PDA

View Full Version : 155gr vs. 165gr vs. 180gr 10mm

Mountain Gunner
03-09-2004, 11:51 PM
I am in the process of selecting a new 10mm carry load. Below are some of the options I am considering. I posted regarding the RowRball a while ago and while I am still considering it, I am wondering about some of the different Gold Dot offerings. Specifically, what bullet weight performs best? I understand that bullet weight performance can depend on the situation but I am simply looking for one round that I can carry all year (winter and summer). I am only concerned with 2 legged critters and over penetration is a concern.

Pro Load:155gr. or 180gr. Gold Dot
Georgia Arms: 155gr. or 180gr. Gold Dot
DoubleTap:155gr., 165gr. or 180gr. Gold Dot
Corbon: 135gr. PowRball

Pro Load seems to have a good reputation for producing quality ammo. Georgia Arms offers a more affordable option, which allows me to send more rounds down range. DoubleTap is priced in the middle and offers higher velocities. I am also attracted to Corbon's PowRball due to it's lessoning of the risk of a "plugged" hollow point resulting in no expansion.

Help? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

DaveJames
03-10-2004, 01:05 AM
For carry with in your stats, I would go as follows

Powball
Proload
Double tap, I would stay away from the heavives, and Georiga Arms, I have had too much trouble with their loadings of late, and only use theirs for practice, untill its gone then will move on to another.

The Double Tap I listed 3rd, only due to the fact I don't hav alot of trigger time with it, but I must say the people over at Glock Talk seem to really like it.

Vig Creed
03-10-2004, 07:30 AM
Mountain Gunner,

If you really are in the mountains like I am, and carry for protection from both man and beast, I suggest you try the Double Tap 200gr XTP load.

It clocks right at 1200fps out of my G20 at 6000' elevation, and will penetrate far enough to do the job on big tooth & claw type critters, as well as BG's. But it will probably "over penetrate" humans.

155gr Double Tap Gold Dots (1420fps) expand instantly and fully on impact and do not penetrate very deep. Less than 10" in my water tests. And while that might be fine on the street, it is insufficient in the woods.

My "street only" load is Double Tap 165gr Gold Dots which clock 1338fps out of my G20, and penetrate a little deeper than 155's.

My feeling is that any full-power 10mm bullet under 155gr would "over expand" or disintegrate, and therefore fail to penetrate far enough.

Wulfenite
03-10-2004, 07:40 AM
I was a devoted ProLoad guy for a long time but when I tested their 180gr load a couple years ago I though it was too flashy and significantly more harsh than the 175 Silver Tip. So I went with the ST for a couple years.

Last year I shot a 4 day class that required new ammo. I bought 1200 rounds of Georgia's 180gr Gold Dot. I shot 900 or so during the class and am using the remainder for carry. Nothing like a 900 round reliability test with a single cleaning at about 700 rounds to give you confidence in your carry load. The speed on the GA is not all that it could be. But if you consider that the 40 caliber GD's are designed to work at 40 SW velocities, you're still well ahead of the game at average 10mm speeds.

When I use up this GA ammo I'll probably go to the 165gr GD load from Double Tap. The pictures on this thread were pursuasive. http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=220040&highlight=165+gold

Al Lipscomb
03-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Mr DiFabio,
I do not mean to sound sarcastic or to hijack this fellow's thread...but what is the reason for using ammo that has a lot number for defense?

Will

So that if the ammo is recalled or is shown to have a problem with a given lot you will know if your ammo has the problem. Also since bullet and other components change over time the lot numbers will tell you what you are putting into your gun.

Mountain Gunner
03-10-2004, 01:14 PM
155gr Double Tap Gold Dots (1420fps) expand instantly and fully on impact and do not penetrate very deep. Less than 10" in my water tests. And while that might be fine on the street, it is insufficient in the woods.

My "street only" load is Double Tap 165gr Gold Dots which clock 1338fps out of my G20, and penetrate a little deeper than 155's.

My feeling is that any full-power 10mm bullet under 155gr would "over expand" or disintegrate, and therefore fail to penetrate far enough.

10" sounds a bit shallow to me.

David,

Do you have any gelatin data on the 155gr load? Also, has anyone had any problems with Corbon PRB's "over expanding or "disintegrating?"

Thanks for all your help :D

Mountain Gunner
03-11-2004, 08:20 AM
I do not have the data in front of me with the lot#s but the 10mm Corbon PRB averaged 13.1" out of five rounds tested in denim and the ProLoad 155gr Gold Dot averaged 13.7" out of five rounds tested in denim. The PRB averaged a diameter of .66" VS .70 for the Gold Dot.

I was just looking at ammolab.com and it appears that the .40S&W Corbon PRB averaged deeper penitration than the 10mm?

Mountain Gunner
03-12-2004, 05:41 AM
It does and would as rapid deformation bullets penetrate to a lesser distance than controlled expansion when pushed to higher velocities.

That was my guess but I wanted to make sure. Do you have any numbers on the ProLoad 180gr GD for reference?

bradvanhorn
03-14-2004, 07:00 AM
David - based on your first reply, you said of the choices offered you'd take the CorBon 135 PRB or the DoubleTap 155 Gold Dot. Were there any choices not listed that you would recommend over those that were listed?

I'm getting back into 10mm, and have begun the search for defensive ammo. I love the Winchester Ranger line-up, but since there is no 10mm offering, I have to look elsewhere.

Thanks to any and all that reply!

Mountain Gunner
03-14-2004, 11:43 AM

How deep did the Double Tap 165gr Gold Dots penetrate in your water tests? Have you water tested the Double Tap 180gr Gold Dots?

Low Drag
03-14-2004, 07:46 PM
OK, I've seen all the ammo you guys have talked about.

How does it stack up against the Win.175 silver tip for recoil mgmt? I carry a Glock 29 with ST's and don't think they are at all bad but if another round is easier to manage and has good numbers I'll give it a try.

Low Drag
03-18-2004, 02:18 PM
The lighter bullets will have less physical recoil than the full power 175 and 180gr loadings.

David, now I've found just the opposite with recoil. I've alway thought/felt (this is very subjective) that light fast loads recoil more than heavy slow loads.
It's like the IPSC crowd with their so-called .40S&W "major" loads when the PF was 175. They loaded 200gr bullets long in a .40 case to decrease the recoil. BTW, I've always said they don't belong in "Limited", it's a wildcat round. I made lots of friends in IPSC! :D

As for Cor-bon I was hoping the 10mm load would have been a heavier bullet than the .40. I was looking at the powrball until I saw it was the same thing as the .40 but going a faster.

That being said, I may give them a try given all I've seen posted on this tread.