PDA

View Full Version : Luke 22:38 - "It is enough"

garrettwc
10-05-2003, 08:04 PM
Luke 22:38 "The disciples said, "See, Lord, here are two swords."
"That is enough," he replied. "

Gear has evolved tremdously over the years. We've come along way since drop holsters and 38 revolvers. In fact, we now have so many choices that making the right decision can be difficult. We've all seen the "gun of the month" articles. To that end a lot of time can be wasted searching for "Excalibur".

How do you decide when your chosen gear is enough?

Gabriel Suarez
10-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Determine what you really need and get stuff to help you accomplish that mission.

John Silver
10-05-2003, 08:57 PM
On one hand, define the parameters of what you need, find and test gear until you have them filled, and it's enough.

That being said, we tend to be guys who love gadgets. And, we keep redefining those parameters to justify another purchase. I'm getting better about it, but we all do it.

I've given up on Excaliber. In other words, I sold off all (well, most) of my 1911s and I'm moving to combat tupperware. That will help quite a bit. Nothing sucks money like a 1911 fetish.

I like my pocket knife and have finally made myself realize I don't need another one.

Holsters - been there, have the three boxes of them. But, now I know, so I know what to buy for the Glocks.

What did it for me was looking around, realizing I'm a civilian that could outfit a small army and was coming dangerously close to resembling Batman. I scaled back and am happier for it.

It also helps the debt thing, and that was a big one. No one shouldn carry debt and the Bible is against it, so I have worked to knock out all I can.

garrettwc
10-05-2003, 09:24 PM
On one hand, define the parameters of what you need, find and test gear until you have them filled, and it's enough.

That being said, we tend to be guys who love gadgets. And, we keep redefining those parameters to justify another purchase. I'm getting better about it, but we all do it.

Gabe and Drifting Fate, that is what I am looking for advice on. I agree that one needs to define the parameters. I think I have that basically done. It's that second part, getting caught up in being a gear head that I fear.

The money spent(lost) buying and selling various guns could buy a lot of practice ammo and training.

John Silver
10-05-2003, 10:46 PM
Since I'm NOT the professional trainer here, I am of course obliged to respond.

If you define what type of gear will match your parameters, you can eliminate a lot. I want a low bore axis and consistant trigger on my pistols. Right there, I can forget about a lot of high quality pistols because they don't meet that criteria.

Some things you will just have to try. It's why we all have boxes and boxes of holsters. When it doubt, try the most popular and basic styles first. There is a reason the Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB holster is a classic used by thousands of people.

Accept that there is no Holy Grail of gear. Everything has a down side to it. And, be honest with yourself. What do you NEED. You probably don't need a full blown Les Baer, but they are neat. Is it worth the cost to you?

Pick up that new item you want, and ask yourself "is it doing something for me that isn't already being done? Does it do something so much better that it's worth the cost? Do I really need what this offers? Or, is it just cool?" Once you get the basic gear, you are probably going to find everything else is just cool.

Belt, holster, pistol, magazine, magazine pouch, flashlight, folding knife. If you buy good quality the first time around, you are probably going to be just fine. You are right to be concerned, ammo and training are the most important things.

garrettwc
10-06-2003, 11:15 AM
Drifting, you may be on to something. I have been looking at the external parameters (caliber, size, reputation, etc) for various pieces of gear for the most part. That leaves a pretty broad field.

When I internalize it more, "What specifically do I like about this pistol?" the field narrows considerably. Like you I like a consistent trigger, sitting low in the hand. I prefer guns with no sharp edges, because I have noticed the "bite" induces flinching rather quickly.

The Les Baer comment was spot on. I do have occasional flashes of clarity :p . I had a chance to get a great deal on one recently, and it was very nice looking, but to me it was a useless safe queen, so I passed.

DLS
10-11-2003, 08:52 AM
"Nothing sucks money like a 1911 fetish..."
Oh man, ain't that the truth.

"we tend to be guys who love gadgets..."
Another spot on observation, sir.

I happen to be a huge fan of the 1911 platform, I'm not saying it's the best, nor the right pistol for everyone, just my personal favorite.

I've been through the bells & whistle phase with old slab-sides and came to the realization years back that what I'm most happy with and works the best for me, is a plain vanilla government model or a USGI.

What works for me won't necessarily work for anyone else and I couldn't agree with more with Gabe's statement.

This is my Franken45 that I built this spring from mostly GI parts, with a Caspian frame. It most certainly will not win any beauty contests, but it works first time, every time.

Pretty is, as pretty does.
http://www.gunpix.com/gallery/Handguns/Semi-Autos/franken45.jpg