PDA

View Full Version : Grip tape on my Spyderco?

HKinPA
10-07-2003, 05:58 AM
I got a full stainless "Police" model Spyderco a few years ago as a gift, I love the knife but that stainless handle isn't the most secure thing in my hand in the wet weather.

Does any one have any ideas, experience or thoughts on using grip tape or something similar on the handle? I dont think I'd be harming the finish on it, but I thought I'd ask.

sween1911
10-07-2003, 07:33 AM
HKinPA,

Hey, a fellow PA-person. It's funny you should mention that; I went through a similar experience with my SS Endura II.

I bought traction tape, the kind you put on steps for traction.
It's at Home Depot. Very aggressive, like 100 grit sandpaper, but affords great friction. As it wears, it tends to get a bit less rough, but still plenty grabby for a good grip, like sharp checkering. I removed the clip, wiped it down with rubbing alcohol, and started sticking. I initially was going to cover the whole left side, but divided it into oval shaped sections. One, about as big as a thumbprint, on the left side up near my right thumb. One piece I have overlaps across the backspacer, opposite the blade opening. It's up to you. Get a bunch of it, stick it on, try it out, cut some stuff, rip it off, clean it again, and re-cut and re-stick. It's up to you and what works for you. That's the beauty of stainless construction. Just clean it off and do it again.

(I wish I had a digital camera to show you mine. Maybe I'll get some pics up on my website when I get some time.)

HKinPA
10-07-2003, 09:53 AM
Hey Sween, thanks for the info. I think Home Depot will be on my list of errands this weekend! :cool:

Paul Gomez
10-07-2003, 09:54 AM
I had a fellow stipple the grip of my slick-handled Endura II. I think it cost $10 or $15. He also epoxied some denim fabric over the clip and part of the handle that rode outside of the pocket so that it blends in better. I think that cost another $5 or $10. His name was Mike Rupert. He's out of Ohio, as I recall.

MTS
10-07-2003, 10:08 AM
Paul Gomez,

I know Mike. I see him at the local Gun Shows once in a while. He keeps my Spyderco's sharpened up for me.:)

Paul Gomez
10-07-2003, 10:51 AM
Mike's a, umm, colorful character ain't he.:) He can definitely sharpen knives and does some neat, and very reasonably priced, mods also.

MTS
10-07-2003, 01:09 PM
Mike's a, umm, colorful character ain't he.:)

Yes, he is.:D

Lawrence Keeney
10-07-2003, 08:50 PM
There are several of the nicer Kershaw assisted opening folders, such as the Blur, that have inserts with the tackiness of skateboard tape.

The Blur is an excellent knife, and you can pick one up for about 50 bucks. It comes just as sharp as the Spyderco, and you can open it faster.

I have two of them, and they are firt rate.Frankly, I like them better than any spydercos I have, other than my Civilian and Matriarchs.

The small Masters of Defense folder, such as the 685 have the same sort of insert, and they come in a manual action too, if you cant carry an auto.

Gabriel Suarez
10-07-2003, 09:21 PM
Gents,

I experimented with friction tape, or as some call it "skateboard tape". It does give a solid grip, but not w/o a price.

On pistols, it tends to grab your cover garment and print, compromising concealment. On knife sides (ie. my old Spyderco Police circa 1987), it makes the knife stick in the pocket making the draw harder.

The best compromises on this that I've found is to leave the slick slab side knives in the armory and use either the popular G-10 scales (Chinook, AFCK, etc.), or the molded zytel handles (Cold Steel, Endura, etc.)

Shotgun
10-13-2003, 01:56 PM
I too have used skateboard tape, but never on a knife. Yet.

On pistols it does offer a definite improvement in "tackiness" (I'm talking about the feel, not the look! ha!) and a little goes a long way. My recommendation is to use it judiciously, i.e., sparingly. And experiment.

Yeah, that all steel side of the Spyderco Police has made me avoid what otherwise is apparently a very fine knife. I would be a bit concerned with getting too much friction on a pocket carried knife because it could slow or snag in the draw phase. One has to look for a golden mean to balance retention (in your pocket and in your hand) with ease of deployment.

HKinPA
10-13-2003, 10:53 PM
Well, I did it, I bought some traction tape (like you'd put on stairs) and traced out some basic patterns. Right now, the body of the handle, opposite the pocket clip, has the grippy tape on it from just above the lock release down to the bottom. Then I put a small piece below the clip.
I'll see how that works for now. Thanks for the tips everyone.
If I can, I'll attach a pic next time.

Be careful out there.....