PDA

View Full Version : Loomis

BigEd63
06-25-2018, 07:52 AM
Anyone have current or former employment with them?

There is a position with them open in my area for a delivery, armored car driver.

I'm considering applying. Any feedback would be appreciated

Ragsbo
06-25-2018, 08:49 AM
I was offered a job with them a while back but turned it down. Main problem I had with them is their policy is if someone robs the truck and has your partner at gun point, you are to drive off and leave them to murdered by the robber. They claimed studies showed that once the money was gone, so was the threat and the robber would just go away I guess. Also only paid 10 bucks an hour and you had to provide weapon, ammo, holster and bullet proof vest. Was suppose to be a local run but they made it real clear that they would expect you to go to Nashville and fill in all the time. The organization gave me the creeps and the tactical training officer was a wanna be for sure. I decided not to play their games.

chad newton
06-25-2018, 09:03 AM
I know nothing about security work, but if there is money there and benifits, go for it. Even if you had to fill in at another location, do they pay for drivetime? It’s all in the end result, if you can get more out of another job go for it. Becoming stagnet and complacent is the killer of men. A year and a half ago I drove across country with all my shit, bought a house, had 2 of the best jobs in the area, and I decided that it wasn’t all that great. Did I suck it up and just except a mediocre living? Hell no. I found enough work to get were I need to go at 3 times the pay, and now there is a lot of opportunities opening up. One I hope to tell you guys about some day. We will see, I think whatever the opportunity that presents itself has to be realized and you either act of not....

chad newton
06-25-2018, 09:07 AM
When I say across county, I mean across country. From coast to coast with four kids, 2 dogs, cat, and a very difficult wife.... I know nothing is impossible if you really want it...

Ragsbo
06-25-2018, 02:37 PM
Oh that reminds me, you had NO authority at all. Were carrying under the state of Kentucky's open carry law. It was not worth it for the part time low pay they offered.

apamburn
06-25-2018, 03:02 PM
When I worked private security we interacted with some Loomis guys. One man was from eastern europe, had no teeth, and didn't speak much english.

The other more "tactical" guy liked to carry his Springfield XD magazine backwards in the shitty double mag pouch that comes with an XD.

Another one carried the same XD gear mag pouch **UPSIDE DOWN** on his belt.

I would watch as these guys pulled up with regularity at the same time, same day every week, and the driver played on his phone waiting for the money guy to do his thing.

With that caliber of employee you're f***** if something goes down - that's if it's not an inside job with those kinds of guards.

They want me to toss on some armor and a gun to guard other people's money, and deal with THAT for $10/hr???

No thanks.

Red Ryder
06-25-2018, 04:11 PM
I know it's just a movie,but the opening scene in The Town with Ben Affleck has him describing the two guys in the "bread truck" and how they are not prepared to be robbed for $10 an hour. He profiled them on each robbery and did not like the kid with the body armor outside his shirt and the bloused pants in boots.

This post has me reflecting on that and how little compensation there is. Have a plan and live by it and try to keep a good team with you when you have cash on board and it could be a reasonable job for somebody looking for one. Godspeed.

chad newton
06-25-2018, 04:30 PM
What authority would you want to have as an armored car driver?
To jamb people up bro, what else would you want..... lol.....

Ragsbo
06-25-2018, 04:33 PM
What authority would you want to have as an armored car driver?

There are licensed security guard programs that would provide training and some kind of authorization other than what any joe in the street would have. They were NOT wanting to spend the money for such a program and there would have been very little if any training. There would have been a day firearm course in Tennessee so you could work there when they needed you (which was often since that is not a very market to work in). No tactical training at all and you worked with who ever they sent with you.

You do what you want. It could be that the outfit in your area is better. I am just telling my experiences.

Oh, yeah, they urged you to buy the ballistic vest that went over the shirt, but never really said why

Ragsbo
06-25-2018, 07:12 PM
Sorry, I'm confused. What kind of authorization could an armored car driver get that a private security license would provide?

Have some training, have some legal means of being armed besides that a normal person does and since you are going into banks and such where open carry is not allowed (or seriously discouraged), it would be helpful. IF you want someone to be a hired gun, then give them all the backing you can

barnetmill
06-26-2018, 08:21 AM
Domestic security jobs like for banks and armored cars are not known for being financially rewarding. Even the state and private correctional officers do not make much and their turn over rate is quite high. Often it is done while waiting to get hired by the local Sheriffs departments.

In my area sheriff deputies are not especially high paid either. Many do a lot of overtime or work private security. When they retire, they often stay active and still work 20 hours a week like a friend is doing now.
Someone I use to know did a lot of security and training work in Iraq and Afghanistan. His shooting skills are advanced but at times his thinking is not. He also worked for one of the major security outfits and ended up dealing with a strike in New England where the local LEOs were supporting the Strikers. I see he ended up for working as a trainer for a certain fellow with a very loud bombastic mouth whose name I will not mention here.

If you are working as a grunt you will not usually be earning a whole lot. I know of former military officers that did make some big bucks working overseas in leadership and managerial positions.

Mark Hatfield
06-26-2018, 12:11 PM
Reminds me of years ago when I turned down a job as an ambulance attendant. They wanted me as I was a certified first aid instructor (which made me more qualified than their people). They wanted to start me on 5 24 hour shifts per week, paying only for 14 of each 24 hours at minimum wage.

BigEd63
06-26-2018, 07:00 PM
Starting pay is $12 hr. As for gear I know about the pistol, holster and belt requirements. Body armor they better provide or supplement cost with a voucher or its a no go for me.

I'll see about getting more details from my acquaintance who works for them.

chad newton
06-26-2018, 07:24 PM
Reminds me of years ago when I turned down a job as an ambulance attendant. They wanted me as I was a certified first aid instructor (which made me more qualified than their people). They wanted to start me on 5 24 hour shifts per week, paying only for 14 of each 24 hours at minimum wage.
Lol... Fu!! That sh!!....

Randy Harris
06-27-2018, 08:38 AM
(yes, a lot of them carried revolvers)

That is often for a reason (other than being cheap) . You can shoot a revolver through the gun ports in the car....

barnetmill
06-27-2018, 08:58 AM
That is often for a reason (other than being cheap) . You can shoot a revolver through the gun ports in the car....
WWII Russian tank crewmen were said to prefer the nagant revolver because it could be fired through the ports of a tank and even better with the sealed cylinder barrel gap it was likely to be a lot quieter to do so. Fact is I have never heard of an armor truck guard firing from inside the vehicle. Most often while there is cash, there are a lot of checks also these days. Happens, but robberies of armor car guards is not so common. Easier to just go and rob a bank that does not have a guard.

Ragsbo
06-27-2018, 12:29 PM
Starting pay is $12 hr. As for gear I know about the pistol, holster and belt requirements. Body armor they better provide or supplement cost with a voucher or its a no go for me.

I'll see about getting more details from my acquaintance who works for them.

They would "advance" you the money to buy it but you would pay for it out of your future pay. They only provided uniforms and those were not the best

DeltaCadet84
06-29-2018, 09:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIkzuXDhCcQ