PDA

View Full Version : What's the word on CorBon's new DPX round?

PJS Safe Shooter
03-27-2004, 12:32 PM
Sounds interesting but similar to the Taurus Hex with perhaps a little better penetration. Anyone tested or used this stuff yet, particularly in .45acp?

Thanks,

Pat

coma
03-28-2004, 05:02 PM
I also like the fact that someone else is making a round with the x-bullet now. Maybe it will perform as well as the hunting rounds made with the same type of bullets. It will be interesting to see some test results from ammo lab, i do believe that david did not like the idea of pushing the bullet harder, but i dont think he tested any of the new corbon yet. But i could be wrong.

If they even come close to the performance of the other types of ammo made with the same type of bullet, I will buy and carry them.

STRIKER
04-02-2004, 02:02 PM
I just got some of the 9mm and 45ACP delivered today. The 40S&W rounds are back ordered. It will be interesting to see what they will do in the 9mm. I liked the Taurus Hex, but I think Corbon will do a better job with it. I just wonder if there is going to be any improved angles when it expands to get more tissue damage. I do like the idea of the high velocities though, so that you get a little less tissue penetration.

Steve Camp
04-02-2004, 02:50 PM
I do like the idea of the high velocities though, so that you get a little less tissue penetration.

Less penetration????? The Taurus Hex in .45ACP,
according to Taurus/PMC 185gr Hex Copper HP Test Results (http://www.ammolab.com/taurus_copper.htm) penetrated from 11.8in to 13.0in. IF you, as I, want 12-16" penetration, then I'd say Taurus had it just right. Well, maybe I'd like an extra inch, 12.8" - 14".

So... with less penetration you are going to fall out of the recommended / suggested penetration range of 12"-16".

TeamCORBON
04-02-2004, 05:11 PM
The 45 DPX has shown consistent penetration after a 4 layer denim barrier of 14-15 inches. The 9mm goes 15-16 inches thru the same barrier. The 40 is 12-13inches. As a matter of fact, the barrier and bare gel test was the same...no difference with a cloth barrier. 16 ga steel penetration is very good also!. We are designing the whole line of DPX handgun ammunition to fall within the 12 - 16 inch depth.

Steve Camp
04-02-2004, 05:42 PM
The 45 DPX has shown consistent penetration after a 4 layer denim barrier of 14-15 inches. The 9mm goes 15-16 inches thru the same barrier. The 40 is 12-13inches. As a matter of fact, the barrier and bare gel test was the same...no difference with a cloth barrier. 16 ga steel penetration is very good also!. We are designing the whole line of DPX handgun ammunition to fall within the 12 - 16 inch depth.

Wow! Those sound like GREAT numbers. It sounds like going to +P was a good thing!. Any chance, though, of a standard pressure .45ACP DPX round to match the original Taurus offering so as to not batter aluminum framed 1911s so bad?

Are your test results available on a website somewhere?

What sort of expanded diameters were you getting (esp. for the .45acp)?

STRIKER
04-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Less penetration????? The Taurus Hex in .45ACP,
according to Taurus/PMC 185gr Hex Copper HP Test Results (http://www.ammolab.com/taurus_copper.htm) penetrated from 11.8in to 13.0in. IF you, as I, want 12-16" penetration, then I'd say Taurus had it just right. Well, maybe I'd like an extra inch, 12.8" - 14".

So... with less penetration you are going to fall out of the recommended / suggested penetration range of 12"-16".

I was speaking mainly about the 9mm. I was quite happy with the Taurus Copper Hex rounds that I've used. But I think Corbon might be able to perfect on it more, since manufacturing ammunition is what they do for a living. I should have been more specific about which round I was talking about, so as to reduce any unwarranted criticism.

A previous discussion at Ammolab, had brought out that the Taurus Copper Hex round did not do as much tissue damage as you would think, because of the lack of an angle when it expands. I still like the round in a 45, whether it's +P or not. It's the 9mm that I'm interested in seeing how it performs, since the 9mm is what I carry. I personally like the Corbon Pow-R-ball 45ACP for my home handgun. But for now I'm going to stick with Gold Dot for my 9mm.

Steve Camp
04-02-2004, 07:42 PM
A previous discussion at Ammolab, had brought out that the Taurus Copper Hex round did not do as much tissue damage as you would think, because of the lack of an angle when it expands. I still like the round in a 45, whether it's +P or not. It's the 9mm that I'm interested in seeing how it performs, since the 9mm is what I carry. I personally like the Corbon Pow-R-ball 45ACP for my home handgun. But for now I'm going to stick with Gold Dot for my 9mm.

Sorry, I was not aware that the ammolab has forums. Guess I'll have to check that out. I was also unaware that the Taurus Copper Hex had ever been shipped / sold in 9mm. I thought they had only sold it in .45acp until the time they announced their withdrawal from the market.

Are you saying that the Taurus copper hex round, when expanded, and viewed from the side has a "rounded" profile -- not a sharp shoulder, so that the tissue (or gelatin) is pushed to the side, not so much crushed or cut? From the pictures at the ammolab, though, it seems that expanded PowrBall rounds are even more rounded than the pics of the expanded .45acp Copper Hex rounds. So, I am a little confused.

Also, Ammolab, if I remember correctly shows .45acp PowrBall expanding to .68in - .70in or so, whereas .45acp Copper Hex expanded all the way to like .82in - .85in or thereabouts.

Mwinter
04-03-2004, 12:00 AM
I for one was disappointed to not see the 105gr 9mm Barnes bullet used in a loading...DocGKR has mentioned it before as doing well in his tests, and that seemed like it would be a HECK of a light-recoiling 9mm round.

One thing I did really like about the Taurus .45ACP load is that it was standard pressure and still did the job in tests....I simply don't enjoy heavy perceived recoil/blast, especially in compact backup/offduty weapons. When I'm in the mood for that I load up my 10mm.

125gr +P 9mm? Plenty of good 124gr (standard and +p) 9mm out there, so it would have to do something remarkable to warrant my trying it.

TeamCORBON
04-03-2004, 07:48 AM
Expansion for the 45 ACP was .80 - .90. The 9 came in at .57 - .62. The 40 will be out shortly and we'll put numbers out for it also.

TeamCORBON
04-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Mike Shovel/Team Corbon,
I am not doubting you but those are very optimistic numbers for the Barnes X bullet and well beyond even the R&D tests.
What was the calibration speed and depth in each gelatin block for these tests and what weight denim are you using? Also what was the weight of your gelatin volume before pouring it as it appears that you may not be using a 10% formulation?

Gelatin was 10 percent. Everything was checked several times before testing began. These results were duplicated by an independent tester also in seperate testing. The denim barrier was a new pair of Levi's jeans that split from me putting on too many extra pounds!

I would gladly send you some for testing yourself if you'd like. All we ask is that you get back to us with your results. Let me know!

MTS
04-03-2004, 06:42 PM
Mike Shovel/Team Corbon,

Could I suggest that you put a section on your web site with your ballistic test info?

Mwinter
04-03-2004, 09:54 PM
Thank you David; I'd wondered who loaded it, as Doc's email simply stated 'Barnes 105gr'. Does BH still offer it, or was it a test/trial product?