PDA

View Full Version : Ar15 ???

jackinfl
04-06-2004, 06:58 PM
WTer's,
A question for all that could lend their two cents.
how would you set up an AR15 for Patrol work. Urban city work.
To get a clean shot on a suspect from good cover when the oppurtunity presents itself like setting up on an alarm or Robbery in progress or in an active shooter scenario. Or any other of the million scenarios that could present themselves.
The only mandatory accessory is a Sling. But which one?
No scopes permitted, however sight systems are permitted.
Light? where which one?
Night sights for the iron sights?
Trijicon reflex, EO Tech, aimpoint?

A-2 or A-3?
Colt, Bushmaster or Armalite?

mercop
04-06-2004, 08:40 PM
I am in the process of doing just this. I started with a Bushmaster M4. So far-
Badger Ordnance Tac Latch
HK91 Type Replacement Grip
A2 Stock (soon to be replaced by an entry stock)
YHM 4-Rail Hanguards (awesome)
Surefire G2 with clickie tail cap and shock isolated bezel (most inexpensive not cheapest way to mount a quality light)
Saving my pennies for a ARMS mount and an Aimpoint
My M4 like my shotgun will be use in three different set ups-
Patrol
Chest Harness
SWAT Vest
I went with a single point sling and just snap into whatever rig I need. For YHM hanguards and all things Surefire e-mail Calvin at Brightflashlites@aol.com. Great prices and service.

karl johnson
04-07-2004, 12:05 AM
I recommend you keep it simple. 16" lightweight barrel or Dissipator style top end, fixed carry handle, a few 20 round magazines, and white light. My 6V surefire is attached to the front sight with a GG&G sling thing, and it works well and provides a side mount for the sling. For a regular police patrol rifle I recommend a simple carry strap or bungie sling. The more complex slings are great for some uses, but are not ideal for the scenario you describe.

I used an Aimpoint, but it's not necessary. You might want to look into switching your front sight with an XS stripe, and the rear with XS's version because they are easier to use and inexpensive. Save the money on an electronic sight and SIRS and use it on a good rifle school.

Colt, Armalite, Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, and DPMS have all gotten very good reviews lately. Colt is expensive, Armalite will take forever to get one to you, Bushmaster has become the standard.

M700
04-07-2004, 12:05 AM
A few years ago another cop and I managed to set up the whole doggone department with Colt CAR-15's. The 16" lightweight barrel LE jobs. These things have been great patrol rifles. Excellent accuracy at our required ranges, max of 50 - 100 yards. Good "ergonomics" meaning that the 6-05 300 pounder can shoot 'em and so can the 5-02 115 pounder. Ours are as issued from Colt, with the older style black nylon sling. They are rugged, accurate, dependable, and easy to shoot.

We're using Federal 55 grain soft point ammo at Federal's recommendation. Zero malfunctions due to ammo. We did toss a couple of older magazines when they started messing up.

I'd like to augment the basic rifle with trijicon night sights, but we haven't scared up the cash for that yet.

Regards, Guy

GLR40
04-07-2004, 01:38 AM
mine is a colt lightweight preban (1-7" twist bbl) w/a collapsible stock, aimpoint sight, M3 surefire w/a GG&G SLiC mount, std sling, luminous front sight (dont remember brand) shooting 77gr black hills sierra matchking HP ammo.

jackinfl
04-08-2004, 10:33 AM
I am in the process of doing just this. I started with a Bushmaster M4. So far-
Badger Ordnance Tac Latch
HK91 Type Replacement Grip
A2 Stock (soon to be replaced by an entry stock)
YHM 4-Rail Hanguards (awesome)
Surefire G2 with clickie tail cap and shock isolated bezel (most inexpensive not cheapest way to mount a quality light)
Saving my pennies for a ARMS mount and an Aimpoint
My M4 like my shotgun will be use in three different set ups-
Patrol
Chest Harness
SWAT Vest
I went with a single point sling and just snap into whatever rig I need. For YHM hanguards and all things Surefire e-mail Calvin at Brightflashlites@aol.com. Great prices and service.

What is YMH handguards, I did a search but nothing came back. Which aimpoint model.

Does anyone have experience with Trijicon reflex, EO tech and others?
I was wondering if it is a need or a want. I think the night site front post and rear peep are a must. Do these work well with the other sight system????
Thanks

mercop
04-09-2004, 09:33 AM
My bad. Search for Yankee Hill Manufacturing. If you like them let me know I have a source. I am looking at the Aimpoint M2. I could never give up iron sights all together on a combat weapon.

Decado
04-09-2004, 10:40 AM
My Bushmaster is set up with a Blackhawk Swift Sling, Trijicon front & rear sights, Fobus rail mount (lower half of the forestock) and a Sure-Fire Classic 600 series light. I have used the EoTech and liked it but if I was to purchase my own it would probably be something that did not require batteries. I have also been told that the EoTech is not compatible with the Trijicon sights but I have no first hand knowledge of that. Right now I am going with the minimalist approach to my rifle. I recommend before placing any optics on the weapons that operators become very proficient with the iron sights first.

Decado

c4igrant
04-12-2004, 10:55 AM
For a sling I like single point slings like the CQB Solutions HST or MOUT. I also like the Daniel Defense CAR loop mount.

CQB Solutions MOUT
http://www.hunt101.com/img/064657.jpg

As far as lights go, it depends on if you railed HG's. If you do, then I would go with the SureFire M962C or M962SU06.

SF M962C
http://www.hunt101.com/img/065371.jpg

As for a dot optic, I like EOTech first and Aimpoint second. You won't go wrong with eithe of them.

As for the AR itself, I would go with an A4/M4 with a 14.5" or 16" barrel and ARMS #40/#40A2#40L BUIS. The LMT BUIS is also an excellent choice!

LMT BUIS
http://www.hunt101.com/img/112715.jpg

C4

www.gandrtactical.com

jackinfl
04-13-2004, 08:17 PM
This is what I have so far. I have an Armalite AR-15 A2. Colapsible stock, flash suppressor. LE model.
I put on a surefire millenium tactical light (old model no LED navigation lights)
GG&G front and rear sling things. CQB Solutions tactical sling (HK MP5 stlye)

I bought the A2 because I initially was not going to put a sight system on it, and I am still not 100% sure.
I am definitely going to put on front and rear trijicon night sights. I was providing cover on an arest warrant a 0 dark 30 and I could not see my sight s at all with the ambient light, not a good thing. One thing I found out though was how BRIGHT the light is.

I was considering taking the rear sling thing off and putting on the rear reciever mouned one. Any comments?

Thanks for all the input

DaveJames
04-14-2004, 12:58 AM
jack, pop over to the TAC forum and ask DocRogers and Pat,or do a search over there as it has been discussed alot, it will give you some insight