PDA

View Full Version : h&j usp feedway stoppage

Praetorianus
02-16-2004, 12:06 PM
I'd like to buy a USP compact for self defense and I cant find answer to this question:

Is it possible on a USP to clear a feedway stoppage the same way you do on Glocks by simply pressing the magazine release button as you rack the slide three to four times?

(By feedway stoppage I intend a situation in which two rounds are apparently competing for the chamber at the same time: the spent case from the last fired round and the new round trying to feed into the chamber.)
Did anyone who own a usp ever had such a malfunction?

It might look unimportant but clearing 'the Glock way' is definitely faster then the usual procedure in which you have to lock the slide back, strip out the mag and so on.

Thanks in advance

Praetorianus

HKinPA
02-16-2004, 01:29 PM
I own a fullsize .45 USP now, and used to have a fullsized .40 USP as a duty weapon. I have shot both guns during the basic NRA type pistol qualifications my dept. ran at the time.

They called feedway stoppages "double feeds" but the remedy was the same.

By dropping the magazine, the fresh round that was fighting for position in the chamber was removed, and the racking of the slide cleared the old round.

I never noticed a problem during qualifying and only had it happen one other time while shooting at the range. Each time, the methods used, worked.

BE SAFE OUT THERE

Sam Spade
02-16-2004, 01:45 PM
Yes, you can clear the stoppage that way.

In my personal opinion, the USP is garbage. (Sorry, just an opinion based on teaching 1000 cops carrying the thing for about 7 years.)

That said, I can't recall ever seeing a real double feed on the range, and no one had any trouble clearing the ones we set up for training. If it fits your needs otherwise, don't worry about this aspect.

Joe56
02-16-2004, 04:04 PM
Sam, what kind of problems did you see with the USP?

Sam Spade
02-17-2004, 04:50 AM
Magazine springs that set were a huge problem. It got to where I carried a dozen new ones in my car to pass out at quals and training. Feed lips that spread. Internal springs that rusted. Bad design on magazine release (it toggles down, rather than pushing in), with activation under recoil or against clothing. The little plate that determines the variant (don't ask me what it's called) working free. Widespread light primer hits towards the end of its service life. Don't even start me on the light.

Customer service wasn't appropriate for the agency: "Hi, we'd like 3000 roll pins so we can detail the guns." "Sorry, ain't got that many." And, "Well, you're getting all those light primer strikes because you didn't detail the guns and replace the springs." Huh? You know how few rounds the average cop fires?

Failure Drill shot far more rounds through his than I. That's becuase I was able to dump mine and go to a Glock. He can add more to the list, I'm sure.

Failure Drill
02-18-2004, 10:05 PM
Easy sam, it wasn't the USP that was garbage it was HK and their crappy customer service. Take any pistol with over 15000 rounds through it without pulling it apart for a good detailing and your bound to run into problems. No one detailed the weapons on our dept for nearly 8 years. Desert dust, monsoon rain, low bid practice ammo....i'd say the gun ran like a champ all things considered. In my opinion the USP is a good weapon, accurate as hell. Sam you were biased from the get go because the grip is like a 2x4 and you've been cursed with homer simpson hands, don't blame the gun, blame the blood line. ;) As far as the mag release I feel it was superior to the glock standard release in that you didn't need to twist the gun in your hand in any way to activate it. I can say I've experienced more problems in one year of carrying the glock 35 than 8 yrs with a USP .40. I've already had two parts replaced and been given new mags and I'm still having an all too often feeding problem where the bullet just hangs up with the nose on the feed ramp. I agree the downside to the USP is the double/single trigger pull which is very difficult to teach to newbies. But if you train with your USP I think you will be happy with it. -FD

ps. sam it's a "DETENT".

Sam Spade
02-19-2004, 09:40 AM
Medic! :)

Kilroy
02-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Early USP had night sights that were visible from both ends. Then the control plate was not consistent, so one never knew what they might get (decocked or on safe).

Next came a USP45 that was very accurate. On fast draws it would occasionally eject the magazine. That was annoying. I carried it quite a bit cocked and locked, only to have quite a bit of shale dirt enter the inside of the gun through that very thoughtful entry hole inside the left side of the hammer cut out.

I didn't get the high round count, just carried it a lot. I was thankful I did not have to contend with HK customer service, having experienced it with Benellis and sub guns.

InTheBlack
02-26-2004, 10:58 PM
So what parts should I collect now for my USP Compact 45, before I actually need them? What parts get ruined when removing them- roll pins!?

And where is the right place to get them from?

Mikul
09-21-2004, 07:01 AM
I have had a double-feed on my USP (don't shoot while moving and withdraw your gun before the slide recoils). I dropped the mag, racked the slide and put the mag back in. All was well.

Wow! I've never heard anyone call the USP's garbage. My USP eats anything. I have had exactly one jam that I can't blame on me or my ammo. Two parts have broken: the old-style recoil spring washer broke, but the gun never failed to operate, and the firing pin broke which locked up the action real good. That has been my experience over 35,000 rounds. I've detail stripped the gun exactly ONCE. Now I just spray brake cleaner into the deepest, darkest reaches and let the black goo spill out. It works like a charm.

I thought that those two parts failures were bad until I saw what people with Springfields, Kimbers, Smiths, Wilsons, and others go through. I like my H&K more every day.

DaveJames
09-21-2004, 02:19 PM
Easy way to solve the problem,, sell that plastic crap and buy a real pistol

SIG's RULE :D :D :D

MTS
09-21-2004, 04:49 PM
Easy way to solve the problem,, sell that plastic crap and buy a real pistol
SIG's RULE :D :D :DIs this some of the "plastic crap" you were refering to?:rolleyes:

http://www.sigarms.com/apps/cmt/img/sp2009-large.jpg

DaveJames
09-22-2004, 06:46 AM
:D :D :D

Tex
09-23-2004, 11:13 AM
I happen to enjoy my sp2340 very much thank you.