PDA

View Full Version : 19 mags in a 23 (17 mags in a 22 as well)?

pete f
09-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Has anyone else tried this? Am I the last on the planet to find this out?

Was at the local cop supply shop asking about used 23 mags. he said none in, but we got tons of 19 mags, they work fine. I am like hmmmmmmmm sounds like pull one on the new guy sorta line. But seeing as I have a 19 as well, I said ok I will take a few. Loaded them up with 13 40 S&W rounds, put it in the gun and lo and behold zero malfs. tried it again and same answer. Now have just fallen off the Noobie tree and never heard this or is this some lost secret of the Glock tribe?

Whisper
10-01-2006, 04:29 AM
Ummm, don't know how to break this to you, Pete, but yes, you are the last guy on the planet to find this out. But look on the bright side -- now you know. Knowledge is good.

Cheers,
DR

Hasher
10-01-2006, 06:10 AM
Why would you even bother? I mean the ban os over. Mags are cheap. I got my 23 mags for like $15 bucks a piece so why would you bother not doing it right? besides you can never have too many mags for a gun.

pete f
10-01-2006, 01:44 PM
I had never heard this, I knew 92 mags worked in a 96 beretta so those off shore 19 rounders would make it a 15 shot instead of a twelve, but had no idea 19's worked in a 23. just never made the leap.

The reason was used 19 mags were $5, new 23 mags, even on line with shipping etc run about 18-19 or more. The cheapest I have found online are 15.50 not counting shipping and handling....They have a big box of drop free 19 mags will be bag dropping a chunk of change on them on monday... and adding the blue mag bases (1.00 ea) to them so I dont load the 19 with .40's

crofrog
10-01-2006, 09:26 PM
I wouldn't trust the distance on between the lips of the mags should be different.

Skpotamus
10-02-2006, 10:13 AM
FWIW, I tried this once with a buddies glock 23 magazine in my glock 19. I couldn't even load the thing as the spacing on the magazine lips allowed the 9mm rounds to jump out.

You can pick up factory new standard capacity (not the clintonian limited capacity) mags for $20 in most places. Why bother messing with something that could cause failures to feed?

OregonShooter
10-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Bad idea. A 40S&W is a larger diameter and the feed lips should be too loose on a 9mm and vise versa.

Don't be cheap, buy the right gear.

southern son
10-02-2006, 12:52 PM
I asked a similar question awhile back when I stumbled onto the fact that g17 mags will fit a g22. It will actually work as I discovered when I tested it but I agree with everyone here. Not a good idea. Given that you can do it right/safely, why not? There is no downside to having the right gear. In a crisis then maybe but I would define crisis way down the road from inconvenience.

SS

pete f
10-02-2006, 07:27 PM
I am talking about 9mm mags in a 40 gun, not the other way around, and so far, 400 rounds and not one malf.

Echo_Four
10-02-2006, 09:53 PM
It works, but I wouldn't try to use 9mm in the gun after the .40 has had a chance to spread the lips on the magazine a little.

Pict
10-03-2006, 05:27 AM
Just a word of caution if anyone is temped to try cheaper mags in whatever gun they have.

A friend once noticed that my cheaper Taurus PT-92 mags looked very similar to his more expensive BDA-90 (compact CZ-75 clone) mags. He held one in the gun and tried to hand cycle a round and got an AD in my livingroom. Why the gun didn't go full auto I don't know but he blew away my printer.

Yes, his finger was alongside the frame.

I know that's not the case here with the Glock mags, but we didn't see this one coming. Mac

Echo_Four
10-03-2006, 08:43 AM
A magazine will not cause a slam fire. That is an issue with the gun, not the loading system. Magazines can lead to many problems, this just doesn't happen to be one of them.

Pict
10-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Echo Four,

We repeated the exerise with the gun empty and the hammer dropped every time. The shoulder of the mag was pushing up on something inside the mag well. The hammer would follow the slide closed. This was my friends carry gun and it was functioning perfectly with his own mags. Mac

billrobin
10-22-2012, 06:12 PM
I use G27,G23 and G22 mags in my converted .40/9mm G27/G26 and have never had a "malf" in over 600 rds. I however CCW with the proper magazines just out of good logic.

RayMich
10-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Bad idea. A 40S&W is a larger diameter and the feed lips should be too loose on a 9mm and vise versa.

Don't be cheap, buy the right gear.
^^^ This ^^^

Why skimp on something that some day you may have to rely on to save your life?

Sure, the G23 mags will fit in the G19 frame, but as stated above, the .40 S&W round is larger than the the 9mm so the feed lips are wider apart and will sooner or later cause feed problems. I would NOT want to risk my life on being a cheap-skate regardless of the price difference.