PDA

View Full Version : Remington 1100 20 Gauge

quixalogical
07-01-2006, 09:14 AM
Good day,

I have a gift from my father a Remington 1100 Skeet B in 20 gauge he has had since I was born. My thought was to put a magazine extension on it and call it even. However I noticed that accessories for anything other than a 12 gauge seem to be in short supply. My question is should I just leave well enough alone and use the 1100 as a house gun or should I look to anther shotgun for that purpose. Right now it has 26 in barrel I was hoping to find a shorter one for it. However by the time I pay for a barrel I am 2/3 of the way to an 870. I do not want to fall into the trap of searching for a solution to a non-existent problem. Thanks again.

James

michael
07-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Hi James, and welcome to WT.

If you like the .20, then keep it. A .20 will do most things a .12 will, and you will shoot a .20 quicker than you can a .12, which is great if you have multiple attackers. A BG will not know the difference if hit with a .20 or a .12. Both will do the trick if you do your part.

The biggest hindrance to a .20 is the lack of accessories and ammo choices vs. a .12. The 1100 is a fine gun and, if you like, it, spend the extra $$ and get the shorter barrel and train with it a lot. It is more of a software issue than a hardware one, so my thoughts are it is better to spend extra funds on ammo and training. You will need the shorter barrel if you are going to use it as a home defense gun, but I wouldn't do much else to it.

steve b
07-02-2006, 01:30 PM
What the 12 ga buys you is mostly range. The heavier payload keeps the pattern full enough as range extends. You do get more at all ranges with slugs from the 12ga.. But at in the home ranges, the 20ga is fine. Winchester makes a load using #3 buck in a non-magnum load, using unplated, softer lead. Its easier on barrels, ok for short range. Its what many birdhunters carry for bear/wolf/coyote protection because its gentler on double barrels/older fine firearms, or tighter chokes. I keep two, Barney Fife style, while grouse hunting. But think they'd be a good comprimise between slugs or heavier buck, and birdshot. steve

trackwolf
07-02-2006, 01:57 PM
I've always thought it was a shame that more 20 gauge accessories and mods are not available. I've never found an 18" cylinder bore 20 gauge Remington barrel (either 870, 1100, or 11-87) without a rib. I'd much rather take Gabe's shotgun course with a 20 gauge than a 12. The 20 gauge is lighter, handier, and fits my envelope for home defense better than a 12. If Scattergun or Vang Comp would step up to the plate with a 20 gauge 870 or 1100, I'd buy two.

John W in SC
07-02-2006, 02:15 PM
<snip> If Scattergun or Vang Comp would step up to the plate with a 20 gauge 870 or 1100, I'd buy two.

Wilson shows a 20 gauge 870 on their website in the "Border Patarol" version under stock number SBP-AS20. If that isn't to your liking, I'm sure Wilson (and I suspect Vang) will make whatever you can aford to pay for on special order.

John W in SC

DEAN HICKS
07-03-2006, 09:18 PM
You might want to keep an eye on Ebay for a replacement barrel and other accessories. Even if you don't find exactly what you want (choke wise), you might find one cheap enough to cut down for cylinder bore, or have a 'smith thread it for screw-in chokes. I've found some pretty good deals on Ebay on this type of thing, and that will allow you to keep your original barrel intact.

goodwin521
07-04-2006, 06:41 AM
James/Quix,

I brainfarted at a gunshow last year and bought a 20 ga. rifle sighted barrel for a Remington 1100 LT 20 (wanted one for a 870 20 ga., but my youngest was bugging me about blowguns...didn't pay attention).

I have been kinda sorta looking for a LT20 to make into a housegun for wife and daughter but it hasn't popped up.

If that barrel will fit your gun, send me a PM.

Ragsbo
07-04-2006, 07:26 AM
Don't let anyone say that a 20 guage won't get the job done. My kids use them for deer hunting and they will put them down easily. I know of one deputy that uses a 20 pump too and he dosen't feel under gunned. You are right about not having all the whisles and such for them. If you want a shorter stock, try a Remington 870 Youth model. That is what we have. The stock is a little short for me, but I am on the large size.

badLT
07-04-2006, 02:28 PM
Semi-auto 20 gauge shotguns are wonderfull weapons for smaller statured individuals who cannot handle allot of recoil. Light weight gun, impulse spread over a longer time than a pump, and puts allot of lead onto target.

Given the low availability of buckshot, I would recomend slugs of some form.

steve b
07-04-2006, 03:16 PM
The Winchester loads I mentioned are available at Gander Mtns.. Another non-slug option are Turkey loadings of 4 shot. These also should be easy to find. Waterfowl loads are also easy to find and larger shot sizes, but are steel, matrix, tungsten etc., which are expensive. steve

trackwolf
07-05-2006, 04:25 AM
Has anyone ever seen a 20 gauge barrel for a Remington 870 or 1100 that is cylinder bore without a vent rib? I don't care whether the barrel is Remington-brand or aftermarket. I don't believe such a creature exists.

kyle reese
08-22-2006, 02:40 PM
I have an 870 Youth magnum 20ga. Love it for all the reasons people like the combat 20. All I added was: 8 rd. Choate mag extension, 4 rd "hunter" side saddle (so it will work with the sporting forend), a Scorpion light under the mag tube, and.....

a 20" improved cylinder Remington rifled sight barrel.

Barrel is a WINGMASTER barrel, I had my dealer order it. It is not parkerized, it is blue. It is smoothbore, fixed choke. I am sure you could get it from Rem. cust. service/parts.

Most of the youth 20ga pumps and autos come with 21" VR Remchoke barrels, or fully rifled rifle sighted barrels.

If you don't mind the blue not matching the rest of your parkerized gun, this is the way to go. I only wish it was 18"!!!!

Of course, you could always finish the barrel in matte yourself say with some of Brownell's products.

Hope this helps.

Michael Biggs
08-22-2006, 06:01 PM
If you do your part, a 20 gauge will work out just fine.

Fluffy the Attack Kitty
08-23-2006, 02:19 AM
Has anyone ever seen a 20 gauge barrel for a Remington 870 or 1100 that is cylinder bore without a vent rib? I don't care whether the barrel is Remington-brand or aftermarket. I don't believe such a creature exists.
If you want one that badly maybe it's time to introduce Mr. Barrel to Mr. Hacksaw... or not, just saying...

Steve Holden
08-23-2006, 08:42 AM
Hi,

I was in a similar situation. I recommend that you keep the gun as is and just shop around for a while until you find a barrel going cheap. I found one for $19 from CDNN in Texas. I cut it at a little over 18" so that the vent rib came out right and then put on a tritium bead from Brownells. You don't really need an extended mag tube. They make the gun front heavy anyway. Just buy a butt cuff for some extra shells.

The gun is too nice to mess up. You can still bird hunt too.

Steve