PDA

View Full Version : Close Range Gunfighting in SC

michael
04-05-2004, 09:37 AM
I just wanted to say thanks to Gabe for an awesome training session last weekend in Anderson, SC. Gents, if you haven't been to the Close Range Gunfighting class, you've really got to go. Gabe's knowledge and skill as an instructor are unsurpassed, and the knowledge that you will gain is immense. We even learned a new flashlight technique called the---, well, if you were there you know what I mean;). It was great to meet my new friends Georgel, VaughnT, Bill, Richard, RajunCajun and others. Hope to see you guys again at another session.

Bill Lance
04-05-2004, 01:36 PM
I agree. The class is excellent, and Gabe is as well. If you have not taken a Suarez class, do not pass on the opportunity. You will be glad you did. Many thanks to Hope at The Ronin Group also.

It was neat to put faces with names from WT, and enjoyable spending time with like-minded people.

Thanks again, Gabe!! You are truly a Christian Warrior most excellent.

Bill

VaughnT
04-05-2004, 04:56 PM
Well, it was definitely fun, wasn't it? I'm sunburned all over!

Gotta give Gabe credit as he's definitely one of the best public speakers I've every worked with. That is a very rare talent and much appreciated by this student.

Was it a reality check? Most assuredly. It was really amazing to see how little I knew of gunfighting and how quickly I fell back on old habits. How often did Gabe admonish us to "go slow" and give his tips and tricks a try? Even after giving clear instructions on the COF (remember that 3-man forward assualt drill?) I would drop back on what I knew and look like a fool. :o

Would I do it again? In a newyorkminute! Overall, it was rather inspirational to see, firsthand, just how far you can take this stuff.

Would I change anything? Nothing but my rear sight blowing up on the last shot of the course.

Look forward to seeing everyone again at the next course.

georgel
04-05-2004, 09:20 PM
Michael, you beat me to it. I was going to post last night, but I was too tired.

Ditto your comments. The class was great, everything I hoped it would be and more. Real world training for the real world. Plenty to keep thinking about, practice and apply. Not the usual stuff.
I too appreciated the er... "integrated technique". ;)

And what a great bunch of guys! I enjoyed meeting you all.

Looking forward to attending another class soon, if I can swing the logistics. Otherwise, planning to be back for the next one in Anderson.

Thanks Gabe!

PS - Just so there's "one story", for those that don't need to know, the logo on my hat is a consulting company specializing in risk management. :D

michael
04-06-2004, 07:20 AM
Georgel,
Can't wait for that t-shirt! It's gonna be cool, especially with no one else knowing what it means. I'd tell you but I'd have to kill u......:D. Definitiely looking forward to the next class. Is it next year yet?

georgel
04-06-2004, 12:16 PM
OK, a funny aside. Yesterday evening, I noticed that my lips felt odd, kind of numb, to the point that we put a call into the doctor. I decided to let it go for another day. This morning, I mentioned it to my wife that they were still numb and tingling. Upon looking at them in the daylight, she starts laughing. "Honey, they're sunburned." Doh!

michael
04-06-2004, 12:19 PM
OK, a funny aside. Yesterday evening, I noticed that my lips felt odd, kind of numb, to the point that we put a call into the doctor. I decided to let it go for another day. This morning, I mentioned it to my wife that they were still numb and tingling. Upon looking at them in the daylight, she starts laughing. "Honey, they're sunburned." Doh!

LOL!!:p:p My neck and arms were real sunburned. I think Gabe was the only smart one that slathered (is that a word?) the suntan lotion on the first day. This class has really re-energized me as far as training goes. I can't wait to get to the range and drill some of the things we learned.

Bill Lance
04-06-2004, 01:11 PM
Long sleeved shirts felt warm during the day, but I guess saved me some grief with the sun. :D

Michael, I definitely agree on the re-energation [is THAT a word??] reference training. I learned so much and it was relevant to real world survival. I could not be happier and cannot recommend Gabe higher.

My friends from the local SO are doing some ERT training this week--and plan on incorporating some of the material we learned to the group. I believe, eventually, they will incorporate most of it. That speaks to their appreciation of the material. And they are FULL of praise for Gabe as the instructor. :cool:

Again, it was good to meet all the other like-minded guys.

Stay safe everyone.

Bill

michael
04-06-2004, 01:56 PM
Bill,
I'm hoping to use some of the material for training at the SD where I am a Reserve. They are so far behind the curve that's it's sad, and don't have the $$ to do much about it. I guess you were the smart one too with the long sleeves;). It was good to meet you too. Stay safe.

Ragin Cajun
04-12-2004, 06:57 AM
Ditto on the comments on such a great class.

Just got back from vacation so I didn't have a chance to coment earlier.

The Suarez Harries (sp) integrated technique was quite the popular method. (I did promise, Gabe)

Don't know about reserve, etc training/quals, but for constable quals in SC we have to stand still and target shoot up to at least 25 yds weakhand!!!!! NO moving. Shehhhhhhhhhhhhhh. And at 15 yds using the Weaver Stance. Gotta wonder.

Now if I can only go SLOW for some of the practice drills . . .

michael
04-12-2004, 10:59 AM
It's going to be hard to "slow down" and qualify again the way "they" want us to. I'll have to resist the urge to do the SUL after firing--wouldn't want to give the square range guys a coronary! I think next time I have to qualify, I may try to do it blindfolded--at least that would be a challenge. No high speed, low drag stuff for my dept., only pure square range tactics.:confused:

Ragin, it was good to meet you. Take care and stay safe.:)

Gabriel Suarez
04-12-2004, 12:13 PM
Gents,

It was a pleasure to train with all of you. Kudos to Hope Summers and Ronin Group for facilitatimg the event. We are already in discussions about a training session for 2005. Hope was thinking about the carbine version of this class (Rifle Gunfighting). Then there is also a rifle/pistol combination such as I did earlier this year in Houston, Texas. There is also a possibility of doing a CRG 2 class.

Let me know what you guys would like to see, and we'll get about making it happen.

michael
04-12-2004, 01:26 PM
I would like to see the CRG 2 class, with maybe another day added on before or after for knife. The curriculum for the CRG 2 class looks to be awesome, and I definitely want to attend that one, if not in SC,then somewhere else. I'm in TN, but it's closer for me to come to Anderson than Memphis. My thanks also to Hope and The Ronin Group. They are great folks and it was good to work with them.

VaughnT
04-12-2004, 06:55 PM
I'd still kinda like to rappel down from the rooftop and bust through the windows like they do in the movies!

Or, just a CRG 2. Please.

georgel
04-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Another vote for the CRG 2 as I don't think I can make it to Vegas.

Michael, Gabe has a knife class scheduled for July 30 in Montgomery, Al. just before a CRG. I'm thinking about driving down for it.

Gabe, did you get my email? There were some problems with the system kicking my mail back and Trace was going to forward it to you.

George

Bill Lance
04-12-2004, 07:27 PM
I will add a vote for CRG II.

michael
04-13-2004, 06:16 AM
Michael, Gabe has a knife class scheduled for July 30 in Montgomery, Al. just before a CRG. I'm thinking about driving down for it.
George

I've thought about that too. It's a long haul, but I think I can make it. Shoot me a PM and let me know for sure if you can, and I'll go ahead and pay for it, before it sells out.

Gabriel Suarez
04-13-2004, 06:57 AM
Gabe, did you get my email? There were some problems with the system kicking my mail back and Trace was going to forward it to you.

George

No, for some reason I did not. Try direct at info@suarezinternational.com

Or just a PM