teach my wife to shoot it and I dont think my wife could handle the thumping the regular ammo has.

Kris

GLR40
04-14-2004, 02:51 AM
i dont like optics on shotguns myself, not for self defense anyway maybe turkey hunting?? they slow me down unless i am using slugs, and i mostly use buck in mine.

a light is essential also.

GR

countymountie
04-20-2004, 05:18 PM
Glock22Fan, we qualified with M590 bead sighted shotguns at the academy. From the 50yd line I could keep all slugs within the X-ring. For the intended use of a shottie the plain ole bead works just fine. It's not as high speed but it works and that's what counts. I'd save the money on the ghost rings and get a light unit for it.

BTW, not judging just curious, why are you using 3" shells? You lose capacity and gain recoil which slows down your follow up shot(s) IMO. The traditional 2 3/4" 00 Buck is a proven fight stopper, so to me the loss of capacity and greater recoil is no benefit versus the gain in ballistics from using a 3" shell. Maybe you know something I don't...please share your viewpoint so I can learn a new tactic or procedure. Thanks...

glock22fan
04-21-2004, 02:07 PM
Countymountie,

The 3" shell you are asking about is remmy's 3" mag 00 buck. This is the one that patterned best out of my gun. I will agree with you 100%, the 2 3/4 is a proven fight stopper,and doesnt thump you around as much. Capacity is only reduced by one shell, giving it a total of 7+1 (3") instead of 8+1(2 3/4).It also has 15 00 pellets instead of 9. Untill I can get some LE stuff (win ranger/reduced recoil, federal tactical..ect) I will stick with these. The slugs I shoot are regular 1oz foster slugs from winchester@1600fps.

I normally carry 7+1, 3" 00 buck with 6, 2 3/4 slugs in a side saddle. If you have a better idea please let me know, I am new to the "tactical scattergun" world. Also where would a non LEO get the LEO shot gun ammo? IS it worth it?

Kris

Kragg
04-22-2004, 08:15 PM
Glock22fan,
I have been able to find some of the low recoil buckshot at my local gunstore.Walmart had been carrying the remington reduced recoil slugs in my area, but i have not looked lately to see if they still have any. It could have been just a hunting season thing.

Also what is the difference in pattern size at say 15yd. between the magnum loads and standard rounds. I ask because I would rather have a slightly larger pattern and quicker follow up shots/ more capacity, who knows that last round might be the one that saves your life. In addition, you can train more with standard loads, not only are they cheaper, but they recoil less.

IMHO Birdshot(heavy field load) is good to learn on, rapid slide manipulation, reloading etc., but you should eventually train with full power ammo so that the recoil does not come as a surprise in a fight. I have a friend who was shooting a pump gun with standard loads at the range. I gave him some 3" magnums i did not want to shoot. The extra recoil caused him to short-stroke the gun the first two or three rounds he fired.

I did a google search for "low recoil buckshot" and found several sites where you could buy it. I use low recoil for several reasons. the high brass field loads (birdshot) are about equal in recoil = cheaper practice. Also i am faster with it, and i can train more due to less recoil. Standard isn't terrible with good technique, but low recoil helps when i screw up and do things wrong.

Harlequin
04-23-2004, 04:52 AM
I got my Ranger low recoil ammo at http://www.kieslersonline.com/product/ko_itemdetail.asp?prod=RA12005.

mercop
04-23-2004, 10:02 PM
Best thing to get for it is about 500 rnds of birdshot to break it in and learn to manipulate it. My agency issues 870 but I carry my 590. I have used it real world twice, once with OO Buck and once with a beanbag. Both with the desired result. For your SF forend email brightflashlites@aol.com. I doubt you will find a better price. BTW I am a Mossy armorer if you have any questions. Oh, one more thing. Replace the factory mag tube spring with the Mariner model. They are stronger.

glock22fan
04-25-2004, 06:45 AM
Thanks MERCOP, I thought about replacing the mag tube spring with a WOLF spring and replacing the follower with a dayglow model. Their are so many things I could do to this gun I just need to weigh the pros/cons and quit trying to over accessorise. :rolleyes:

Kris