PDA

View Full Version : Ruger

dave-mo
10-06-2003, 11:02 AM
Anyone have any experience with the Ruger P series? :confused:

John Silver
10-06-2003, 11:23 AM
I've found them to be robust and reliable.

They are huge, and a bit rough. But, they always work and they are cheap. The mechanical accuracy is OK, but nothing Sig is going to worry about.

From a handling stand point, I personally don't like DA autos, but that is just me. The bore axis is high, the trigger a bit rough, the sights basic.

But, did I say they are reliable and cheap?

Vig Creed
10-06-2003, 11:33 AM
I never did like the older P series for the reasons DF stated above. However, when Ruger finally slimmed down and lightened their 45acp, I bought a SS Ruger P97DC 45acp and it is 100% relable, fairly light, smooth on the outside and the SA trigger is great. Better than Sigs, in fact.

For the money they are the top 45acp's on the market, IMO.

creed

Shotgun
10-10-2003, 01:03 PM
I have had a Ruger P-95 for years. Has been 100% reliable. Acquired a P-90 about a year ago, and have had a few failures to feed, which seem to be related to a fully loaded 8-round magazine. I routinely load 7 rounds now, and that seems to have solved the problem.

bill clancy
10-13-2003, 10:08 AM
I have an old Ruger P-90, thats built like a tank. It's not a great carry gun because of its size and weight, but I find that I shoot it a bit better than my Glock 19. It is ultra reliable. My main complaint is the slide mounted safety, which is so far from my short thumbs that I have to work the safety with my support hand.

bhands
10-16-2003, 07:31 PM
I have owned a Ruger P97DC for a couple of years. After shooting my 1911 the trigger takes getting used to, but after that, I dont mind it. When shooting off a bench rest it is not quite as accurate as my Colt or ParaOrdinace but when shooting quick off-hand shots I really dont notice much difference (except for the trigger) The Ruger is a little on the large side but I like it.
My biggest complaint is the itty bitty dots on the sights. I am thinking about some Ashley sights but I havent decided if that is what I really want. A few opinions on these sights would be appreciated.

sponge
10-23-2003, 05:53 AM
I traded a kimber for a p97 the grip felt nice to me. But traded again for a sp101 the 97 was pretty accurate with a nice trigger but i thought they cut corners on the ignition.Had an insuficiant primer strike every 100 rounds and even the 99 that went were light compared to the kimber or browning.I figured that the weight ratio between hammer and fire pin was to much hammer weight and the hammer momentum mostly stopped on the slide,maybe a rectangular and stainless pin added friction,compared to other designs.Compare it to the hk stainless which has a cylindrical black steel firing pin and barrel,But which of course cost more.The frame on the 97 is a fiber reinforced plastic that did away with the metal inserts of the other designs,another cost cutting idea which has so far worked.

Orive 8
10-23-2003, 06:33 AM
[My biggest complaint is the itty bitty dots on the sights. I am thinking about some Ashley sights but I havent decided if that is what I really want. A few opinions on these sights would be appreciated.]

My wife just recently started wearing progressive bi-focals and she ordered a set of Ashley sights for a Glock 19 that she was trying out several months ago. She found that the sights worked for her in speed drills. She found them very quick to pick up.

She liked the sights better than the gun and traded in the Glock last month.

I tried the sights on her gun and also liked the quick acquisition.

karl johnson
10-24-2003, 02:16 PM
Anyone have any experience with the Ruger P series? :confused:

I have none personally. However, when our local transit district went to private contractors (which I was all for 'cause I didn't want to be a bus cop) several of the guards opted for 9mm Ruger pistols. The range master in charge of them told me that they had 3X the failure rate of anything else, even Beretta, which surprised me, and it was always higher round count guns which broke some important internal spring or other. It was also not always consistent.

I don't know if these problems are an issue with knowledgable shooter who keeps up with basic maintainence, but for ig'nant troopers it might not be the best choice.

KarlJ

gary thornbury
11-08-2003, 09:33 PM
I have a ruger .45 acp p-97DC and it is very reliable. I shoot about 200 rounds a week in it --mainly handloads--and it doesnt jam. Ive had NO expericence with the 9mm P pistols.To get used to the DA --I bought some snap caps and and practice drawing and shooting O's in words during commercials on tv.The pistol is accurate for my uses and will consitently hit a man sized target at 100 yards.I also have a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 holster for carry and use Corbon Hp 230 gr. as carry ammo.Im very happy with the pistol.

gary thornbury
11-08-2003, 09:41 PM
I have a .45 acp P-97DC, I find it very reliable and accurate enough for my use. It will consistently hit at 100 yards on a man sized target. I shoot about 200 rounds a week , all handloads and have no jamming problems. For carry I have a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 .For carry ammo I use Cor-Bon 230gr.HP.I have blacked out the white dots on the sights and like it much better.