PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Ground Fighting, Lenexa Kansas - Feb 2020

Brent Yamamoto
10-01-2019, 03:58 PM
Pistol Ground Fighting coming to the midwest!

Lenexa, Kansas
February 29 - March 1, 2020

Sign up here... (https://suarezinternational.com/pistol-ground-fighting-february-29-march-1-2020-lenexa-ks/)

Brent Yamamoto
10-01-2019, 04:16 PM
We will also do a Friday night clinic like I normally do.

More details soon...but in a nutshell it's about generating striking power.

Brent Yamamoto
10-05-2019, 11:18 AM
Over time I've gotten several equipment questions for what to bring to a Pistol Ground Fighting course.

Training guns - the majority of work we will do will be with training guns. Blue Guns are the best, they are made in lots of models that closely replicate your every day pistol and will work with your holster. And unlike some of the cheaper rubber guns, they aren't "grabby" on clothing or skin when you try to draw them. The single most important thing you can bring to class, besides your brain, is a good blue gun.

SIRT guns are also EXCELLENT for this training, if you have one bring it. While I like the metal slides for the weight and durability, the plastic slides are a bit cheaper and work very well for this training. They also have a dummy red dot that you can install if you're so inclined.

The rubber guns are nice for some hand-to-hand exercises when the gun is already out (they are just a bit softer and thus gentler for some training drills), but they are very poor for practicing the draw under pressure. They also tend to be "generic pistol shape" and thus don't fit any holsters. If you have one, go ahead and bring it but don't go out and buy one just for class.

The class requirements also include a "training barrel insert". What is that?

Bladetech makes some yellow plastic training barrels for a few different models (Glocks, Sigs, M&Ps, etc.). These are sometimes hard to find but they work very well for this training. I recommend taking a dremel or sandpaper to the muzzle end to round the edges off.

Of course Bladetech doesn't make training barrels for everything, so your best bet is a barrel blocker. I have several makes but the one I like best is below. These are made by caliber and are thus more or less universal. If you bring a couple guns I recommend buying one for each gun and trimming the blocker so it extends just past your muzzle (and again, round the edges for your partner's sake). We want everyone to be able to see that the barrel is blocked with a quick glance. These are very reasonable, don't cheap out and buy one of the lesser brands which are made with a more brittle material that can peen and then get stuck in your barrel (ask me how I know).

Another extremely useful product for this class is the "TRT Tap Rack Dry Fire Safety Training Aid". That's a mouthful for this tiny little product, but they are excellent for dry practice, for pistol kata practice, and of course the PGF class. While you can simply remove the follower from an old mag (some mags are more expensive than others), if you don't have a magazine that you want to sacrifice for training you can use one of these inserts. These are universal and allow you to rack the slide without locking it on an empty chamber. And though we use barrel blockers in class to ensure no live round can be chambered, this is an extra level of security knowing that your magazine is also free of anything that goes bang.

Brent Yamamoto
01-10-2020, 10:19 AM
Just over a month out for this one. Need to get the word out and get some more participation.

Bob Mayne and I will be discussing PGF on his Handgun World podcast. Those of you who have taken the course, it's been some time since we last did it. I'd be curious what sticks out in your mind after more time has passed. What were your biggest take aways, what helped you the most, what was most important, whatever.

Share the sign up URL here... (https://suarezinternational.com/pistol-ground-fighting-february-29-march-1-2020-lenexa-ks/)

Dorkface
01-10-2020, 12:18 PM
I was going to come out to this one but i need to be home for some family stuff that just happened last week.

One thing that really stands out to me from PGF was how far behind the curve I felt on day one; Especially since we had a bunch of bjj guys in class. It was my first real experience with that sort of material and it showed as we went over the different things. Day one didn't involve any gun work at all. By the end of the day things felt a little more familiar. Day two would have its own set of results.

When we started day two we did a quick review and then started busting out the guns. There were a few of use that were very experienced with guns and the second day was when we started to dominate things. Unsurprisingly the bjj guys had the advantage when the context of the fight only involved hand to hand stuff. Change the context to include accessing, manipulating, retaining and shooting people in the taint combined with the newly learned skills and the difference was stark. Brent showed us how to create the window we needed.

With even the smallest oppertunity created the countless hours of practice in gun skills leaped out and allowed some awesome stuff to happen. Drawing a gun with one hand while you are on the ground with two guys on top of you isn't really that different than if you are doing it standing up. Provided you put the work in before hand and use a few new things learned from Brent.

Brent Yamamoto
02-19-2020, 10:22 AM
Bumping this thread, less than two weeks out!

We have a good number for the class, enough for critical mass and to allow for a good mix of training partners. But we can fit a few more in.

We also have a Friday night clinic on striking - how to hit harder with less. 7-9pm at the same location, and free for anyone signed up for the PGF weekend.