PDA

View Full Version : Franklin County Sheriff’s Office Bucks the Trend and Selects SIG P226

Gabriel Suarez
08-09-2018, 08:33 PM
The Ohio county’s Sheriff’s Department will be purchasing the SIG P226R as well as the compact P239 and an undisclosed number of M400 rifles. The Franklin Country Sheriff’s Department is a substantial agency employing over 1,500 armed officers responsible for patrol, investigations and county corrections.

NEWINGTON, N.H., (July 26, 2018) – SIG SAUER, Inc. is proud to announce the Franklin County Sheriff’s Department has selected the P226 Pistol as their official duty sidearm, and the department will additionally acquire the M400 rifle as the agency’s patrol rifle and the P239 pistol for the detective unit. The Franklin County Sheriff’s Department is a full-service law enforcement agency located in Columbus, Ohio.

“With this acquisition, the Franklin County Sheriff’s Department will, for the first time, be issuing a standard duty pistol to every certified officer on our force. We chose SIG SAUER’s P226 as our standard issue pistol after an extensive testing and review process and feel this is the best choice for our force,” began Captain James Simmons of the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office. “The P239 pistol and the M400 rifle are also being placed into service in our department and we are looking forward to developing our relationship with SIG SAUER.”

The SIG SAUER P226R pistol has earned a reputation with law enforcement and elite military agencies for its reliability, performance, durability in various environments, and consistent accuracy. The P226R pistol features an integral accessory rail for tactical light systems. The new duty service pistol for the Franklin County Sheriff’s Department will feature a hard anodized aluminum black frame with a black Nitron finished stainless steel slide and a 9mm 15-round magazine. The P239 9mm pistol is a compact classic line pistol with an aluminum frame and black polymer grips.

chad newton
08-09-2018, 08:49 PM
Well, they can’t go wrong with the sig. I was checking out a legion the other day. Pretty sweet...

chad newton
08-09-2018, 08:51 PM
They were issuing 220s in Georgia.

3corners
08-10-2018, 02:16 AM
..and SIG Sauer is based in NH.

Papa
08-10-2018, 04:30 AM
Helped a local PD, armed with a hodgepodge of revolvers and automatics, transition to the 226 so long ago I still had hair.

First the range master put me (BHP) left of the chief ( J-frame) in a high round stage of fire.

The merits of a hicap nine became obvious. Or maybe it was the shower of hot brass, They went with 226s and SSIIIs.

No rails then.

Bet Ohio County's new guns won't choke when you hang a light on them.

Sam Spade
08-10-2018, 09:14 AM
They can indeed go wrong. Modern SIG quality control just isn't what nostalgia remembers. I hope the obvious political move doesn't turn into a cluster such as NJSP suffered when they bought 229s.

Sorry, guys; the prom queen you remember is on the pipe, exactly like her sister Kimber.

390ish
08-10-2018, 09:19 AM
If a department buys 1,500 model M400 rifles, do think Sig will provide them with the specs on barrels and bcg? I have an M400 enhanced upper that runs fine, but the specs are basically “trust us”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silversport
08-10-2018, 09:42 AM
They can indeed go wrong. Modern SIG quality control just isn't what nostalgia remembers. I hope the obvious political move doesn't turn into a cluster such as NJSP suffered when they bought 229s.

Sorry, guys; the prom queen you remember is on the pipe, exactly like her sister Kimber.

Have there been issues with the SIG "classic" pistols???...other than perhaps some "special forces muff diver delta" versions or the newer striker fired versions, I've not read that...sad if true

Bill

Gabriel Suarez
08-10-2018, 09:54 AM
I dunno...I have three SIG P-226 and they all work fine. Never had any issues with them. I keep one handy when someone brings a DA pistol to class. I would carry one of them over any SIG 320. So maybe the prom queen became a rich CEO nympho and the pipe she is on is different than the one Kimber is on.

Sam Spade
08-10-2018, 10:30 AM
Have there been issues with the SIG "classic" pistols???...other than perhaps some "special forces muff diver delta" versions or the newer striker fired versions, I've not read that...sad if true

Bill
NJSP is suing SIG, alleging that their 229s have an ongoing failure to extract problem, and that customer service has not been responsive. They bought Glocks as a fix. The M11A1 has the same issues in the open market: you either get a lemon or a working gun.

The Kimber crack is a note that the same micromanaging CEO that nose-dived Kimber is now in charge at SIG, and the QC issues in the US started with him.

Vigilant
08-10-2018, 01:14 PM
NJSP is suing SIG, alleging that their 229s have an ongoing failure to extract problem, and that customer service has not been responsive. They bought Glocks as a fix. The M11A1 has the same issues in the open market: you either get a lemon or a working gun.

The Kimber crack is a note that the same micromanaging CEO that nose-dived Kimber is now in charge at SIG, and the QC issues in the US started with him.Cohen is the Angel of Death for the QC department of any gun manufacturer.

Allen
08-10-2018, 02:33 PM

The Kimber crack is a note that the same micromanaging CEO that nose-dived Kimber is now in charge at SIG, and the QC issues in the US started with him.
https://taskandpurpose.com/sig-sauer-blames-bad-ammunition-defective-handguns-supplied-nj-police/
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/05/24/sig-sauer-responds-new-jersey-state-police-lawsuit/

NJSP issue was with training ammo - who wants to bet the cheapest crap reloads on the market or some 'green' range ammo.

That being said, I'm aware of a number of people who have had spring issues with SIG, and some of the stamped parts ( SRT safety lever ) being out of spec.

Al

chad newton
08-10-2018, 03:07 PM
I dunno...I have three SIG P-226 and they all work fine. Never had any issues with them. I keep one handy when someone brings a DA pistol to class. I would carry one of them over any SIG 320. So maybe the prom queen became a rich CEO nympho and the pipe she is on is different than the one Kimber is on.

Whatever keeps her skinny, I’m all for it...:)

Gabriel Suarez
08-10-2018, 05:30 PM
Show me a modern mass produced pistol that is perfect out of the box.

Good luck.

Mike OTDP
08-10-2018, 05:42 PM
It doesn't help that most modern buyers are obsessed with price over quality. And are such poor shots that if you put a Hammerli 208S in their hands, they still could not hit an 8-inch target at 25 yards.

Gabriel Suarez
08-10-2018, 06:02 PM
The American gun community are what keeps Keltec in money. The number of people that will pay for excellence are very small.

chad newton
08-10-2018, 06:20 PM
The American gun community are what keeps Keltec in money. The number of people that will pay for excellence are very small.
Even if it didn’t work sig will fix it just like any other manufacturer. I’m not too convinced they are low quality. Even a Mercedes Benz can have trouble but so can a Kia. To me sigs are the Mercedes of the gun world....

chad newton
08-10-2018, 06:21 PM
One thing I can say is that they don’t come with plastic sights...

Screwball
08-10-2018, 06:42 PM
NJSP issue was with training ammo - who wants to bet the cheapest crap reloads on the market or some 'green' range ammo.

Speer Lawman 124 grain is what they use for training. Forget if they use +P or not... want to side with standard pressure.

NJAG guidelines require training ammo to be close to duty ammo... which their duty ammo is Speer Gold Dot 124 grain (also had issues in the P229s).

There was an issue with their SIGs (actually a few different issues across different shipments of pistols), which is sad because most Troopers I knew loved their P228s. They have been doing ok with the Glock 19s.

Gabriel Suarez
08-10-2018, 07:20 PM
OK...I get it....Fuck SIG. Never mind then.

chad newton
08-10-2018, 08:30 PM
Knowbody talks about all the problems lapd and Lasd has with the Smith & wessons, because they are the best thing since sliced bread right?

Papa
08-10-2018, 08:32 PM

Not giving mine up. Not even my 220. My 228, a safe queen now, is my favorite pistol. No rails, stamped slide, and no exceptions.

Mike Heckathorn
08-10-2018, 08:40 PM

Welcome to the life of a Beretta lover[emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IANative
08-10-2018, 09:06 PM
I've had a number of P22x Sigs, mostly 9mm but a couple of .45's, too. New and used. 3x P226, 4x M11-A1, 3x P239, 2x P229, 2x P220, even a 2022... that I can remember. They come and go as I carry my Glocks almost exclusively, but have never had a problem with any of them.

Screwball
08-10-2018, 09:36 PM
SIG is a good company... and I own two (P938, and also a very nice German P228). Neither are going to be sold off anytime soon.

I’m hoping SIG wins the CBP pistol trials, as I’m likely going to be working there during the transition from H&K. They are moving to 9mm, modular design, and one of the largest requests for RMR ready pistols I’ve seen. CBP and BP definitely did the right thing, as they asked agents in the field what they wanted, and based the request off that. While you can look at the requirements being covered by multiple companies, I think the chassis system SIG uses has the highest likelihood of becoming a standard. Glock can easily get into it with their current line (chassis isn’t a requirement), minus a tweak or two.

However, I still fault them for the P320 stuff, especially glossing over the fact that the fix isn’t a recall but an upgrade. Probably a board decision, who have shareholders to answer to... but still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. That being said, I’m only holding off on picking one up due to current state laws (fuck NJ, not getting any more money from me to get permission to purchase a handgun; I can wait until I move). Might sound hypocritical, but I do like the design (post “upgrade”), just dislike the administration. Kind of hard to distinguish that, as I fault the company for not recalling the same gun I would like to be adopted by the agency I’m being hired at. At least it was fixed.

For the NJSP, I’d chalk it up to a bad run. SIG was changing a lot of stuff at that time. They just made the move to the .40 frames across the board, which gave the 9mms two more rounds in the magazine. The extractors were also being changed at that time. The testing for the NJSP was guns with older extractors, received guns with the newer extractor, and then was given slides milled for the older extractor... somewhere in there, barrels were swapped out. The P229 adoption was similar to the SW99 (replaced the worn out P7M8s, but major issues from Jump Street), opposed to the P228 (replaced the S&W, mid-adoption). I don’t think there were any problems with the Glock adoption.

If there was a major production issue at SIG (meaning high rates of garbage coming out), it would be common knowledge by now... it isn’t.

paknheat
08-10-2018, 10:17 PM
Cohen is the Angel of Death for the QC department of any gun manufacturer.

Maybe he’s an anti gunner plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

M1A's r Best
08-11-2018, 03:56 AM
I walked into a gun store a couple months back and just had to buy one of the new M&P .380 EZ Shields.

The guy behind the counter told me that they were hearing lots of complaints about new handguns. All of them. Everything they sold. In fact, everything made in the USA. He mentioned some brand names. He said that what they were seeing was once a manufacturer started making pistols in the USA customers began having quality issues.

Just a QC/cost/profits thing. Quality costs money. Quality people operating your manufacturing facility costs money. Stockholders and CEOs want to cut costs and short term they believe they see the benefit of reducing the efforts/cost of producing a quality product. Long term is someone else's problem. They will be retired, promote, moved on to another company by then - or they'll find someone lower down in the organization to blame it on. It's never the bosses fault.

Cody C
08-11-2018, 04:39 AM
I'll keep my prom Queens thank you. I had one problem with my 226, the adjustable sights were junk. The first time it broke I asked for fixed sights, sent the slide in and they took care of it. Other than that they have been problem free.

The biggest head scratcher from this post beyond why people feel the need to continue to say "gun XXX is junk" without having first hand experience with gun XXX is how are they getting new p239s for their detectives? Are they bringing them back or are they getting the 225 and that was a misprint? I wouldn't mind a second 239 if they were doing a limited run...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Herbert West
08-11-2018, 06:04 AM
In response to Gabe asking what pistol works fine out of the box....Walther PPQ.....May need RMR, BUT, accurate and reliable out of the box, both M1 and M2 with 5" barrel. Have both never had an issue. Training classes, range time excess 5k rds each so far, running great.

Travlin
08-11-2018, 06:42 AM
All the Sigs I have run like champs. A little luvin coming out of the box and never had an issue.

Every mechanical system has the posibility of not being at 100% from the factory but maybe I'm in a minority. IF there is an issue at the start it doesn't distract from the end product after its been worked through.

Gabriel Suarez
08-11-2018, 08:12 AM
In response to Gabe asking what pistol works fine out of the box....Walther PPQ.....May need RMR, BUT, accurate and reliable out of the box, both M1 and M2 with 5" barrel. Have both never had an issue. Training classes, range time excess 5k rds each so far, running great.

Nope...got one for study and it was trash. Try again.

Brightlightman
08-11-2018, 04:29 PM
Nope...got one for study and it was trash. Try again.
I'd actually be curious at your findings, I wouldn't have guessed it.

Gabriel Suarez
08-11-2018, 05:53 PM
Needs better trigger, better sights, a red dot, better grip angle, better parts support, lower cost magazines...etc., etc.

NOTHING MASS PRODUCED IS PERFECT...OTHERWISE...

The cheapskates that keep tje gun industry afloat wouldnt buy it on price alone.

Cody C
08-11-2018, 06:12 PM
Being good at anything requires money and effort. Neither works by itself. Especially when it comes to shooting and car racing. I don't know why people don't get it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

silversport
08-11-2018, 06:44 PM
All the Sigs I have run like champs. A little luvin coming out of the box and never had an issue.

Every mechanical system has the posibility of not being at 100% from the factory but maybe I'm in a minority. IF there is an issue at the start it doesn't distract from the end product after its been worked through.

hear here...I’ve owned SIG pistols from 1987 til now, stamped and folded sheet steel slides to the stainless, external extractor slides...run great...many times the triggers on the newer models are better than my West German made models...and my American P226 is just fine thank you...

Ron Cohen takes a lot of flack on the Errornet but he sure seems to make SIG a lot of money and if he didn’t I’d expect they would have kicked him to the curb long ago...

Bill

Michael Biggs
08-23-2018, 08:55 PM
The Ohio county’s Sheriff’s Department will be purchasing the SIG P226R as well as the compact P239 and an undisclosed number of M400 rifles. The Franklin Country Sheriff’s Department is a substantial agency employing over 1,500 armed officers responsible for patrol, investigations and county corrections.

NEWINGTON, N.H., (July 26, 2018) – SIG SAUER, Inc. is proud to announce the Franklin County Sheriff’s Department has selected the P226 Pistol as their official duty sidearm, and the department will additionally acquire the M400 rifle as the agency’s patrol rifle and the P239 pistol for the detective unit. The Franklin County Sheriff’s Department is a full-service law enforcement agency located in Columbus, Ohio.

“With this acquisition, the Franklin County Sheriff’s Department will, for the first time, be issuing a standard duty pistol to every certified officer on our force. We chose SIG SAUER’s P226 as our standard issue pistol after an extensive testing and review process and feel this is the best choice for our force,” began Captain James Simmons of the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office. “The P239 pistol and the M400 rifle are also being placed into service in our department and we are looking forward to developing our relationship with SIG SAUER.”

The SIG SAUER P226R pistol has earned a reputation with law enforcement and elite military agencies for its reliability, performance, durability in various environments, and consistent accuracy. The P226R pistol features an integral accessory rail for tactical light systems. The new duty service pistol for the Franklin County Sheriff’s Department will feature a hard anodized aluminum black frame with a black Nitron finished stainless steel slide and a 9mm 15-round magazine. The P239 9mm pistol is a compact classic line pistol with an aluminum frame and black polymer grips.

Seems like a wise choice. I use my SIG Sauer P 226 frequently and it has never failed me...neither has my P 220, 228 or 229. Simple Is Good.

RayMich
08-24-2018, 09:46 AM
The Ohio county’s Sheriff’s Department will be purchasing the SIG P226R as well as the compact P239 and an undisclosed number of M400 rifles.
Hmm! - Apparently, Franklin County Sheriff’s department got the last of the SIG P239 pistols. I recently read that SIG has discontinued the P239 and that pistol no longer appears on their website.:scratchchin:

Gabriel Suarez
08-24-2018, 09:52 AM
Hmm! - Apparently, Franklin County Sheriff’s department got the last of the SIG P239 pistols. I recently read that SIG has discontinued the P239 and that pistol no longer appears on their website.:scratchchin:

Which is unfortunate as the 239 is a great low profile pseudo NPE pistol

RayMich
08-24-2018, 10:07 AM
Which is unfortunate as the 239 is a great low profile pseudo NPE pistol

Unfortunate indeed!

They did the same with the P290RS - An excellent NPE pistol.

Redneck Zen
08-24-2018, 09:00 PM
Yeah, try finding magazines. An old battle buddy has a P239 and I'm gifting him a couple of mags; they're running as high as a C-note, but I got "lucky" and found a couple around $75 apiece. Ah, the price of friendship.