PDA

View Full Version : New Military Shotgun

safestop
03-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Can any body fill me in on this weapon? I'd like to see If I can find where it is being made. Looks like a good addtion to my collection :)
Regards,
Fuzzy

U.S. Army's New Lightweight Shotgun System

After successfully testing a nine pound shotgun attachment (that went under the barrel of an M-16) in Afghanistan late last year, the army is shipping a new, and lighter, weapon of the same type to Afghanistan. The LSS (Lightweight Shotgun System) weighs less than three pounds ( 2 pounds, 11 ounces) and has a five round magazine, versus three for the earlier, nine pound, "Masterkey Breaching Module." The LSS is a 16.5 inch long, 12 gauge shotgun and can be operated right or left handed. It fires solid shot for blasting open closed doors, or lower velocity, non-lethal (most of the time) rubber slugs for dealing with hostile crowds without killing people. A stand-alone version weighs 4 pounds, 3 ounces, is 24 inches long (with the stock collapsed). The LSS was rushed through development, testing and manufacturing because troops in Iraq expressed a need for this weapon. A batch of 200 have been produced and 50 are on their way to Afghanistan for field tests during actual operations. The LSS proved very reliable during testing, with some 15,000 rounds being fired.

FROM http://www.strategypage.com/default.asp

MrMurphy
03-27-2004, 08:30 AM
It's a straight-pull bolt action with a detachable magazine, four or five rounds if I remember right. Mounts like an M203.

DaveJames
03-27-2004, 09:48 PM
From the Tac site its being reported that they are not liked for various reasons, one being weight, and balance, but thats all I've seen

sp0rk
06-07-2004, 10:38 PM
Wasn't one of the M16s in 'Predator' equipped with an underbarrel shotgun in place of a m203?

MrMurphy
06-10-2004, 04:56 PM
Yes, that was a cut down Remington 870 I believe..... you also noticed the huge Indian carrying it..... that would make an M16 rather front heavy. The 203 makes an M16 heavier as is, but at least it's not longer than the rifle.

hardcorps1775
06-18-2004, 10:25 AM
did you want pix or something? :confused:

it actually comes in two lengths, one for the 16 and one for the m4 carbine. 5 round mag.

Steve Camp
06-30-2004, 09:29 PM
16.5" length!? You're gonna have to pay the BATF man $200 and get a tax stamp as a short barreled shotgun (or is it an AOW?) in addition to the paperwork with your local chief LEO signing off on it... 'Course, maybe that is not a problem for you.

InTheBlack
07-03-2004, 12:37 AM
16" length??? Take a look at the location of the bolt handle. Move left 2 3/4" for the length of the shotshell, and it looks like you have maybe two inches of barrel length prior to the flash cone.

Is that a dot sight on top on the right?

If all you want to do is breach a door, a bang stick seems like a much better tool.

For a beanbag, how much velocity & accuracy do you get from a 2" barrel?