PDA

View Full Version : Low Light Gunfighting Class in Detroit

The Spook
03-24-2004, 08:20 AM
I recently returned from Suarez International's Low Light Gunfighting Course.

First off, I want to say that I have always wanted to do Surefire's classes as well as those by Combative Concepts and Startego, but without a badge, I'm a second class citizen and not allowed in the door. Many thanks for organizations like Suarez Int. that provide this data to the peasants in the salt mines.

The class wastaught by Wes Doss. Wes is not only an NRA trainer, but has trained many police organizations throughout the country. He is an "up and comer" and its good that Gabe has recognized talent and given him a venue to teach this material.

The class was very informative for me and the other students. The day began with a lecture and powerpoint presentation on the how, why, and when of light use and how the eyes work in the dark, etc.

We did a good bit of shooting with the drills that reinforced the lessons. The round count was slightly over 400. The remainder of the class was done in a force-on-force method with Airsoft guns. Needless to say, you can train in a shoothouse until as Gabe says, "the cows not only come home, but they fix you coffee as well", and not get the full flavor of what a low light gunfight is all about. Force on force gave a reality that nothing else could.

Negatives: Logistics were a little confused on Day One, but Wes managed to keep everything on track. We had hoped the rep from Pelican would have come to the class, but a family emergency kept him away.

All in all, I got what I expected, had a great time and learned stuff about low light gunfighting that I'd only read about in vague magazine articles. This class is a classic and I would not hesitate to take it again.

Thanks Suarez International!!

Richard
04-01-2004, 06:34 PM
I was also in the class and thought it very informative. I would also take it over if they come back to the area. If one of these classes comes to your area be sure to be there.

jackinfl
04-04-2004, 11:59 AM
I recently returned from Suarez International's Low Light Gunfighting Course.

First off, I want to say that I have always wanted to do Surefire's classes as well as those by Combative Concepts and Startego, but without a badge, I'm a second class citizen and not allowed in the door. Many thanks for organizations like Suarez Int. that provide this data to the peasants in the salt mines.

The class wastaught by Wes Doss. Wes is not only an NRA trainer, but has trained many police organizations throughout the country. He is an "up and comer" and its good that Gabe has recognized talent and given him a venue to teach this material.

The class was very informative for me and the other students. The day began with a lecture and powerpoint presentation on the how, why, and when of light use and how the eyes work in the dark, etc.

We did a good bit of shooting with the drills that reinforced the lessons. The round count was slightly over 400. The remainder of the class was done in a force-on-force method with Airsoft guns. Needless to say, you can train in a shoothouse until as Gabe says, "the cows not only come home, but they fix you coffee as well", and not get the full flavor of what a low light gunfight is all about. Force on force gave a reality that nothing else could.

Negatives: Logistics were a little confused on Day One, but Wes managed to keep everything on track. We had hoped the rep from Pelican would have come to the class, but a family emergency kept him away.

All in all, I got what I expected, had a great time and learned stuff about low light gunfighting that I'd only read about in vague magazine articles. This class is a classic and I would not hesitate to take it again.

Thanks Suarez International!!

First off I think the attitude of "if You're not a cop" you can not know these techniques is so absurd it scares me. I know that some Police agencies and some Police training is not for everyone, but the concept that we are teaching people police tactics is so ridiculous. IMHO the best training available is in the civilian world. Police trainers that don't want to go to civilian schools need to pull their heads out of the sand.

The true concerned citizen that is within his lawful right to carry a gun should seek training, if he or she does they are probably way ahead of the cop curve.

I am on a soap box. I know, but am I right?

Schools should not just disallow noncops, they should have guidelines. Records checks (within law to carry) no felonies, that sort of thing.

sorry for the rant but I am on your side.

Gabriel Suarez
04-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Jackinfl,

I remember when I began to attend training wayyyy back in the dark ages. The best training I received was not from the "official schools", or the dept. approved stuff. Rather it was from the private sector.

The idea that police schools have some sort of secret knowledge that can't be entrusted to lowly untrustworthy civilians is silly and elitist. There are just not that many ways to fight, and much of it is common sense applied in the combat environment. Short of operational team issues for hostage rescue or something like that, the stuff we teach to dedicated police courses is THE EXACT SAME STUFF we teach in our open courses. We hold nothing back...in fact, we are more open about some things when training private citizens.

Many official schools need nearly congressional approval just to change the round count in a basic pistol course. Its such a hassle that no evolution occurs. In the Private Sector, if a better way is discovered, it can be implemented at will, thus greater evolution and refinement can occur.