PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stone

Papa
12-02-2018, 06:31 PM
Or rolling Sten, if you like.

A little something the crew picked up yesterday, and doomed to destruction.

Far as we can tell, it's fully functional, including the "R" setting on the selector. No SN, and no paper.

I assume it's a parts kit assembled into an aftermarket/homebuilt receiver.

Love to have one of these as a pistol with a brace.

And yes, I know I'm not supposed to hold it by the magazine when shooting.

P.D.
12-02-2018, 08:10 PM
Trust me. Have your S.O, especially the bosses, have a range day with it. I guarantee it will end up in your S.O.'s armory. You have no idea how much fun a STEN can be!

Papa
12-02-2018, 08:13 PM
At minimum, confirmation testing is required.

Gabriel Suarez
12-02-2018, 08:49 PM
Yeah...just to make sure its real

barnetmill
12-02-2018, 09:04 PM
Or rolling Sten, if you like.

A little something the crew picked up yesterday, and doomed to destruction.

Far as we can tell, it's fully functional, including the "R" setting on the selector. No SN, and no paper.

I assume it's a parts kit assembled into an aftermarket/homebuilt receiver.

Love to have one of these as a pistol with a brace.

And yes, I know I'm not supposed to hold it by the magazine when shooting.
i have been told that by owners, but a WWII veteran that was American claimed that a sten would traverse across a room when held by the mag. I only fired them as I was instructed to and that was not hold them by the magazine well.

choirboy
12-03-2018, 05:22 PM
When Carter was Prez .................................................. .....

Papa
12-03-2018, 06:33 PM
When Carter was Prez .................................................. .....

Don't. I'm at the verge of tears thinking about it.

45Smashemflat
12-08-2018, 03:21 PM
I think the going manufactured price was something like $1.75 back during the war... Amazing what they go for now. A distant relative was one of the designers, the T in STEN...

EDELWEISS
12-08-2018, 05:57 PM
Can I just say I love my MKII STEn and Sterlings. The side mag is an acquired taste; but once you embrace it; youll love it. The STEn gets a bad wrap about jamming; but its really bad mags that are the issue, and 75 years later they haven't gotten any better. When you find good ones cherish them. The problem was so many manufactures and of course wartime conditions; but mostly just ho hum quality demands.

The Sterling on the other hand is pretty F-ing special. OK maybe its not up to the standards of a modern Gen 3 closed bolt SMG (MP5/Colt SMG). The Sterling is the best of the post war open bolt gun, yes I think even better than the UZI (but that just a personal call). The Sterling has rollers instead of a magazine follower, making loading super easy without any tools. Theres a big debate whether the Sterling was designed to use STEn mags in an emergency, or if that was just happenstance. Personally I have a hard time believing it was intentional, given the quality and design time they put into the actual Sterling mags. Yes I have used STEn mags in my Sterlings and they worked; but I made sure I have enough real Sterling mags so I don't have to worry. On the flipside I run STEn mags in my M10 because even with the issues they are much more available (and cheaper) than M10 mags simply from a volume of availability point.

Both the STEN and Sterling had suppressed versions. Of course the Sterling is better. Again keep in mind they are open bolt guns so yeah the MP5SD is quieter; but the Sterling L34a1 is pretty F-ing quiet.

My STEn is a MK II, the one your guys found is a MK III, even crude-er than the MK II. Id love to have a MK V; but I don't know if its really better just kinda cooler especially if youre into Operation Market Garden history.

Yes there are better SMGs available now; but better is by todays standards. Would I choose to run a STEn in combat, yeah but that comes from lots of familiarity with the gun....and yeah Id prefer a Sterling.

Papa
12-08-2018, 07:07 PM
Yeah, this one is pretty crude, with what looks like a stamped "sear" with a separate pin to hold the "pawl." But with a little tweaking and TLC, I wouldn't hesitate to run one. Not too bad a CQB rig despite the lack of a real safety, the crude sights and the additional tricks needed to run it from the left side.

I, too, would prefer a Sterling, with those lovely curved roller mags.

choirboy
12-09-2018, 06:46 AM
If my memory is correct, I seem to recall the gubmint paid 3 bucks and change for the M-3 Grease Guns.

Choirboy

barnetmill
12-09-2018, 07:51 AM
If my memory is correct, I seem to recall the gubmint paid 3 bucks and change for the M-3 Grease Guns.

Choirboy
It was in WWII dollars about 22 bucks.
From a quick google fact check

At the beginning of World War II a Model 1928A1 cost the U.S. Government about $212. The alterations to make them into cheaper M1 and M1A1 reduced that to between $42 and $44. However, a Grease Gun only set the government back about $22.

But adjusted for today it would be a lot more.

$1 in 1945 is equivalent in purchasing power to $13.62 in 2017, http://www.in2013dollars.com/1945-dollars-in-2017?amount=1

Papa
12-09-2018, 07:53 AM
And now you can buy semiauto versions of each for around $1200 bucks without a magazine. I won't even try to post the link.

barnetmill
12-09-2018, 07:55 AM
I think the going manufactured price was something like $1.75 back during the war... Amazing what they go for now. A distant relative was one of the designers, the T in STEN...
I googled the price

It took about five man-hours to make one weapon and the Sten cost about $10 to produce—about $130 a weapon today when you account for inflation.

barnetmill
12-09-2018, 07:57 AM
And now you can buy semiauto versions of each for around $1200 bucks without a magazine. I won't even try to post the link.
I am not sure just how many parts they can use from a kit to make a semi-auto sten since it must fire from a closed bolt.

jlwilliams
12-09-2018, 08:26 AM
I am not sure just how many parts they can use from a kit to make a semi-auto sten since it must fire from a closed bolt.

You can use the external stuff like the mag well and the trigger housing and stock. The bolt can be milled out to take a floating firing pin and then it can be built as a striker fired or hammer fired system. Lots of work. I did two of them years ago. One with the side feed and the other converted to vertical magazine. It's fun if you like to build. If you want to shoot, the AR is your friend.

barnetmill
12-09-2018, 08:34 AM
You can use the external stuff like the mag well and the trigger housing and stock. The bolt can be milled out to take a floating firing pin and then it can be built as a striker fired or hammer fired system. Lots of work. I did two of them years ago. One with the side feed and the other converted to vertical magazine. It's fun if you like to build. If you want to shoot, the AR is your friend.
Yes Sir the AR is your friend if you want the easy button for sure.
But why would you want a vertical magazine. A side mounted mag has a lot of things going for it. The Aussies mounted them almost on the top position on the Owens.

P.D.
12-09-2018, 11:07 AM
But why would you want a vertical magazine. A side mounted mag has a lot of things going for it. The Aussies mounted them almost on the top position on the Owens.

Actually, the Owen Gun and its successor, the F1 SMG both had top feed magazines -- like the Bren LMG. And yes, I have real life experience with them. There are two advantages to a top feed Mag; 1, gravity assist in the event of weak springs or dirty mags; 2, no mag in the way going prone.

Papa
12-09-2018, 01:59 PM
There's YouTube video from a couple years ago of Gunny and Kirsten Joy Weiss making fruit salad with a pair of Owens.

No reason a modern braced version couldn't be built as a pistol with, say, Uzi mags.

EDELWEISS
12-09-2018, 06:14 PM
No reason a modern braced version couldn't be built as a pistol with, say, Uzi mags.

There was a SMG called the Sidewinder prototype (made by Sid McQueen) that was very STEn-esque. Instead of a shoulder stock it had a semi curved "butt" that was horizontal and meant to be braced by the inner arm at the elbow. It was a "bullpup" design with the grip almost at the muzzle. The mag well could pivot to either side. The idea being that it could be fired from either arm. There were no sights, aiming was more instinctual and impact based. Later versions changed the horizontal brace to a more typical vertical curved stock and sights were added. The Bushmaster Arm gun used a similar concept.

Other than being full auto, I wonder how the inner arm brace would be viewed today?

barnetmill
12-09-2018, 09:04 PM
Actually, the Owen Gun and its successor, the F1 SMG both had top feed magazines -- like the Bren LMG. And yes, I have real life experience with them. There are two advantages to a top feed Mag; 1, gravity assist in the event of weak springs or dirty mags; 2, no mag in the way going prone.
Also the mag is not the way for prone with side mount. The problem would be with corners.

jlwilliams
12-10-2018, 05:31 PM

I did it because I could and it looked like a rare last ditch German gun. (MP3008, basically a vertical mk2 with a loop stock) The fun for me at the time was building something that I could shoot. For a few years I was deep into gun builds.