PDA

View Full Version : DIAGONAL LINES - FIRST PUBLIC TEACHING JUNE 2, 2018

Gabriel Suarez
06-06-2018, 04:21 PM
https://vimeo.com/273795793

Brent Yamamoto
06-06-2018, 04:58 PM
Excellent.

The paint is a great teaching tool. It's been a long time since I bothered taping lines on the dojo floor, I'd forgotten how valuable that is for new people.

jgencinc
06-06-2018, 05:05 PM
Thanks Gabe.
I appreciate all the bits of info you give us here.

Jim Miller
06-06-2018, 05:51 PM
Outstanding, wish I could have been there.

Jim Miller
ISA 6:8

Johnny C!
06-06-2018, 07:11 PM
Another gem.

Thanks for posting this Gabe.

John

Gabriel Suarez
06-06-2018, 07:43 PM
So now when Mr. Chin Skidmark suddenly develops this concept, you will recall its origin.

patriot3386
06-07-2018, 02:14 PM
I haven't done any kata since my martial arts days in high school, but I can't wait to try these out.

Gabe, I know you and your team have plans for additional katas. Will there be a gunfighting kata video for sale eventually? Or perhaps dedicated classes? I'm still saving money up for a Red Dot School slot, and I'm really looking forward to what you guys come up with next...

Brent Yamamoto
06-07-2018, 02:21 PM
There will be a class. Still developing how this will be shared. There may be kata specific classes, and a kata may be shared depending on what the class is (for example, Crashing Elbows would be appropriate for the 0-5” class).

Kata will be available on Vimeo through a paid subscription. Still developing this.

patriot3386
06-07-2018, 02:26 PM
Thanks Brent. Love what you guys are doing.

CDX09
06-07-2018, 03:21 PM
This is interesting. Will this be covered in all the SI small arms courses or will it be specific to FoF, pistol etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brent Yamamoto
06-07-2018, 03:32 PM
I am not sure what Gabe has in mind for rifle and shotgun classes. But I can tell you that the first two kata are easily adapted to long guns.

Some modification is necessary due to the handling characteristics versus the pistol. Footwork requires a little tweaking as well. But fundamentally they are the same thing.

Gabriel Suarez
06-07-2018, 03:36 PM
We have already adapted both first kata to the Stakeout, and a striking kata for that weapon is in development (working name of "crack the coconut").

Mike OTDP
06-07-2018, 04:38 PM
Fascinating. Not only for the concept, but for the process of creating a kata.

psalms23dad
06-11-2018, 06:49 PM
Question. I know a lot of thought and intention went into this so I must ask. When moving to the 5, the body turns clockwise and faces away from the pyramid. Is there is a reason we are not turning counter clockwise? When performing this I'm finding that turning counter clockwise is more fluid and makes the direction change easier as well.
Just looking for clarification is all.

Thanks.

Brent Yamamoto
06-11-2018, 07:10 PM
Counterclockwise is not as direct, leaving you on the X longer. Only for a split second, but split seconds count in this environment.

Of course, I cannot see exactly how you were doing it. If you lead with your left leg, that involves stepping backwards. Sometimes a backward steps necessary but generally we try to avoid that. If you are switching your feet and kicking off with you right, that kind of footwork is covered in Watch your back.

Also, the rearward angles demonstrate two-handed shooting on the 5 oclock, and one-handed shooting on the 7. Your method would result in only performing one-handed shooting. The kata needs to cover both so each can be done when the need presents itself.

Each kata Is designed to teach particular things.

psalms23dad
06-11-2018, 07:33 PM
It's easy from my point of view to not see the depth of wisdom that went into this Kata. But I was certain each step and move has a reason behind it.

Thank you.

Gabriel Suarez
06-11-2018, 08:26 PM
Brent and I have an extensive Karate background. Mine dates back to 1970. We had this concept cooking for about two years.

Its easy to design a complicated and flashy kata that has zero combat value. To design one that is simple is hard.

We will do a pay-to-view video on this soon and there will be free content on what went into develop this concept and apply it as we have.

Brent Yamamoto
06-11-2018, 09:10 PM
Just like weightlifting, kata should develop both sides of the body equally. That is much easier to say than to do. Some kata are perfect mirror images of both sides, but most are not. This is not a bad thing; doing exactly the same thing on both sides can be boring...and people won’t practice that which is boring. Also, kata must have a certain flow, doing exactly the same thing on both sides may be balanced but it doesn’t always “fit”.

Finally, because we have a weapon in our hands, it necessarily makes things different between left and right. Most of us carry on the right...naturally the kata will be different on left and right sides.

I think Gabe’s kata Diagonal Lines is perfectly balanced. The footwork is the same on each side, so there is equal development in each angle of movement. You don’t know which way you will have to move when you’re faced woth a reactive situation, so we need to develop ability in all angles...including those that don’t come natural to us. The hands are doing the same thing big picture wise, but details are different - two-handed vs one-handed, while coordinating with body movement as well as eye focus. Body structure is also built into all of these movements. There is a reason why the body is pointing one way or another, a reason for where the hands are in each set.

I consider Diagonal Lines as the foundation of the Suarez system for reactive movement.

Watch Your Back is a different theme but it builds on the lessons from Diagonal Lines. It is a supplement, incorporating different footwork and movement that give you different options. Both kata are designed to teach solutions to specific scenarios, but the movement patterns are fundamental and can be applied however you want.

Gabriel Suarez
06-11-2018, 10:19 PM
And gunfight training will never be the same again..,

Randy Harris
06-12-2018, 06:21 AM
Question. I know a lot of thought and intention went into this so I must ask. When moving to the 5, the body turns clockwise and faces away from the pyramid. Is there is a reason we are not turning counter clockwise? When performing this I'm finding that turning counter clockwise is more fluid and makes the direction change easier as well.
Just looking for clarification is all.

Thanks.

If you are going to "turn 5 into 7" meaning running the 5 o'clock angle like the 7 o'clock (which is shooting 1 handed for right handers) you really need a lateral right hand step to get you off the x first and THEN pivot on that right foot and turn the left shoulder back and go. Otherwise you are on the X longer than you want to be.

Same applies if right handers are trying to turn 7 into 5 and shoot it over their left shoulder with 2 hands on the gun. They need a hard lateral left step first and then pivot and go otherwise they are lingering on the x longer than they really want to.

Brent Yamamoto
06-12-2018, 07:43 AM
Randy is spot on.

For right-handers, I don’t see any good reason for “turning the 5 into 7”.

However, when it comes to long guns (especially shotguns, or really any gun where the length of pull is too long to easily transfer to the left shoulder), we “turn the 7 into 5”. And that is done exactly as Randy has described: taking a hard lateral step off the X with the left leg before charging on the 7 line.

They handling characteristics of the larger gone next this method smoother and faster.

Gary54
06-13-2018, 07:05 PM
I was there. It was worth the trip from the Midwest.

Gunstore Commando
10-30-2018, 07:15 AM
Kata will be available on Vimeo through a paid subscription. Still developing this.

At risk of busting myself as Not Paying Attention, did this happen yet? If so, how do I get me some? :blushing:

Gabriel Suarez
10-30-2018, 07:35 AM
Not yet. We are working details and timing of the series. Itbwill be a 2019 thing.

Christopher Calhoun
10-30-2018, 07:39 AM
Thoughts on doing an old school photo book like the Keith Yates book back in the day?

Brent Yamamoto
10-30-2018, 08:04 AM
We have started work on a book about the concepts and principles. But it is not a picture book to learn the kata. That is for class and video.

Gabriel Suarez
10-30-2018, 09:35 AM
The way the info will be presented is as follows

1). A concepts and strategy book describing the "why" of what we are doing in totality.

2). A downloadable "pay to see" video series depicting the movements in kata form, in drills and in full speed applications.

3). Concept specific training courses like the one we presented last month (see student's comments).

Christopher Calhoun
10-30-2018, 10:02 AM
I feel like both a book and a video service would benefit in a way such as reference points or refreshers such for kata in karate.

Brent Yamamoto
10-30-2018, 10:06 AM
Working on it as we speak.

Ted Demosthenes
10-31-2018, 09:39 PM
The way the info will be presented is as follows

1). A concepts and strategy book describing the "why" of what we are doing in totality.

2). A downloadable "pay to see" video series depicting the movements in kata form, in drills and in full speed applications.

3). Concept specific training courses like the one we presented last month (see student's comments).

Iím in to support all three above; especially editing #1 and developing/editing #3.