PDA

View Full Version : What about in the pants belt type holsters?

Passnthru
03-03-2004, 11:05 AM
What about in the pants belt type holsters (such as Defender or Thunderwear)? I never see anyone discussing these, are they that bad?

Officers ACP
03-06-2004, 10:21 PM
While I don't own any of this type of holster I have tried them on. One that was being sold at the last gun show I was at was the Pager Pal. I will say that it was more comfortable than it looked. I however do not really like them for primary carry use because they require two hands to access your gun. What if you don't have two available hands? What if you have your other hand on a light, or other object? I could see one used as a deep cover/back up gun use, but not primary weapon.

Skpotamus
03-06-2004, 10:34 PM
I have to carry concealed at my work, and I typically use IWB holsters, with an untucked shirt, or a tuckable galco holster for my Glock 30. Neither holster requires two hands to draw, however the tuckable is substantially faster if you use two hands.

With practice, you can get your draw times under 2 seconds with an untucked holster. I've can get regular sub 3 second draws with my galco tuckable, but prefer the untucked Uncle Mikes Open Style.

dogjaw
03-07-2004, 07:40 AM
What about in the pants belt type holsters (such as Defender or Thunderwear)? I never see anyone discussing these, are they that bad?
Before spending $45 - $55, try this. I put on a leather belt over my shirt, and put a cheap Uncle Mikes nylon IWB holster on it. I then put on my pants, just like the instructions for thunderwear. It works great, for $10. It's not my prefered carry, but I use this mode once in a great while when needed.

Officers ACP
03-07-2004, 06:39 PM
To respond to Skpotamus, I wasn't talking about the usual IWB holsters, that is my preferred method of carry too. I was talking about the holsters that ride the entire gun below your waistband in your pants. (PagerPal and Thunderwear) These type of holsters do indeed require two hands. To draw a gun from a pager pal you must either put your hand in your pocket and fish around till you find the muzzle and push up on it or grab the pager clip and removet the entire holster.

dogjaw
03-08-2004, 02:54 AM
To respond to Skpotamus, I wasn't talking about the usual IWB holsters, that is my preferred method of carry too. I was talking about the holsters that ride the entire gun below your waistband in your pants. (PagerPal and Thunderwear) These type of holsters do indeed require two hands. To draw a gun from a pager pal you must either put your hand in your pocket and fish around till you find the muzzle and push up on it or grab the pager clip and removet the entire holster.
I tried the IWB and leather for curiousity, to see if I wanted to by Thunderwear or similar holster as a secondary option. Because of MY build, I am able to withdraw my SA-XD9 subcompact with one hand. I adjusted the leather belt & holster so the pistol grip was nearly at the top of the waistband. I got hold of the pistol with thumb and 2 fingers the easiest. It depends on idividual situations. I totally agree with ACP, strong hand draw is the best. A bad guy can cover 20 ft in a blink of an eye, and you may have to hold him off with the weak hand. There are several places I have to go during work that I will not use the Pager Pal / Thunderwear style option for just that reason. At other times, I would.

Passnthru
03-11-2004, 09:27 AM
The instructions say to adjust the position of the holster so that the top of the grip is about even with the top of your pants/belt. I'm going to play with it this weekend to see of it's worth keeping. Thanks for all the input.

Avery Goodschott
03-14-2004, 07:32 PM
You might look into the FIST "Deep Cover" leather holster.

I sometimes carry my MK9 in one. The gun rides below the waistband and is covered by shirt fabric as well when my shirt is not tucked in tight.Only the J-clip shows.

It works at the 4 o'clock as well as appendix and even crossdraw.

Passnthru
03-15-2004, 08:41 AM
Never mind, I'm sending it back. First of all it was uncomfortable standing and forget about bending, sitting or squating if you have anything down there you care about.

Thanks for the input.

Skpotamus
03-15-2004, 12:13 PM
Never mind, I'm sending it back. First of all it was uncomfortable standing and forget about bending, sitting or squating if you have anything down there you care about.

Thanks for the input.

What type of holster did you have? I use a Galco USA holster for my Glock 30 on occasion. If you try appendix carry, it's uncomfortable as hell, but carry at about 4:30-5 o'clock is comfortable and concealable.

You might try there with your holster before you send it back