PDA

View Full Version : INTERESTING NPE BLADES - Spyderco's ARK Knife

Gabriel Suarez
07-28-2019, 08:57 AM

The ARK—or “Always Ready Knife™—is a purpose-designed personal-defense knife conceived by U.S. Army combat veteran John Shirley and his friend Sam Owens. While deployed to Afghanistan, Shirley learned that an alarming number of U.S. personnel were falling victim to sexual assault, particularly while showering. Drawing from his knowledge of the Japanese martial arts and with the help of Owens’ skills as a craftsman, they developed the ARK as a lightweight self-defense tool that can literally be carried anywhere.

The heart of the ARK is its deeply curved clip-point blade ground from H-1® steel—a nitrogen-based alloy that is completely immune to rust. The curved edge packs impressive cutting power into the compact blade and the clip-point profile ensures a strong, extremely sharp point. The ARK’s fiberglass-reinforced-nylon (FRN) handle is molded directly onto the tang and features Spyderco’s proven Bi-Directional Texturing™ pattern and an index-finger groove to guarantee a secure grip—even with wet hands.
To ensure universal carry, the ARK includes an injection-molded polymer neck sheath with a breakaway ball chain.

Best of all, the ARK and its sheath together weigh only 2.0 ounces (57 grams), so you’ll hardly know it’s there—until you need it.

5" overall. 2.5" H1 steel blade. Black FRN handle. Thumb pull. Lanyard hole. Black polymer neck sheath.

BUY IT HERE (https://suarezinternational.com/spyderco-ark-always-ready-knife/)

khadga
07-28-2019, 11:58 AM
It's a great little knife, and it really doesn't rust.

Mine has been soaked in sweat from exercising in deep South heat and humidity countless times. It was just in the Gulf of Mexico for a couple of hours every day this past week.

I just rinsed some sand and salt haze off it in the sink, and tossed it in it's drawer.

Badger
07-28-2019, 12:20 PM
It's a great little knife, and it really doesn't rust.

Mine has been soaked in sweat from exercising in deep South heat and humidity countless times. It was just in the Gulf of Mexico for a couple of hours every day this past week.

I just rinsed some sand and salt haze off it in the sink, and tossed it in it's drawer.

Could you take a photo of yours in your hand for scale? I’d be interested in seeing that.

Gabriel Suarez
07-28-2019, 06:33 PM

Badger
07-28-2019, 07:11 PM
Thanks Gabe.

IANative
08-11-2019, 11:00 AM
What is/are the best option(s) for the cord/necklace? I have nickel allergies, so any cheap metal will give me an itchy rash. When it comes to metal, I can only wear stainless steel or other similar alloys, sterling silver (at least 99% pure) or 14K gold.

IANative
08-11-2019, 12:16 PM
What is/are the best option(s) for the cord/necklace? I have nickel allergies, so any cheap metal will give me an itchy rash. When it comes to metal, I can only wear stainless steel or other similar alloys, sterling silver (at least 99% pure) or 14K gold.

I may have just answered my own question. Apparently, you can get ball chain in sterling silver and/or stainless steel.

Mushinto
08-11-2019, 01:37 PM

You can get some nice black Ti chains on Ebay for under 20 bucks.

--ML

COG
08-11-2019, 03:09 PM
I've worn an "ARK" for the last couple years, but worn some type of neck knife 30 plus.. I like the little Spyderco best of any that I've worn. I totally forgot I still had it on the other day when I went in for xrays on my neck, that is until I pulled my shirt off during the exam. The xray tech made a comment "you expecting trouble?"; I just replied - always....

BTW, mine came with a quality stainless bead chain.

Sharkbite
08-11-2019, 04:26 PM
Can't wait. Placed an assorted order today and the ARK was on it.

Forklift
08-12-2019, 08:14 AM
Very nice, I've added that to the list..

Popshot
08-28-2019, 10:57 AM
These Spyderco blades I ordered from SI are very nice additions to my daily carry gear.

I have tried neck carry knives in the past and could never find one that I would put up with for very long. Either, bulky or far too small for effective use. The Spyderco ARK fits the role of neck carry very well. Slim, light, small, but effective handle, plus corrosion resistant H1 steel, especially during the Gulf Coast summer weather.

The Spyderco Yojimbo 2 is a beast of a blade, in an easy to carry format.58341

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Glock22
08-28-2019, 02:14 PM
I've worn an "ARK" for the last couple years, but worn some type of neck knife 30 plus.. I like the little Spyderco best of any that I've worn. I totally forgot I still had it on the other day when I went in for xrays on my neck, that is until I pulled my shirt off during the exam. The xray tech made a comment "you expecting trouble?"; I just replied - always....

BTW, mine came with a quality stainless bead chain.

Hello everyone. I have gotten that same response from colleagues (that aren't prepared for ANYTHING). I have carried a knife or knives since I was a kid, perhaps partly due to being in the woods a lot, etc. In fact, I carry even around the house and yard. We have two little terriers that we walk every night and have been stalked within about 30 meters by coyotes. We have a pack that lives about 5 blocks from our house and we walk right past the marsh they call home. So, on many levels we must be prepared to protect ours and ourselves. What I do not understand about these colleagues of mine, is that many are very objective, PhD level educated folks that fully embrace science, evidence, etc. Yet, when confronted with facts, evidence that there are dangers among us, it just does not register with them that they ought to be mitigating the very real risks out there. It blows my mind. Nonetheless, I loved your response to the xray tech!

ARodPDT117
08-30-2019, 11:16 AM
Just got one to send to my sister, she is a rafter and always has a larger utility knife or kabar type and wanted something small for quick work when needed, this will fit the bill perfect. Plus she can utilize it everyday as well. Thanks