PDA

View Full Version : So...I am venting.....

Jujutsuka
09-22-2006, 06:15 PM
I seriously heard this quote today -

"I thought you just point and shoot...?....?...."

- from someone I *should* be able to trust with my life after they missed 4 out of 5 targets with a shotgun at 5-10'

Michael Biggs
09-22-2006, 07:15 PM
I seriously heard this quote today -

"I thought you just point and shoot...?....?...."

- from someone I *should* be able to trust with my life after they missed 4 out of 5 targets with a shotgun at 5-10'

Get a new partner or give/get proper training for the one you have (if you intend to keep him/her).

szbert
09-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Take him out for some skeet, 5 stand or sporting clays and see how well he does with the shotgun on moving targets. He should get the message really quick that there is skill involved.

Rob72
09-25-2006, 07:18 AM
With my first shotty, I was under a similar "misapprehension". I went skeet shooting with a friend (my 18" 1300, his 24" 1100)- hey, its like a sky-broom, right? I discovered real fast, if i didn't aim and get them within about 5-10", they were gone!:eek: :D

steve b
09-25-2006, 09:13 AM
As a long time birdhunter, I find this funny ! Yes, you just point and shoot, But ya gotta point AT THE TARGET ! LOL. In the pursuit of grouse etc.. I've tried trap,skeet and clays. All have something to teach. The first time you shoot clays is humbling to say the least. Here on WT, this has a limited applicication I know. Except that I agree with the BOSS, let a shotgun be a shotgun. I've heard LE talk about absolutely dreading their yearly shotgun training. I can understand it too, max eq., loads of buck or slug hurt at both ends. steve

sween1911
10-19-2006, 08:31 AM
One of the urban legends about the scattergun that still trickles down despite the progressive training that is becoming more and more available. I still remember the words "All you need to know about shooting the shotgun is North, South, East, West". Then I went out on the range and saw the size of patterns at various distances.

There's a lot of truth in "learn by doing".