PDA

View Full Version : What contributes to "smooth shooting?"

Buck1
02-23-2004, 04:02 PM
What I am wondering is, people talk about smooth triggers, reach, etc. when talking about how smooth a gun is to shoot. But after owning and shooting several firearms, I was wondering if the actual hammer mechanism going down and the striker (et. al.) may contribute as much or more to the perceived smoothness of a particular gun.

The reason I ask is that dry firing different guns while in a gun store produces some wide variations here, and maybe you can spot a potential smooth shooter in the store.

Thanks,

Pat

Yamdog
02-23-2004, 08:40 PM
When I think of a smooth shooting weapon I think of a good trigger and a smoothly operating slide action. I mean a slide that operates without feeling the extraction, ejection, feeding, etc. that the slide must do. You can't feel that with dry fire.

DaveJames
02-23-2004, 08:56 PM
Buck, your not far off the mark, you will find in revolvers, that the more they have been shot with NORMAL loads, the action wears in and creats the smooth feel, the same can be said of the autos, but I find in autos a good action job seems to help more,,you will hear some old timers talk about the action breaking or moveing smooth as glass, I have a Colt model 357 that was done by Jungkrin{SP} and it is truly smooth, my S&W's are all the same way.

Any new gun is going to be ruff, and will be noticed more then a good used one,