PDA

View Full Version : .22lr AR conversions

ShopMonkey
09-22-2021, 10:02 AM
reaching out on this one to hopefully get some feedback on a product. does anyone here have any experience with the CMMG .22 conversion kits for ARs, specifically the Bravo and Evo Kits? if so, what is your opinion of it? is it something worth offering since, as we well know, ammo availability and prices are still unfavorable?
https://img.rsrgroup.com/highres-pimages/CMMG22BA651_1_HR.jpg

Jon Payne
09-22-2021, 11:00 AM
reaching out on this one to hopefully get some feedback on a product. does anyone here have any experience with the CMMG .22 conversion kits for ARs, specifically the Bravo and Evo Kits? if so, what is your opinion of it? is it something worth offering since, as we well know, ammo availability and prices are still unfavorable?
https://img.rsrgroup.com/highres-pimages/CMMG22BA651_1_HR.jpg

Iíve used the shit out of the Bravo and their dedicated 22lr upper as well. Both are great kit. Hell, Iíve hunted with the Bravo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barnetmill
09-22-2021, 11:06 AM
Cannot help with knowledge but at a workable price I want one and would like to buy one here. I am interested in a dedicated upper. I just do not like shooting a lot of .22 LR through a gas gun so I want a dedicated upper and yes I know it is supposed to be self cleaning.
I have a lot of 22 HV ammo on hand.

ShopMonkey
09-22-2021, 01:31 PM
Cannot help with knowledge but at a workable price I want one and would like to buy one here. I am interested in a dedicated upper. I just do not like shooting a lot of .22 LR through a gas gun so I want a dedicated upper and yes I know it is supposed to be self cleaning.
I have a lot of 22 HV ammo on hand.

COMPLETELY UNDERSTANDABLE, HOWEVER, THE DEDICATED UPPERS ARE OUT OF STOCK UNLESS YOU WANNA ROLL THE DICE ON A CHIAPPA UPPER. IF/WHEN THEY START GETTING A SERIOUS STOCK, I WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO MAKE THEM AVAILABLE, UNTIL THEN THE BRAVOS CAN BE FOUND HERE: https://suarezinternational.com/22lr-conversions/
AND IN THE CUT THROAT SALES

barnetmill
09-22-2021, 03:58 PM
I took the plunge and got an order in. i did not even price comparison shop and the price with 3 mags seemed quite fair.
Standard practice is fire a 5.56 though the gun after a session to clear the leade, bore, and gasport & gas tube.

On a .22 if high volume of fire is to be done, often a lot oil helps things, especially in blow back actions when the action gets dirty from cheap dirty ammo. Years ago when I was shooting a lot of .22, my speed between separate targets really got faster at least for someone with my limited skill set getting several hits a second on separate steel targets as I went down the rack and it transferred well for full power pistol loads. Anyway it worked for me then and I hope to get that edge back.

LawDog
09-22-2021, 07:01 PM
I’ve built two dedicated CMMG uppers, using their bolt-and-barrel kits and installing them in Aero uppers. They rock. I don’t have much experience with other kits. I listened to other people’s complaints about other products and heard good things about the CMMG kits, so I went that direction. They aren’t the cheapest option, but I’ve been very happy with them both.

BigEd63
09-22-2021, 11:42 PM
I’ve built two dedicated CMMG uppers, using their bolt-and-barrel kits and installing them in Aero uppers. They rock. I don’t have much experience with other kits. I listened to other people’s complaints about other products and heard good things about the CMMG kits, so I went that direction. They aren’t the cheapest option, but I’ve been very happy with them both.
I did something similar. I bought the standard kit. But the chamber insert cracked at the neck area. I decided to order a Lothar Walther barrel and build
a dedicated upper. Been pleased with it. Oh and the cracked insert was milled and cut into a adapter for the .22lr barrel.

coastalcop
09-23-2021, 05:11 AM
They get dirty as fuck, so accept that you will have to clean them regularly AND de-lead the hell out of your barrel (or drop it into a dedicated upper you use for the kit) . I ultimately went to a dedicated .22 upper. I split the head of a couple of the drop ins with heavy use (when .22 was plentiful) .

We still run a full .22 upper with a suppressor on an autosear registered lower for the kids that come in with their folks to my buddies shop/range. Ok who am I kidding, we adults love it too, kinda like the carnival guns you used to shoot the red star out with ;)

As a fun training tool, or as a drop in if you are out in the boonies its not a bad piece of kit. Drop in kits arent as accurate in my experience as a 10/22 , but they arent bad inside of 50 yards.

barnetmill
09-23-2021, 06:21 AM
They get dirty as fuck, so accept that you will have to clean them regularly AND de-lead the hell out of your barrel (or drop it into a dedicated upper you use for the kit) . I ultimately went to a dedicated .22 upper. I split the head of a couple of the drop ins with heavy use (when .22 was plentiful) .

We still run a full .22 upper with a suppressor on an autosear registered lower for the kids that come in with their folks to my buddies shop/range. Ok who am I kidding, we adults love it too, kinda like the carnival guns you used to shoot the red star out with ;)

As a fun training tool, or as a drop in if you are out in the boonies its not a bad piece of kit. Drop in kits arent as accurate in my experience as a 10/22 , but they arent bad inside of 50 yards.
Thanks for the heads up. I can see these kits as fragile considering the high round counts that they will be subjected to. My experience with the ceiner kit in a 1911 was a need for new buffer washers (Facet washers worked) and broke the firing pin. Made a new temporary firing pin from a fluted 3 inch concrete spike using part of the broken top of the old firing pin until I got a new part. Turned the concrete spike down using drill.
Uses:
You can shoot on ranges that can not take full 5.56 loads.

i would use it for drills. Right to left shoulder transitions. Practice for around structures and getting off the X. At about 100 ft to maybe 50 yard max.

Dedicated upper would seem the way to go.

Eventually it sounds like I should get a stripped cheapo .22 upper without the BCG and those used to be about $180 and hopefully that will be available again in the future. But it does mean a duplicate set of optics.

Redbug
09-24-2021, 03:26 PM
I have a CMMG .22 conversion kit. The POI is different than what your sights/red dot is set up for when shooting 556. My opinion...I would rather have a dedicated 22LR upper with dialed in sights for just that round. Or for that matter a complete AR in 22LR.

But if you want to buy the conversion kit...looks like they are here.

SqueeDAB
09-24-2021, 11:37 PM
as a drop in if you are out in the boonies its not a bad piece of kit.

I like the sound of that

barnetmill
10-02-2021, 03:17 PM
I just got mine today. 20 minutes ago I removed the BCG out of an AR rifle and inserted the CMMG BCG with original bolt handle. Put a cleaning rod down to make sure the barrel was clear. Took one magazine and loaded 5 HV Browning brand of 36 grain hollow points. stepped out on the porch and point at the ground, all five as fast as I could put the trigger. It locks upon on the extending red plastic follower of the mag. Later on I will really wring it out.
I need to check the firing pin see if it protrudes enough enough to ding the chamber and check other little things about it. Looks like the chamber insert is the most fragile part of the unit.
Too bad it is not offered in 300 black out. Just need to make a longer chamber insert that is rifled for a few inches.

Excellent beginning

barnetmill
10-08-2021, 07:47 AM
I did a brief range test yesterday and unit worked 100%
One can easily load by hand the first 10 rounds into the magazine for any type of .22 lr
To get more in seems to be more difficult with some bullet profiles. I need to do more shooting to be sure

A magazine loader seems to be generally recommended. CMMG sells the unit from McFadden Machine (https://www.mcfaden.com/default.asp) and it was out of stock so I ordered directly from that company. I did first ck with SI to see it was listed and then went to McFadden
must order: Lightnin' Grip Loader (Adapters sold Separately) LOADER DOES NOT WORK WITHOUT AN ADAPTER! I also ordered the

AR15-22AdapterOnly
(#2) AR 15/22 Conv. / CMMG /

. With shipping was $40.

barnetmill
10-15-2021, 11:43 AM
I just found out that Remington golden 36 grain HV HP is too fragile to feed through my kit. Feeding from the magazine up the feed ramp distorts the overall profile and it will not chamber. Shame since I have several 1,000 rounds of it purchased a few years ago. Well I have other ammo bands and will see how it does. Older federal automatch seems to function very well. With every oiling maybe the rem golden bullets would work.
Now that prices are coming down is the time buy spare uppers and BCGs because these may require serial numbers and have to go through an FFL if the proposed rule changes come to be. Might be a good idea for me to follow my own advice here.