PDA

View Full Version : Blade Tech Holsters

kforbus
03-14-2004, 02:49 PM
I am going to buy me new Kydex and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Blade Tech and their Techlock System?

Does it make the weapon and magazine carriers stick out more or are they pretty tight to the body?

Are the locks durable?

Adjustability to different belt widths?

Any info would be great, thanks

ken

mercop
03-15-2004, 08:35 AM
I have and love the following-
Belt Scabbard for Glock 19/23
IWB Glock 19/23
Mag Pouch Glock 19/23 also have given several as gifts
Surefire 8X Bezel down light holder
ASP Baton Pouch on Order

That said, I love their stuff. The tekloc is the heat. Talk about adjustment. The belt holster has shims for different belts. The only thing I don't like is the wait. Took me almost a month to get my IWB.

Condition Brown
03-15-2004, 09:32 PM
My "range" holsters on all of my pistols are Blade-Tech OWB straight drop with the 1.75" belt loop features. I like the shims they provide to adjust to different belt widths. I have not been impressed with the TechLok feature, as that option has a tendency to chew up my belts.

I am further not impressed with their IWB selection (due to lack of comfort), or their injected-molded plastic low end holsters (that material affects the draw of the pistol). Stick with the higher-end kydex material.

If you want an excellent kydex holster that is VERY close to the body, check out the modular OWB option from SideArmor (http://www.sidearmor.net). It also has a great rotator feature, so you can adjust the cant to your liking. Because of that feature, I highly recommend that holster to new shooters and women who really want to experiment with cant/rake.

For IWB, my favorite kydex holster is the Comp-Tac (http://www.comp-tac.com) Ghurka, especially since it is SO EASY to take on/off.

If you buy Blade-Tech, try to find your product through a dealer/distributor; you will get it faster. If you choose to buy from SideArmor or Comp-Tac, both have outstanding customer service and will turn your order around ASAP.

Obiwan
03-16-2004, 07:08 AM
http://www.cen-dex.com/

I recently heard Pat Rogers say that these were "better than Blade-Tech

MrMurphy
03-20-2004, 07:16 PM
Blade-Tech OWBs are ok, but i rid myself of the IWB (my first carry holster) for a Comp-Tac Gurkha and never looked back. I could wear the BT for a couple hours comfortably then have to adjust or remove it. First day with the Comp-Tac I had it on 14 hours, never noticed it till hour 13.

Two months back I put the holster and gun on, noon Friday. Took it off finally about 1pm Saturday. Was up and moving the entire day/night/day including 400 miles by very cramped car. That holster is WELL worth the money. The new C-TAC is even better. I carry a G30, which isn't exactly thin either.

Paul Gomez
03-21-2004, 05:25 PM
www.comp-tac.com and www.rmholsters.com are my preferences.

Both offer very high quality gear and excellant customer service.

Decado
03-24-2004, 08:42 AM
Today I received my Blade-Tech OWB holster for my SA 1911-A1. I ordered the holster on the 16th of this month. I ordered the straight drop with 1.75" belt loops, which is thier standard model. The two shims that were included make the holster fit tight to my belt and the whole rig is very comfortable. I carry my G-30 in a similar set up. I am very happy with Blade-Tech products and would not hesitate to buy from them again.

Decado

VaughnT
03-26-2004, 01:13 PM
Well, my experience with BladeTech goes both ways. I'm not a fan of kydex concealment holsters, especially IWBs, but I do use their product for my duty rig.

The pistol holster is a dropped/offset full-coverage custom job identical to what they offer for light-equipped pistols except that mine doesn't accomodate a light. So far, the holster body has proven very durable and looks like new even though it's been in and out of the truck a thousand times over the year.

The original hanger was made of very thin kydex and snapped rather quickly. The replacement is easily twice as thick and is standing up well to the rigors of the job.

The magazine holder I originally bought was a double-mag style. From the first, I was very, very dissatisfied with the quality of construction and weak hold. I made due but wasn't at all sad when the outer layer caught on the bulkhead and snapped the thing in two.

I made a call to BladeTech and Tom Crawford (?) offered to replace the unit if I would just send him back the broken piece. When I told him that wasn't possible because I wouldn't have any way to carry my reloads while working (not a good idea), he offered to send me the replacement first. I still haven't seen that replacement and it's been several months.

Well, a second call and I got Bobby. He's definitely the man to deal with and had new gear out to me real quick. Instead of the double-mag holder, I went with two single-mag holders and placed them side by side on the duty belt. This actually works much better and I'm sorry I didn't think of it sooner.

The TekLok feature is nice in that it allows you to strip the belt quickly. If that's not important, don't bother with it. If you have a bit of flub hanging over the belt (I have bunches) the added distance the lok creates can be a very good thing. If you do go with the TL, make sure to get the locking clip.

Would I buy from BT again? I guess. I'm a bit pissed that Crawford didn't do what he said he would, and that I had to pay cash money for new gear just like anyone ordering off their site, but the stuff is good quality and should last for several years. Truthfully, if it wasn't for this SI class I'm taking next month, I probably would have made due with what I had or found another supplier. As it is, I didn't want to show up to a Suarez class with ugly, wornout belt fixin's.