PDA

View Full Version : Metal Pump Advantages/Disadvantages Discussion

WraithWolf
04-29-2019, 09:32 AM
Since this TAC-14 is already a really light weight shotgun, I would not mind for a few more ounce's on the pump to reduce the muzzle rise. I want to set mine up so shooting #1 Buck 3" is more inviting to do long training sessions with. A machined metal pump, with more aggressive handstop barrier near the muzzle than the magpul one would be awesome for my uses. Seen too many reports of plastic handstop attachments breaking under full powered loads. Just got my TAC-14 a few days ago here in Ohio as they were illegal up until the start of April almost. I have always shot better with shotguns that were front heavy, which is the opposite of rifles where I prefer them balanced closer to the rear in most weight. Would love to hear everyone's take on something like this.

Greg Nichols
04-29-2019, 09:40 AM
Personally, I'm not going to take a light, handy, and maneuverable weapon and intentionally make it heavier. The requirement for fast follow up shots isn't really within the Role/Niche of this weapon system.

Here's something I wrote on recoil management a while back: http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?136785-The-Dance-of-the-Shotgun

Gabriel Suarez
04-29-2019, 09:43 AM
Since this TAC-14 is already a really light weight shotgun, I would not mind for a few more ounce's on the pump to reduce the muzzle rise. I want to set mine up so shooting #1 Buck 3" is more inviting to do long training sessions with. A machined metal pump, with more aggressive handstop barrier near the muzzle than the magpul one would be awesome for my uses. Seen too many reports of plastic handstop attachments breaking under full powered loads. Just got my TAC-14 a few days ago here in Ohio as they were illegal up until the start of April almost. I have always shot better with shotguns that were front heavy, which is the opposite of rifles where I prefer them balanced closer to the rear in most weight. Would love to hear everyone's take on something like this.

I have been running 870s since 1983. I have never seen an american made, non-cheap-bullshit-manufacture handstop attachments break. Maybe I don't have sufficient experience to know...but there it is. Front heavy is not a good idea. Shooting and gunfighting are not the same, so lets work hard to not confuse the two. For gunfighting a lighter weapon is a faster weapon. Want to reduce recoil? Port the barrel.

See video below. This is with buckshot. See the gasses escape from the top. That reduces recoil far better than an overweight weapon.

https://vimeo.com/261336303

I

Papa
04-29-2019, 10:00 AM
A long gun for gunfighting--even one with a short barrel--needs to have a "lively" feel, if that makes sense. Excessive weight up front is great for offhand target shooting, or followthrough on clays and high flying birds, but impairs close, quick action.
I haven't heard of handguard or attachment failures, but my experience is limited to factory and Magpul.
Porting, grip surfaces and stance make all the difference.

WraithWolf
04-29-2019, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I saw that video Gabe, I think I will invest one of the Slug Sight Ported Barrels for sure. I whole heartily agree with the video on the sights having the same sight system as a sidearm.

Papa
04-29-2019, 11:25 AM
From another post this morning:

Imagine shooting with your dream rifle. It’s accurate, light and handy. Imagine how easily it swings from one target to the next, how deadly you are with it. Now add five pounds of lead to that rifle...five pounds that give you no additional advantage. What happens to its handling characteristics?

Brent Yamamoto
04-29-2019, 11:25 AM
Technique

jmoore
04-29-2019, 11:32 AM
First off - I do not shoot it a lot.
Having said that - i can drive my 1301 Beretta much better than any shotgun I have shot in a long time, and I attribute that to the fact it is so light. I hit what I aim at, and I can get there pretty damn fast.

geezer john

Greg Nichols
04-29-2019, 11:35 AM
First off - I do not shoot it a lot.
Having said that - i can drive my 1301 Beretta much better than any shotgun I have shot in a long time, and I attribute that to the fact it is so light. I hit what I aim at, and I can get there pretty damn fast.

geezer john

If you review the last line of my above linked article, the mount is all of it. The lighter the weapon, the faster and more consistent the mount.

Dorkface
04-29-2019, 11:37 AM
A ported barrel. Trust me. Just give Gabe your money. Don't fight it.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?139438-Of-slugs-sights-and-barrel-ports

WraithWolf
05-02-2019, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Can anyone recommend the best handstop for these? I will def send my barrel in when funds allow for porting!

Brent Yamamoto
05-02-2019, 06:34 AM
You don’t want a hand stop on this gun. For one thing, it will be very uncomfortable when you shoot it. Grip it tightly at the rear of the handguard. When ported and using correct technique and ammo (Fed #4 buck is gentle), you will find it is easy. And should your hand slip anyway, there’s enough handguard you have plenty of room. The handguard is also an effective stop by itself. And if you order the SI tube extension, the sling loop is yet another speed bump.

But this is not an issue if shooting it correctly.

Dorkface
05-02-2019, 06:59 AM
You don't need a hand stop or a muzzle break. You need barrel porting. Trust me. :) Read my port thread a few times.

WraithWolf
05-02-2019, 08:06 PM
The magazine extension and sling mount are first for me already. I like using 3” shells in it. Been practicing with #4 buck 41 ball and #1 24 ball. I love the patterns it throws with the good buffer shot at 30m
I intend for this to be a long distances back packing tool in Idaho near my parents cabin. Near Yellowstone lots of big bears. As well as something for ready access in the home to defend the family

45Smashemflat
05-03-2019, 04:11 PM
I second the porting recommendation. I recently posted as well regarding this. I had my 14" for quite a while before getting Gabe's ported barrel, with a wink at that other post THAT was a game changer.