PDA

View Full Version : Heavy steel or BB shot in Stake out? Performance?

jwidaho
10-03-2018, 09:20 AM
In case I missed it...how does heavy steel or BB shot perform in the STAKEOUT or TAC-14?- jw

Gabriel Suarez
10-03-2018, 09:55 AM
I don't know. I only use bird shot for training.

jwidaho
10-03-2018, 10:47 AM
I would think face/head shot at CQ would be devastating with heavy/BB shot. Wasn't thinking bargain #7 1/2 birdshot for training.--jw

Hasher
10-03-2018, 11:07 AM
Again

why would you even consider any type of birdshot when there are literally dozens and dozens of prov n effective buckshot loads out there?

this is not a whee that needs reinventing

Greg Nichols
10-03-2018, 11:07 AM
I would think face/head shot at CQ would be devastating with heavy/BB shot. Wasn't thinking bargain #7 1/2 birdshot for training.--jw

One of my favorite shotgun fighting loads is steel, magnum, turkey load. I forgot to pick some up the last time I worked with the PGO so I could test it with the shorter barrel but just go buy a box and shoot a watermelon with it and see how it does.

ETA: That was from a full sized barrel so I can't speak to it.

Brent Yamamoto
10-03-2018, 11:13 AM
Federal #4 buck is excellent for this role. It delivers plenty of hate on target and is gentle to shoot.

No need to even consider bbs.

Gabriel Suarez
10-03-2018, 11:46 AM

Sure - but that makes your Stakeout an even more specific special purpose niche weapon. "Use for face shots only and only out to 5 yards". Birdshot will not have any sort of devastating effect on a torso nor will it have any sort of effect on cover. And since regular buckshot will do anything that birdshot will do, we get back to the "what is the point of doing this?" issue.

Gabriel Suarez
10-03-2018, 11:47 AM
But you know what...put what you want in there.

What is in mine? 00 Buck Low Recoil.

Brent Yamamoto
10-03-2018, 12:13 PM
But you know what...put what you want in there.

What is in mine? 00 Buck Low Recoil.

I've fired a lot of 00 Buck Low Recoil and would have no issue carrying that full time in the Stakeout.

The #4 buck is a great load, does everything you need it to for reasonable distances with the Stakeout, and is a little milder to shoot. But it's really not a big jump up to go to 00 Buck, and once I've shot through all my #4 I'm probably just going to go with 00 all the time.

I've shot magnum loads through mine and although you can definitely feel it, they really aren't difficult to handle if you know how to control recoil. I don't carry that stuff but it will work fine in a pinch.

No need to consider bird for anything but training. Sure, no one wants to get shot in the face with it, but face shots aren't always possible. And since it's easy to shoot #4 or 00, why would we even consider it?

Shooting the Stakeout/Tac-14 does require some technique. If you find that you can't control a decent fighting load with your gun, you need to recognize it's a technique problem, not an ammo problem. There's no shame in that. Watch the videos we've done. Video yourself and compare. If you can't figure it out, let us know and we can help. Don't let technique problems dictate poor ammo selection.

psalms23dad
10-03-2018, 12:20 PM
Fyi, steel shot tends to ricochet and or come back at you if shot at hard targets. Ive shot plenty of steel targets with shotguns and lead loads. Wouldn't even consider shooting a steel target with steel or bb loads. All I'm saying is don't assume a bb load and or heavy shot will react the same while training.

barnetmill
10-03-2018, 12:37 PM
Fyi, steel shot tends to ricochet and or come back at you if shot at hard targets. Ive shot plenty of steel targets with shotguns and lead loads. Wouldn't even consider shooting a steel target with steel or bb loads. All I'm saying is don't assume a bb load and or heavy shot will react the same while training.
That was going to be my comment. Growing up shooting daisy bb guns with steel shot teaches you that very quickly.

TFA303
10-03-2018, 01:10 PM
And if you haven't shot and patterned it in your gun, you don't really know anything for sure, so if you want to find out, buy a box and give it a try.

Greg Nichols
10-03-2018, 01:14 PM
Federal #4 buck is excellent for this role. It delivers plenty of hate on target and is gentle to shoot.

No need to even consider bbs.

That Spartan stuff did really well at almost half the price too. I was much impressed with it.

jwidaho
10-03-2018, 01:16 PM
Thanx all. I was just wondering. I'll stick with all the 00 buck I have stored and try the low recoil loads next.-- jw

Greg Nichols
10-03-2018, 01:16 PM

This is actually a good point. I tried to pop a door with it once....... it was stinggey. The door opened as expected.... but there was splatter.

Brent Yamamoto
10-03-2018, 01:21 PM
That Spartan stuff did really well at almost half the price too. I was much impressed with it.

Absolutely. I bought a bunch after class and have been shooting it up. I still have a bit of Federal #4 that I've been carrying, but honestly I'd be comfortable carrying the Spartan 00 for social purposes. It patterns consistently, with an appropriate spread, and is gentle to shoot.

Chainsaw76
10-03-2018, 04:13 PM
I could see how HD in an apartment type bldg. could dictate using BB loads to limit over penetration. I keep mine loaded with reduced recoil 00 buck and train with birdshot and cheap buckshot.

I have an itch for Buck n Ball ( Single .69 Ball over four 00 or three 000) but would need more space than I have around me right now.

jim

Gabriel Suarez
10-03-2018, 05:16 PM
Not every battlefield calls for a battleaxe

45Smashemflat
10-04-2018, 07:05 AM
I keep #4 in the gun. The 25 round pouch I would deploy with contains more #4, 10 rounds of 00, and 4 1oz slugs, just in case that might be needed. I use my dove loads for training.