PDA

View Full Version : INTERESTING WEAPON FROM ANGSTADT

Gabriel Suarez
11-16-2018, 08:08 AM
http://jerkingthetrigger.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/scw9-right-extended-575x441.jpg

Angstadt Arms is proud to introduce the SCW-9 Sub Compact Weapon. The SCW-9 was designed to meet the strict requirements of the U.S. Army Sub Compact Weapon program. At just 14.7” long and 4 lbs., the SCW- 9 provides greater lethality than pistols and much greater concealability over standard rifles. With a rate of fire of 1,110 rounds per minute, the SCW-9 is capable of accurately engaging threats with a high volume of lethal force.

SCW-9 Key Design Elements

Fully ambidextrous controls, including magazine release, safety selector, charging handle and bolt catch and release
Accepts GLOCK® 9mm magazines (Given the orgasmic reaction to the M17/SIG 320, why Glock?)
4” barrel with 3-lug adapter for sound suppression
Ability to fire UTM marking and training rounds
Overall length collapsed: 14.7”
Collapsed stock length: 2.5”
Weight: 4 lbs
Rate of Fire (approximate): 1,100 rounds per minute

The Shortest Sub Compact Stock System

In addition to 9mm, the shortened stock system developed for the SCW-9 has been tested in both 5.56 NATO and .300 AAC Blackout calibers. This allows any M4 style rifle to reduce its overall collapsed stock length from 7” to just 2.5”. Making it the shortest telescoping AR-15 stock system available.

Angstadt Arms has plans to offer the shortened stock system to other manufacturers who wish to incorporate it into their firearms. A pistol brace version of the shortened stock system is currently in development for the U.S. commercial market.

Greg Nichols
11-16-2018, 08:13 AM
Fully ambidextrous controls, including magazine release, safety selector, charging handle and bolt catch and release

Accepts GLOCK® 9mm magazines (Given the orgasmic reaction to the M17/SIG 320, why Glock?)
4” barrel with 3-lug adapter for sound suppression
Ability to fire UTM marking and training rounds
Overall length collapsed: 14.7”
Collapsed stock length: 2.5”
Weight: 4 lbs
Rate of Fire (approximate): 1,100 rounds per minute

[/BOLD]

I would guess that for those that would use this system Glock is the sidearm of choice. The M17 was only orgasmic to the paper pushers would also be my guess.

Papa
11-16-2018, 08:58 AM
Looks like something Jack Kirby drew in the 60s.

The stock/brace is what's important here: and I hope it's strong, user-friendly, and reasonably priced.

Greg Nichols
11-16-2018, 08:59 AM
Any intel on MSRP?

Dorkface
11-16-2018, 09:25 AM
That IS interesting...

M1A's r Best
11-16-2018, 10:16 AM
Greater lethality than pistols? 9mm is 9mm unless they mean you can hit them more times/faster on full auto.

It's an AR15 take off but I wonder how many AR15 parts can be used, or how hard it is to buy spares for the ones that are not AR15 parts.

LawDog
11-16-2018, 02:29 PM
Sold. I just need one with a brace rather than a stock. I've been looking at the Scorpion with a very critical eye, trying to pick it apart and devise my perfect PDW. I like many things about the Vector, but dislike many other things. My primary gripe about the AR is the need for a folder to get it down to an efficient packable length--but you can't fire it (more than once) with the stock folded. This solves that problem. I'll probably want a couple more inches of handguard, for both grip and a light, but that shouldn't be a difficult modification.

I hope they go with a Tailhook for the brace, but I can live with SB. I don't want an SBR, though, because this would be a traveling companion.

JDoza
11-16-2018, 02:41 PM
It looks REALLY interesting... if you subscribe to the common belief that Uncle Sam buys nothing but the best of top of the line MILSPEC stuff. Yes, Angstadt makes quality. It appears to be an AR chambered in 9mm cartridges that feeds from Glock magazines. I've been meaning to build one with a folding brace (Law Tactical). My guess is the Internet Operators will embrace this PCC AR like a fresh cup of Pumpkin Spice whatever.

LawDog
11-16-2018, 03:50 PM
if you subscribe to the common belief that Uncle Sam buys nothing but the best of top of the line MILSPEC stuff.Hopefully we have educated the tribe here well enough to know that 'Mil-Spec' does not equate to 'superior,' or to believe that the government only buys the best.

RobertGuy
11-16-2018, 05:59 PM
For us non-full auto civilians, why is the Angstadt Arms SCW-9 more interesting than their UDP-9 (https://angstadtarms.com/product/udp-9-pistol-with-sba3-brace/)?
And there's also their UDP-9iP integrally suppressed pistol that's quite interesting too.

Dorkface
11-16-2018, 06:04 PM
For us non-full auto civilians, why is the Angstadt Arms SCW-9 more interesting than their UDP-9 (https://angstadtarms.com/product/udp-9-pistol-with-sba3-brace/)?
And there's also their UDP-9iP integrally suppressed pistol that's quite interesting too.

Its more the stock, or rather the brace they are developing, that is interesting.

EDELWEISS
11-16-2018, 06:33 PM
Straight off the top of my head it looks like pretty much any Glock magazine 9mm AR lower with a short (4") barrel. The big difference is what looks like a really short buffer tube and a PDW (Honey Badger) type stock.

The current PDW style stocks and braces are designed around 556/300 Blk Out rounds with the need for a larger(longer) buffer. Typically 9mm ARs are blowback using a heavy buffer and spring. My guess is they have found a way to build a system that works with a shorter buffer tube by using an even heavier buffer and heavier spring???

I like it (of course I do, its a SMG!). Im not sure how much I think the a 4 inch barrel is a good idea; but it does keep a short OAL. I don't know how revolutionary the design is, other than being AR based, it seems very HK MP5PDW-esque. I based my AR9K off the same concept a few years ago (before the Honey Badger braces were available). Back then I used a 5" barrel (3 lugged) with a Law Tactical folding unit and a Gear Head Works Tailhook brace. The folder makes it short (but fat when folded) and of course makes it a one shot affair if fired with the fired with the brace folded.

The MagPul sights are nice but Id run a RMR or something similar.

LawDog
11-17-2018, 06:33 AM
For us non-full auto civilians, why is the Angstadt Arms SCW-9 more interesting than their UDP-9 (https://angstadtarms.com/product/udp-9-pistol-with-sba3-brace/)?.

It’s all about the buffer tube (receiver extension). That design feature prevents the AR from being useable while the stock is folded. Shortening that part is both significant and difficult.

I’ve got a CMMG dedicated 22LR upper that incorporates the entire bolt movement within the upper receiver. It makes me wonder if that system could be adapted to 9mm. When all bolt movement is in the upper, you could do away with the buffer tube and just attach a stock/brace. It would also generate the need for a new folding stock (sans buffer tube) for the AR (which could be used immediately on the CMMG .22 rifles).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EDELWEISS
11-17-2018, 10:44 AM
It’s all about the buffer tube (receiver extension). That design feature prevents the AR from being useable while the stock is folded. Shortening that part is both significant and difficult.

Exactly

jlwilliams
11-17-2018, 04:28 PM
This is a cool little gun. It will be interesting to see what the braced version looks like. I'm sure that once the civilian version comes out all the small details (barrel length, threaded vs integral, so on) will be up to the paying customer.

I'm glad they went Glock mag first, but if the Army wants a few thousand of them with the 320 mag set up I'm sure it's possible.

Ted Demosthenes
01-20-2019, 11:15 AM
The MagPul sights are nice but Id run a RMR or something similar.

Yup. RMR with SI designed BUIS. MP sights are nice, but smaller co-witnessed pistol versions might be a “better” choice?

jesmith
01-21-2019, 07:37 AM
It’s all about the buffer tube (receiver extension). That design feature prevents the AR from being useable while the stock is folded. Shortening that part is both significant and difficult. It's not really that hard to shorten the buffer tube IF you strictly stick with a pistol cartridge. The AR was designed around a rifle length cartridge and has a lot of bulk that is simply not needed. Look at any short slide 9mm pistol (Glock 26 for example). How much reciprocating length do you really need?
My uneducated guess is that while it looks somewhat like an AR platform. (the modular design concept is a good one) It shares no common internal parts.

blackie
01-22-2019, 02:49 PM
Sold. I just need one with a brace rather than a stock.
Have you seen the Sig copperhead? Too bad it doesn’t use glock mags.

https://www.sigsauer.com/press-releases/sig-sauer-releases-the-ultra-compact-mpx-copperhead/

choirboy
01-22-2019, 03:34 PM
Hopefully we have educated the tribe here well enough to know that 'Mil-Spec' does not equate to 'superior,' or to believe that the government only buys the best.

It usually means what the low bidder can get away with. I remember an interview with an Astronaut asking what went through his mind at the precise moment of liftoff when there was no stopping the action. He said something to the effect that every nut, bolt and screw on that tin can came from the low-bidder on a gubmint contract.

Choirboy

LawDog
01-23-2019, 12:36 PM
It's not really that hard to shorten the buffer tube IF you strictly stick with a pistol cartridge. The AR was designed around a rifle length cartridge and has a lot of bulk that is simply not needed. Look at any short slide 9mm pistol (Glock 26 for example). How much reciprocating length do you really need?
My uneducated guess is that while it looks somewhat like an AR platform. (the modular design concept is a good one) It shares no common internal parts.

It would be really nifty if they could contain the bolt movement entirely in the upper receiver. That would allow for a side-folding stock and could be fired in either position. CMMG’s rimfire kits do this. It might be possible with 9mm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nanuk
03-06-2019, 04:51 AM
It's not really that hard to shorten the buffer tube IF you strictly stick with a pistol cartridge. The AR was designed around a rifle length cartridge and has a lot of bulk that is simply not needed. Look at any short slide 9mm pistol (Glock 26 for example). How much reciprocating length do you really need?

You are correct, however, with the design of the AR in Pistol caliber the tip of a HP bullet in the mag is about 1/2" from the chamber. Its early, but I think the PCC bolt needs about 1/2 the travel of the rifle caliber bolt. I use the Taccom 3G buffer/spring system. Another nice thing with the 9mm lowers is that they are always at the correct angle and height.

Nanuk
03-06-2019, 05:00 AM

It is also the part that allows for braces on AR pistols.

I would like to go shorter and the Angstad pistol brace version might be the way forward.

RobertGuy
03-19-2019, 11:21 AM
Would the "Deadfoot Arms Folder" be a viable solution, and a solution for all AR15/PDW patterns?
Would the folder place Angstadt Arms SCW-9 equally with Shield Arms SA-9?
Are there other differentiating factors?

Its more the stock, or rather the brace they are developing, that is interesting.

I’ve got a CMMG dedicated 22LR upper that incorporates the entire bolt movement within the upper receiver. It makes me wonder if that system could be adapted to 9mm. When all bolt movement is in the upper, you could do away with the buffer tube and just attach a stock/brace. It would also generate the need for a new folding stock (sans buffer tube) for the AR (which could be used immediately on the CMMG .22 rifles).