PDA

View Full Version : Advanced fighting with firearms (VHS)

Seppo Vesala
02-26-2004, 04:28 AM
Producer: Paladin press, 1999

Instructor: Andy Stanford

Run time: 1:16

This film is an intermediate level training film by Andy Stanford. In the film, Stanford presents techniques for handguns and longarms. There are also some transition techniques, some integrated force techniques, and tactics.

The film starts with Stanford reviewing the basic safety rules (it seems that you have to do this, even in an advanced level book or tape; for liability reasons, perhaps?) and hierarchy of survival principles, discussed in his Fighting with firearms tape. I like that Stanford does not say something like ”see my earlier tape for reference”, as seen in some other training films. Rather, he discusses the issues he feels is necessary to go through.

The handgun issues handled in the tape are the dynamic isosceles stance and combat drawstroke (from strong side hip holster, shoulder holster and fannypack holster). Then there are transition techniques from longarm to handgun (there are different techniques presented, for different longarm slings, and one technique for weapon with no sling at all). After that, there are some techniques on firearms as combat weapons (handguns, shotguns/rifles, and submachine guns).

The longarm issues in the tape are shoulder weapon retention, shotgun as an urban rifle, and shoulder weapon kata (essentially dry firing from different firing positions, and transitions from one firing position to another).

There are some tactics also: Shooting on the move (this includes also the technique for shooting on the move. Interestingly, although this section is only some 5 minutes long, Stanford is able to instruct the technique better than Lenny Magill in his entire Move! Shoot! Live! Film). Then there is some instructuion about team tactics, and vehicle tactics (using vehicle as a weapon, and shooting from inside a vehicle, as well as over/around/under vehicle). There is also some discussion about low light tactics. This chapter is somewhat disappointing, as there is only some basic discussion about the requirements of a tactical light, and some very basic stuff. I just hope that I can find one decent film that is devoted to low light tactics and that would cover something beyond the basic stuff!

At the end, Stanford gives instruction on how to construct very affordable erraticly moving target system, and there is also some general discussion about realistic targets. The last chapter handles the aftermath of a shooting. There is some very general legal advise given, but not much else. Stanford makes a very good point about the bad guys: ”No matter how bad a person is, and what he has done, he still has mom”.

Overall, this film is of standard Paladin press quality, which is quite good (good post production, shot with two cameras, sound and picture quality are generally good and so on). There are two chapters where lighting is not very good (granted, they are low-light sequences, but it would still be nice to see the face of the instructor, as he is talking to camera), and in one chapter there is some echo in the sound. I especially like Stanfords´ attitude that he does not force his other films or books to you, as some other instructors seem to do. Also, Stanford gives credit to where it is due, as he has a habit of telling to whom he learned any particular technique or trick he teaches in the film.