PDA

View Full Version : How do you securely store your Mossberg Shockwave or Tac-14 in the car?

sfc
04-30-2018, 10:39 AM
Everyone is saying what a great "truck gun" this style of shotgun is... but how do you secure it so if you're in an accident it's not flying around the car, but also have it concealed so you can get in and out of the car without having to hide it every time?

What solutions have you come up with?

Gabriel Suarez
04-30-2018, 10:55 AM

This is a Stakeout. Push it down a bit and throw a baseball hat on it.

sfc
04-30-2018, 11:01 AM
So maybe I'm posting in the wrong spot. I was wondering about travel and/or everyday in the car. Should I post somewhere else?

Greg Nichols
04-30-2018, 11:13 AM
So maybe I'm posting in the wrong spot. I was wondering about travel and/or everyday in the car. Should I post somewhere else?

This is how Gabe travel's and stores it everyday in the car. I've been thinking about a 6" PVC tube attached to the rear of the passenger seat like a holster but haven't put too much thought into it.

Gabriel Suarez
04-30-2018, 11:17 AM

What am I missing? Stuff it between the console and the seat, put a hat on the grip.

Gabriel Suarez
04-30-2018, 11:18 AM
If that is too much, get a UKE bag or something similar and keep it in there. If that is still too much put it in the trunk.

sfc
04-30-2018, 11:18 AM
Alright. Got it. So no concerns about that staying in place if in an accident?

Gabriel Suarez
04-30-2018, 11:28 AM
Well...I don't go out of my way to get into accidents, and the last time my vehicle hit anyone it was intentional and even then, I don't recall things flying all over the cab. If you rolled the vehicle maybe it would be more of a concern, I don't know...it just isn't that much of a worry to me, but maybe I don't know enough about the issue.

Johnny C!
04-30-2018, 11:36 AM
I transport my Tac-14 in a tripod bag. It stays
in the bag and lays on the floor next to the driver's
seat in my E350 Ford van, which has become my
daily driver. I will unzip the bag most of the way,
so I can grab the muzzle end if/when I need to
deploy it.

In the advent of me rear ending someone, with
enough force, I can see it sliding past the base
of my engine cover toward the pedals, but that
is not something I am concerned about. It's still
retrievable if that were to happen.

sfc
04-30-2018, 11:48 AM
Cool. I have a family with 7 children (one more on the way) so I'm always thinking about stuff flying around if there was an accident.

m48shooter
04-30-2018, 12:45 PM
you can easily run a cable tie thru the open action and secure it under a seat to hardware if security with children about is a issue. I generally use a compartment of some type, depending on the vehicle.

steve_k
04-30-2018, 01:31 PM
When I use to work on FBI cars many years ago, they had (interior) roof mounted shotguns that were covered by piece of velcroed material that matched the color of the headliner. At a quick glance it wasn't too noticeable unless the panel was poorly attached.

H60DoorGunner
04-30-2018, 01:59 PM
You're in TN. Unless I misunderstand TN gun laws, you can just throw a T-shirt over it and call it a day.

Throw a T-shirt or beach towel over it and call it a day! Unless you ride around getting into accidents all the time, that should be fine. If you do ride around getting into wrecks all the time, maybe you shouldn't be carrying a gun at all \_(ツ)_/

Redneck Zen
04-30-2018, 07:49 PM
Cool. I have a family with 7 children (one more on the way) so I'm always thinking about stuff flying around if there was an accident.

With that many kids about, I don't know if I'd have many weapons laying about loose and accessible, especially in a vehicle -- an not because of the possibility of it "flying around." But that's just me. In my experience rugrats are curious, surprisingly resourceful and have absolutely no concept of consequences for their actions. I don't care how old they are -- well, until at least driver's license age and even that's a crapshoot.

I had only one kid back in the day and I carried an H&K P7 when he was little; I hadn't gotten around to that new-fangled plastic gun yet. I liked the P7 mainly because if I did screw up and leave it out, or if the little booger pulled a Houdini on me and gamed the system -- which he often did in other areas of security -- the likelihood of him "accidentally" firing my pistol were nil. I used to let him try and jack the slide of the P7 and squeeze cock it every once in a while, just to test his abilities. He couldn't do either until he was well into grade school, about seven, I think. Of course, we talked safety and I took him out to shoot and lectured him every time, but he was a kid and kids do stupid shit.

As an example of what little kids can do, when my son was three or four, I watched him get my keys, go out to the truck, unlock it, climb up in it, put in the key and try to start it. Fortunately it was a manual and I had it in first gear and the emergency brake was on. But I have no doubt if he could have reached the clutch -- or formed an alliance with little booger from across the street -- he could have gotten it out of the driveway.

Both of those "little boogers" now are in the employ of Uncle Sam, one flying Ospreys for the USAF and AFSOC and the other a UH-60 crewchief.

Anywho, around a bunch of kids, I'd keep my weapon on my body or locked up. Again, that's just me. Your mileage may vary. They're your kids and you know them way better than I do.

chad newton
04-30-2018, 09:38 PM
Personally I like the way Gabe carries it, it can be used if need be.

sfc
05-01-2018, 05:09 AM
When I use to work on FBI cars many years ago, they had (interior) roof mounted shotguns that were covered by piece of velcroed material that matched the color of the headliner. At a quick glance it wasn't too noticeable unless the panel was poorly attached.

I like that idea. But I'll admit that Gabe's is simple.

sfc
05-01-2018, 05:16 AM
Redneck Zen,

Congrats on your children's success. Sounds like you've got some good kids.

I'm not concerned about leaving a gun in the car with children. My older children down to my younger all understand weapons and are respectful and good kids and the older ones (19, 17, 14) help keep the younger ones in check, if I'm not around. So either I'll have an adult child, or wife in the car when I'm not in the car, or the gun will be coming with me when I get to the destination.

sfc
05-01-2018, 05:22 AM
You're in TN. Unless I misunderstand TN gun laws, you can just throw a T-shirt over it and call it a day.

Throw a T-shirt or beach towel over it and call it a day! Unless you ride around getting into accidents all the time, that should be fine. If you do ride around getting into wrecks all the time, maybe you shouldn't be carrying a gun at all \_(ツ)_/

Thankfully I haven't been in an accident in 25 years. And Lord willing, I won't be in one in the future. But if accidents were predictable, you'd be an idiot to drive to that location. To that point, if I do get in an accident, it will be bad enough to have my children in the car... I don't want all the airbags and safety equipment I pay to have in the cars I drive be defeated by flying heavy metal objects. But you're post made me laugh.

EDELWEISS
05-01-2018, 05:44 AM
There ARE vehicle safes large enough for a Tac14, that take up little room in the trunk or the back of a SUV, and are relatively inexpensive; V-Line is one brand that I have used. The safes can be bolted down OR just locked in place with bike/trigger style cable locks.

Tripod bags are great, but tripod bags that look like oxygen bags are better...

sfc
05-01-2018, 05:46 AM
I like that... good idea.

Gabriel Suarez
05-01-2018, 07:19 AM
And Oxygen bags never get stolen...but tripods and ukuleles always fetch such a hugh price from thieves,

chad newton
05-01-2018, 09:04 AM
I look at a shockwave as throwaway anyways:)

Gabriel Suarez
05-01-2018, 09:06 AM
A shockwave IS a throw away...but an 870...specially a Stakeout...is a keeper.

Redneck Zen
05-01-2018, 01:32 PM
Redneck Zen,

Congrats on your children's success. Sounds like you've got some good kids.

I'm not concerned about leaving a gun in the car with children. My older children down to my younger all understand weapons and are respectful and good kids and the older ones (19, 17, 14) help keep the younger ones in check, if I'm not around. So either I'll have an adult child, or wife in the car when I'm not in the car, or the gun will be coming with me when I get to the destination.

Roger. Sounds like a plan. :thumbup: I like to assume everyone here is an adult, but sometimes I feel the overwhelming need to be Captain Obvious -- despite being a retired NCO. :rolleyes1:

P.S. I didn't have a gun safe until my kid started having his knuckle-headed friends over. Until then I had a hardened closet -- solid door, pinned hinges, deadbolt locks -- that served quite well. When I saw that I was going to have other people's teenagers in the house, I made the investment.