PDA

View Full Version : Civilian Gunfights and Reloading

Natch
10-04-2003, 11:57 AM
Greetings,

Does anyone know of a case where a civilian or off duty leo had to reload their pistol and it made a difference in the winning the gunfight?

Or any cases of a civilian shooting a back-up gun to win the gunfight?

Thank you in advance.

dgg9
10-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Does anyone know of a case where a civilian or off duty leo had to reload their pistol and it made a difference in the winning the gunfight?

I haven't, but we should be careful what conclusions we draw from this kind of question. If using, say, a BUG is never recorded as a fight winner, it could be because a) it's never needed or b) almost no CCW holder ever carries a BUG, and it would have been a fight winner if it were available.

Tom Givens
10-04-2003, 12:09 PM
One of my students was involved in a gunfight with 2 armed robbers a couple of months ago. He had 8 rounds in his pistol. He hit BG#1 5 times, and that one went DRT. He missed 1 shot. He then put 2 rds in BG#2, who ran away and collapsed 5 houses down the street. At that point my guy's gun was empty.
Since #2 ran 100 yards before collapsing, he could have just as easily stood his ground and fought. Bad time for the Good Guy to be empty.

John Silver
10-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Lance Thomas, the LA jewelery store owner and victim/survivor of three armed robberies, used multiple handguns in his fights. I believe he kept different ones stashed around his store rather than on his person. Multiple guns were a definate factor in his survival.

Natch
10-04-2003, 12:52 PM
Thank you for the replies.

The topic came up in a conversation between a friend and I. Both of us are familiar with most of the well known published gunfights. Neither of us could recall a drawn back up gun or reloaded pistol being fired and deciding the outcome of a civilian gun fight.

Both us are believers in spare ammo and back-ups. I'm not looking for an excuse to dump any gear. Although, my back would appreciate it. :)

I read the Lance Thompson story again. He did indeed use back up pistols several times to decide the outcome of his fights. He is an extraordinary individual. I wasn't sure if the back up guns were fired in his shootings; they were.

Any other cases out there?

Vig Creed
10-05-2003, 11:01 PM
WAR STORY!

Deleated

:D creed :D

Anthony
10-06-2003, 10:26 AM
Greetings,

Thank you in advance.

There was a case here in Rio last year where an off-duty LEO shot it out with a group of armed robbers at a gas station. He suceeded in dropping one ( dead ) at the expense of emptying his pistol. Faced with a reload situation he instead opted to grab the AR15 at his feet from the downed BG. He used it to effect and the others fleed.
Using "enemy" firearms it a tight spot is nothing new in warfare, but what about there in the USA in police actions ?
Whilst I favor carrying one type of firearm to not have a problem when it's needed, I try to keep as updated as possible on other types to be able - if necessary - to use a superior firearm from a "downed" adversary.
I have only read of this option - once - in your firearms jornals. If I'm not mistaken by - grande ol' Mas Ayoob.
Regards.