PDA

View Full Version : First time with 870

sween1911
02-25-2004, 06:10 AM
Finally got to try out my Remington 870 Police last night.

I called the range ahead of time and they said I could fire it, but it would have to be slugs. I found a good deal on Winchester slugs at Walmart. 6 bucks or so for a pack of 15. They were 3" Magnum 1oz at about 1750fps.

I got walloped big time. Hold it in tight, thumb on the right side of the stock, lean into it, and I still got whacked. And the fireball that came out of the muzzle. YIPES. Oh hell it was FUN yes, but my right shoulder is sore. :)

I should've brought my Federal Tactical slugs for comparison, but left them at home. I'm going to guess that they won't be as bad.

The Searcher
02-25-2004, 11:16 AM
Few things hit as bad as 3" magnum slug loads. You will find the Federal Tacticals to be pussycats by comparision.

Vig Creed
02-25-2004, 01:31 PM
I don't see much need for reduced recoil buckshot since full-power 2 3/4" buck doesn't kick all that much, and I want as much penetration as possible.

But with slugs I always opt for reduced recoil loads. Full-power slugs kick too much for me, especially 3" slugs!

georgel
02-25-2004, 05:26 PM
Vig, don't discount reduced recoil buck, specifically rounds like the Federal Tactical. They're more than just lower recoil. These rounds use hardened shot and I believe the Federal uses a buffer as well. Results, better patterning and a little better penetration.
Ironically enough, I prefer full power (but not 3") slugs.

DaveJames
02-25-2004, 08:14 PM
Well at lest you know what the worst feels like :D

Vig Creed
02-26-2004, 02:54 AM
Vig, don't discount reduced recoil buck, specifically rounds like the Federal Tactical.

Federal Tactical has a lot of advocates, but it just doesn't pattern well in my 18 3/4" full-choke 870.

The one reduced recoil load I do like is the Remington Law Enforcement Reduced Recoil OO Buck with 8 pellets (not 9). This load shoots an exceptionally tight pattern in my gun.

Living way out in the mountains where 50 yard shots could be needed, I like longer range, deeper penetrating buckshot. My usual load is 2 3/4" Winchester Super-X OOO Buck which will reliably place six to eight .36 caliber OOO Buck on an IPSC target at 50y (out of my full-choke gun).

sween1911
02-26-2004, 05:59 AM
Well at lest you know what the worst feels like :D

That's comforting. :) I knew I was in for a whuppin' with 3" Magnum slugs, but I wasn't sure how much. I'm still amazed at the fireball that came out of the business end when that sucker went off *laugh*.

michael
02-26-2004, 08:32 AM
Vig,
I just bought a 25 rd box of the Remington 00 Reduced Recoil for my 870. I'll let you know how it works when I test it.

MrMurphy
02-28-2004, 08:47 AM
Remington Reduced Recoil slugs are nice. I can shoot 20-30 of them without a bruise, where normal 1oz Sluggers I call it off after 4 or 5. And at 100 yards, they're still accurate with my ghost ring sights.

Ragsbo
02-28-2004, 04:11 PM
Do these reduced recoil slugs come in 20 gauge? They might be just the thing for the kids deer hunting. Are they regular or sabots?