PDA

View Full Version : Under Armour

RedDevil
03-13-2004, 08:19 AM
Does anyone here have hot weather experience with Under Armour? Summer is almost here in Arizona and I'll be working where temps will be 130 + degrees. Some stores sell UA locally but I'd like to know if it really works before spending the $$.

MTS
03-13-2004, 10:13 AM
I wear them here in Ohio. Our summers can get up to the mid 90's (temperature and humidity).

They seem to be better than a standard cotton t-shirt.

My $0.02.

JodyH
03-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Be aware that synthetic shirts hold in smells.
If you sweat in synthetic, you are gonna stink.
I have used similar shirts while backpacking, and they definately trap odors for some reason.
Cotton doesn't smell nearly as bad.
Other than that, they work great.

Grey Wolf
03-14-2004, 12:30 AM
I have a few of the UA shirts that I wear on duty when it gets hot. They are worn under my body armor and do a decent job of keeping me comfortable.

They do stink when you get hot, but so does the armor when you wear it in the extreme heat. I am not sure about wearing them as a everyday under shirt. For the price I think I would stick to cotton Haynes for off duty carry. But then again I tend to stay inside when its that hot!

The only true test is to try them for yourself. If you do let us know what you think.

bradvanhorn
03-14-2004, 07:07 AM
I recently used Under Armour shirts over in Iraq, and I think they are superb. They feel slick (silky maybe), but after a full day in an interceptor vest, my shirt was basically dry (my cammie top was wet instead). I have turned most of my cotton t-shirts into rags, and have switched almost exclusively to Under Armour for wear in uniform.

VaughnT
03-14-2004, 07:08 AM
Two of the guys at work use them, but they stink with or without a shirt. As I understand it, the UA isn't anything more than a glamorized polyester shirt. As such, I would just shop around for some cheaper biking shirts.

Also note that www.duluthtrading.com has polyester boxerbriefs for sale. You can get two pair for @ $20.

RedDevil
03-14-2004, 08:31 AM
I work at the airport loading planes and our uniform is a cotton golf shirt or polyester shirt. At the end of the day everyone stinks so I'm not too concerned with that. I've used the poly-pro T's when backpacking but the UA looks more form fitting which looks more comfortable. I'll have to try them out I guess. Thanks for the link VaughnT.

Steve Camp
03-14-2004, 09:14 AM
You may want to have a look at BulletProofMe.com sweat wicking undershirts (http://www.bulletproofme.com/Body_Armor_Accessories_Concealable.shtml).

They are probably a similar (if not identical) synthetic material as UA and they are only $14 each via the website.

Low Drag
03-14-2004, 02:31 PM
I've used the UA shirts while kayak touring in hot weather under my PFD. It prevents chaffing. I rinse all my stuff at the end of a day of paddling to get the salt off. As for smelling bad, heck I smell pretty bad after a day of sweating my butt off. They are a glorified poly shirt, but they hold up well when worn under stuff like pads, body armor or my PFD.
They are a bit oversized so try it on before you buy.

Stickman
03-23-2004, 02:03 PM
If you get ahold of a Campmor catalog or visit their online site, you can usually find Duofold tees for a cheaper price than the UnderArmor stuff. Same poly/synthetic principle, lower price, usually around $6. Like someone mentioned before, you will have the smell, but it dries quicker and breathes better. I have a Mountain Hardwear synthetic tee for backpacking that I would wear every day if I could, but I can't afford to buy them more than once every year and a half or so.

Bonk
03-27-2004, 10:42 AM
I have a set of the cold gear that I wear at work and when playing hockey. They're about midway in terms of warmth between a cotton t-shirt and mid-weight polypro. My only beef is that the pants don't have a fly, which makes trying to take a quick leak while wearing a gunbelt tricky. :p

HKinPA
03-28-2004, 12:16 PM
If the price bothers you with UA stuff, try these guys.

I have one of their hot weather T's and they work just as well as UA.

http://www.zyflex.com/

VaughnT
03-28-2004, 06:09 PM
Thanks, HK, for the zyflex tip. I emailed them about their shirts as I need something that's tuckable, but the sleeves can't stick out from under my uniform shirt. I might have to go with the sleeveless shirts, but I'm still curious about the body's length and tuckability.

Definitely looks promising, though.

Ever try their compression shorts? Are those supposed to replace your undies? Or do you wear them over the tighty-whiteys?

HKinPA
03-28-2004, 07:12 PM
I've never had my UA shirts show at the sleeves, but I do have 2 sleeveless pairs. Tuckability varies sometimes. I wear a large and out of my 3 pairs of UA shirts, one of them is a bit short and never stays tucked. I think it was a fluke.

I have one pair of the compression shorts. I use it place of undies. They're quite comfortable, I do but agree with Bonk, no fly is a hassle when trying to gain access past a duty belt and a zipper. :eek:

mercop
03-28-2004, 07:31 PM
I wear Polar Max for cold weather and their Acclimate for the heat. I love them. Their briefs are good for keeping your nasty bits dry too.

VaughnT
04-14-2004, 05:03 PM
Just to update, I picked up a UA shirt yesterday. At $30 per, they are mighty expensive, but it fit perfectly and I wanted to test the waters. The Loose-fit stuff is very comfy and long enough to stay tucked in all day.

I'm definitely going to have to look for a cheaper brand if I want to get a week's worth....or I might have to scrimp on the practice ammo. :(

RedDevil
04-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Well, I bought my heat t-shirt at Sports Authority. They sell them for $25. I bought the tight fitting one and I find it works quite well. After intense execise in 90 degree weather, my uniform shirt does not get wet. I can feel the UA shirt wet but it evaporates within 5 minutes.

HKinPA
06-21-2004, 07:05 PM
CHEAP UA STYLE SHIRTS. 6/21/04

I was widdling away some time at the local Wal-Mart today (in SE. Penna.)when I saw "knock-off" UA shirts in black and white, sleeveless, short sleeve and long sleeve. I think it's WalMarts brand, but not sure. Either way they were only
$9.88!! :D :D They looked and felt like UA stuff to me.

I wore it later in the day. I seemed to work just as well.
If you dont trust this off brand, They also carried STARTER brand UA -Style shirts for just over $11.00.

Just thought I'd pass it along.

combat effective
06-22-2004, 05:08 AM
I have on UA and one Nike Dryfit shirt that I like to wear when I'll be pulling a lot of outdoor duty on a hot day. They don't get soaking wet and wrinkled up under my ballistic vest.

TonyM
06-27-2004, 07:20 AM
I bought a UA heatwear T shirt and a long sleeved T shirt. I usually wear a XL but I bought theXXL because the XL was too tight under my arms. I wore the T shirt once and I still think it is too tight under my arms. I am going to take back the long sleeve shirt (unworn) and trade it in for a sleeveless shirt. The one time I wore the T shirt I'm not sure I was any cooler but, I was somewhat drier.

TonyM
06-29-2004, 07:56 PM
I took the UA out for a real test drive, 98 degrees with 100% humidity. I wore the UA's under my BDU's (T and drawers) I also was wearing a thigh rig on the right and a spent mag pouch on the left side, a chest rig and a Camelbak.
The UA performed very well. Underneath I felt dry but my outer clothing was completely soaked. When there was a slight breeze I almost felt a chill. My biggest complaint besides the inital cost is that the T shirt is tight under my arms, and there is no opening in the drawers for a pit stop.
Will I buy more? Not sure. I will wear the set I have for a while before I make that decision.