PDA

View Full Version : Green Guns?

Ammo Lab
03-23-2004, 01:02 PM
edited for content

MTS
03-23-2004, 01:15 PM
With the proliferation of new gun models with green frames i.e. Glock, XD, Wilson CQB, Walther P99, HK P2000, and the wide availability of green AR, HK, and FAL parts just what is it that makes the buyer want one?

The CDI factor of course.:D

sween1911
03-23-2004, 01:45 PM
My favorite color sceme for gear is black on black on black with black trim. Maybe stainless occasionally. :p

The green guns just don't do it for me.

JJ1
03-23-2004, 02:04 PM
David

Unless it is for military use or as a low profile park ranger, I do not see a big need for the green frame. In most cases the traditional black frames would be my choice.

JJ

Condition Brown
03-23-2004, 05:36 PM
My girlfriend complains that I need to add more color into my wardrobe.

I can't think of a better excuse to buy another Glock! ;)

k9dpd
03-23-2004, 10:14 PM
On the LE side black sticks out to much at night some green mixed in really helps break up the outline on a rifle

Dave T
03-24-2004, 08:04 AM
"...black sticks out to much at night..."

What?

I remember cops complaining about hard chrome and electroless nickle showing up too much at night. Now black stands out????????

I am obviously getting too old for this stuff...

Decado
03-24-2004, 11:04 AM
I recently bought a Springfield Armory Custom Loaded 1911-A1 with OD green finish. For me I just liked the looks of the OD green. I was recently told by a Cass III dealer, while looking at a green AK he had for sale, that the green was helpful in making the weapons hard to see with night vision.

Decado

tc300mag1
03-24-2004, 05:23 PM
I just think the Od green is ugly even the Mrs says the same thing and asked you arent gonna buy one of them ugly green guns are ya

westdesrat
03-25-2004, 12:36 PM
I think it has something to do with the rash of "tactical" products lately...and their popularity in the "civilian" market. I personally like the black on black look, from practical viewpoint.

In the field, in a military siuation, OD might have some advantages. Might.

karl johnson
03-25-2004, 01:20 PM
My AR has green furniture so that I could instantly pick it out of the rack at a course, or on qualification day.

I had my CZ75 .40 refinished in black over green because I thought it looked custom without looking pimpy. Kinda understated. A pistol with a visually large frame like that often looks bad in a lighter color, and I just like a two tone look. Plain black is just fine for issued guns, but I want mine to look a little unique. Maybe it's because I'm not a collector, and I put quite a lot of thought into a gun before I purchase it and then tend to keep it a long time, but I like just a touch of uniqueness about my most used pieces.

kforbus
03-25-2004, 03:39 PM
I think it has to do with the cool look of tactical. When I ordered my CQB, I had it done in all black. It is another marketing ploy.

Think I will patent green (tactical) ammo. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

westdesrat
03-26-2004, 06:37 PM
I think it has to do with the cool look of tactical. When I ordered my CQB, I had it done in all black. It is another marketing ploy.

Think I will patent green (tactical) ammo. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There is a company here in Utah (I think) by the name of TTI Armory that is putting out rounds with blackened brass casings already... so its not so far off...

karl johnson
03-26-2004, 08:34 PM
And a company called PCA, which stands for Polymer-Cased Ammunition, is selling plastic cased .223.

There is certainly no reason that the case color can't be whatever you would want it to be.

Justin_P
03-27-2004, 07:36 AM
With the proliferation of new gun models with green frames i.e. Glock, XD, Wilson CQB, Walther P99, HK P2000, and the wide availability of green AR, HK, and FAL parts just what is it that makes the buyer want one?

'cause it's puuuurrrty, Dave! Duh!

Bonk
04-05-2004, 06:41 PM
There's only one reason that I can see:

To trigger the customer's inner "damn, that's cool, I want it" voice. :)

Steve Camp
04-05-2004, 07:11 PM
<snip...>
I was recently told by a Cass III dealer, while looking at a green AK he had for sale, that the green was helpful in making the weapons hard to see with night vision.

Can anyone confirm or refute this statement about green or olive drab finishes being hard(er) to see in NV goggles or other NV equipment?

I asked / mentioned this one night in chat.ar15.com... and practically got laughed out of the chat room that night... so, personally, I suspect this is an urban myth .

Mil Novencientos Once
04-08-2004, 02:50 PM
http://www.gloveslingers.com/images/james/worthless.gif

JodyH
04-08-2004, 06:25 PM
I own an OD P99 and like the looks of it.
Two tone stainless over black look like pimp guns to me.
Different strokes for different folks.

glock22fan
04-12-2004, 05:48 PM
I second west's reply. It is somthing different that has caught on and will probably fade out. my personal pref. Is black on black, and being a civilian that is all I need. From a military standpoint it might have some usefullness, but for me I'll pass.

Kris

Sleuth
04-13-2004, 02:52 PM
It's just different. For generations, handguns came in black (blue) or gray/green (parkerized), or nickle. Now, with all the new finishes, I have seen the green, red, bright blue, and multicolored. I even own a blue slide over gold frame pistol (he offered to refinish/reanodize the frame, but never told me it would be Gold!!! Actually, it looks OK, kind of a matt gold, not glossy.)
The red guns looked ugly, but, it "floated his boat', so who cares. It was nothing a new finish could not fix.

gary thornbury
04-13-2004, 06:44 PM
for what its worth, wild hogs cannt see the greenlight and it makes them easy targets,maybe the stealth hog weapon????????