PDA

View Full Version : AAR for trauma medicine

DavySprocket
08-05-2019, 05:43 PM
First off, I'd like to thank Greg and Sua for getting talked into doing this class. Also thanks to our hosts for the accommodations. Prior to this class I've had about 15 minutes or so of training on hemorrhage control. There's an old saying used a lot that goes like this: when seconds count, police are minutes away. The same thing can be said about paramedics. So you've won the gunfight, now you may very well need patches up. Do you have the tools/training in your toolbox? I know I feel a lot more confident after this weekend.

Ok, on to the actual class. Day 1 was just going through the acronym m.a.r.c.h. Each part represents a different traumatic injury that needs fixed. We got to practice with some of the tools. Greg was an entertaining model for many of the tools. A big part of this class was on being out in the back country where help could be a day or more away. Along with that, we learned how to improvise and make tools such as splints, slings, and litters.

Day 2 consisted of Sua explaining how he has his various med bags set up. He also talked about how he has been able to test many products out in the field. That was very helpful so we could get a little insight on what works and what doesn't.
Then Greg took us through some off handed pistol drawing and one handed malfunction manipulations from various positions.

All in all, it was a great class. I can't think of any criticisms. All of us students came out now being a lot harder to kill.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

spwz99
08-06-2019, 04:43 AM
I'll second that!

Anyone who was thinking about attending and decided not to really missed out.

Brent Yamamoto
08-06-2019, 09:22 AM
Awesome, wish I could have come.

Badger
08-06-2019, 05:43 PM
I hosted this course and have now done three with Greg and two with Sua. This was a very special class with very useful and practical information that replaces old dogma with real world applications. I’ve got a strong background in tactical medicine and was completely blown away by the level of skill Sua possesses.

I always look for the “little things” when I’m judging training. An example of those little things was how Sua’s hands would fly through a demonstration with the skill of a surgeon. If something didn’t work, he instantly moved onto a new plan or method without hesitation. I’m sure a shop floor in rural Missouri was like a surgical suite compared to the places he’s worked such as the back of a helicopter at night or the hills of Afghanistan while taking incoming rounds. I’ve worked with the best all over the world and he’s among the top.

After over 15 years of experience with teaching firearms, I’m a pretty good judge of that as well. Greg definitely rates at the top of that game. He’s got a smooth presentation style that is clear and concise. He doesn’t mince words and presents concepts in a logical manner. He allows for a reasonable amount of time to work a skill without allowing it to become monotonous. He recognizes weaknesses in shooters and gives them the individual attention they need.

If you all will allow me to get on my soapbox for a minute, I don’t understand why these guys aren’t turning down courses. These classes should also be packed to capacity at a minimum. Sell one of those five glocks or seven AR’s you don’t actually use and get your damn hands dirty!!! Maybe some of you don’t actually want to train and want to think reading threads is enough. I’ll go out on a limb and say every person on this forum has enough disposable income and time to attend one training session of some type a year. If you aren’t doing that, ask yourself why. Be honest with yourself and many of you won’t like the answer you get. It’s 2019 and we have psychos shooting up fucking Wal-Marts. Get in the game. Get better. People are counting on you.

Papa
08-07-2019, 09:38 AM
For some, our time is not our own. Yet.

"Maybe some of you don’t actually want to train and want to think reading threads is enough."

For those who think reading is enough--it's not. Right now, grab your TQ, take it out of its wrapper (where it should not be), apply it as high under your dominant armpit as you can, and tighten it down to where you can no longer feel a pulse. How long did that take?

Oh, you don't have a TQ?

Greg Nichols
08-07-2019, 09:45 AM

"Maybe some of you don’t actually want to train and want to think reading threads is enough."

For those who think reading is enough--it's not. Right now, grab your TQ, take it out of its wrapper (where it should not be), apply it as high under your dominant armpit as you can, and tighten it down to where you can no longer feel a pulse. How long did that take?

Oh, you don't have a TQ?

This class was a little more advanced than that. If you didn't show up you didn't learn how to do a nasal airway, cricothyrotomy, or needle decompressions among dozens of other things.

Papa
08-07-2019, 09:52 AM
This class was a little more advanced than that. If you didn't show up you didn't learn how to do a nasal airway, cricothyrotomy, or needle decompressions among dozens of other things.

Precisely the kind of stuff that was deemed unsuitable for LEO knuckledraggers at my last training, where we were taken to another training area and fed pablum instead of red meat.

Greg Nichols
08-07-2019, 09:54 AM
Precisely the kind of stuff that was deemed unsuitable for LEO knuckledraggers at my last training, where we were taken to another training area and fed pablum instead of red meat.

T and I don't roll that way.

Dorkface
08-07-2019, 09:56 AM
I would have liked to make this one but a family road trip took its place. Not too sad I missed the "oppertunity" to volunteer for an NPA though. Rofl.

Greg Nichols
08-07-2019, 10:17 AM
I would have liked to make this one but a family road trip took its place. Not too sad I missed the "oppertunity" to volunteer for an NPA though. Rofl.

They're no big deal, T put one in me as the demo, it wasn't my first time, likely won't be my last.

Papa
08-07-2019, 10:18 AM
Not too sad I missed the "oppertunity" to volunteer for an NPA though. Rofl.

Or a cric.

Dorkface
08-07-2019, 10:58 AM
They're no big deal, T put one in me as the demo, it wasn't my first time, likely won't be my last.

I just think they feel super weird lol. I was the demo person when TMCO was out here. Breathing was amazing easy lol.

Badger
08-07-2019, 02:17 PM

I might be misunderstanding this statement so excuse me if I am incorrect.

I took Annual Leave to host this and worked around my duty schedule. I spent several other hours after work and on breaks doing coordination so this training would go off without a hitch. There’s not a person here (unless deployed) that can’t find two days a year to train at something that will make them better, smarter, more capable, etc. Id love for Sua to chime in and comment on what he’s done this year. He sacrificed plenty to come and share knowledge with people who wanted it.

Papa
08-07-2019, 02:31 PM
I might be misunderstanding this statement so excuse me if I am incorrect.

I took Annual Leave to host this and worked around my duty schedule. I spent several other hours after work and on breaks doing coordination so this training would go off without a hitch. There’s not a person here (unless deployed) that can’t find two days a year to train at something that will make them better, smarter, more capable, etc. Id love for Sua to chime in and comment on what he’s done this year. He sacrificed plenty to come and share knowledge with people who wanted it.

Not unappreciative of your sacrifice and efforts.

Leave is one way my agency screws with you. There are leave blackouts, shift minimums, unfilled billets and seniority issues. I (and others, not whining) have repeatedly been denied leave applied for and have been later told to use accumulated leave or lose it.
To be fair, we've had one out with a service-connected injury for about two months. But if the billets were filled, this would not be an issue.

Greg Nichols
08-07-2019, 02:54 PM
Let's get this back on track shall we? Badger and Chef were, as ever, fantastic hosts and always seem to set the standard for taking care of us and the needs of the class and I'd happily fly out there purely for the enjoyment of their company. Sua did most of the heavy lifting on this one as it lands directly in his wheel house and it was enjoyable for me because in a lot of what was covered I knew the cursory diagnosis and treatment of most of what was taught, but not the details of how and why as well as the physiology behind how injuries can go from bad to worse and why. Thanks again to all who attended and to Sua for taking his time out right before he has to deploy again to come and do this event. I know for the class a lot of this information was like drinking from a fire hose and look forward to the following comments and questions so we can milk out all the content from the class. Especially those that have attended more than one class with Sua and I.

deadly_risk
08-07-2019, 06:45 PM
This class was awesome.

Thanks to Sua & Greg for taking time out of their lives to educate. I greatly appreciate the opportunity to learn far beyond what I can get locally. Also big thanks to Badger and friends for providing an excellent venue for this type class and managing all the logistics it took to pull this off.

Class did not just cover tactical medicine but provided a lot of focus on backcountry and the idea that a higher echelon of care may be days or longer away. I can easily see the section on impromptu splinting coming in handy, and in all honestly, I’m not sure I have ever even heard of ‘swathe’ before class. Much less understood why I should care.

One of the things that stood out to me was the current best practice for chest decompression needle placement. That’s a big change from TMCO a few years ago.

My open water SCUBA certification and stress and rescue classes covered CPR and supplemental oxygen, CNS O2 toxicity, and a bunch of other things but absolutely nothing on a BVM. I already have one ordered and headed my way.

If it was offered again in a week, I would take this exact same class again in a heartbeat.

Greg Nichols
08-20-2019, 01:46 PM
58313Learning how to improvise a sling with a shirt

58314Creating a traction splint for a broken femur
58315Tools of the trade
58316And of course, if your buddy is the training dummy for all your demos, you're going to draw a dick on him.

Brent Yamamoto
08-20-2019, 04:08 PM
58316And of course, if your buddy is the training dummy for all your demos, you're going to draw a dick on him.

Sorta like black on black.