PDA

View Full Version : Two New Six Shooters!

DogDoc
04-19-2018, 12:28 PM
With all the recent talk about six shooters, I decided I'd better add a few to the corral. They're a little heavier than the old Ruger Security Six I inherited from my father-in-law but I think they'll still do the job

The top one is a regular Tac-14 gussied up a bit with a SI mag extension, SI foldable brace and SI barrel porting. It has the original bead site...sort of a Pointman wannabe.

The bottom one is the Stakeout Amphibian with slug sites and all the SI bells and whistles.

I wanted to compare the differences between the Tac-14 and the Stakeout and see what all the fuss was about with the NP3 and internal modifications etc... I also wanted to compare the brace to the braceless for a guy that isn't built like Dorkface or Nichols.

I'll try to get out to the desert this Saturday and try them out. I'm interested to see how they perform in the hands of a mere mortal. :0)

Bubba
04-19-2018, 04:56 PM
Nice six shooters Doc

WOLF220
04-19-2018, 04:59 PM
Those are some serious looking weapons!

Johnny C!
04-19-2018, 06:44 PM
Doc,
I am on the fence to brace or not, so
I have one of each, as well. I like the
handiness of the birds head grip, but
I suppose I'll leave the brace kit in
place on #2. I keep one or the other
in my car, where ever I go. I can't
live without them now.

The short one rides in a tripod bag
& the braced one carries very well
in the Uke bag from SI.

steve_k
04-19-2018, 07:16 PM
Hmmmm. Only one state over? Might have to come try those beasts out!

Air Pirate
04-19-2018, 08:22 PM
Congrats, Doc! You’ll fall in love with that Stakeout from the first shot! ...and if you can get to the SI shotgun class like last week, you’ll find yourself even more in love...kind’ve like a Stakeout honeymoon. Haha

On a side note, that SI upper that moved to AZ to make room for the Stakeout is now a complete project. =)

DogDoc
04-22-2018, 08:16 AM
So, I got out to do a little shooting with these Saturday. Took the Stakeout, the Pointman-wannabe and a regular 870 Tactical (I wanted to compare the recoil of the Pointman with the regular shotgun).

For starters let me say by way of disclaimer that I am not a shotgun guy. I rarely shoot them and when I do it's only to kill a pheasant. Let me also say that based on the fact that I have such limited experience with the platform my opinion does not and should not carry the same weight as the opinions of those more qualified to assess and opine about these tools.

That said, it may be that the thoughts of a regular guy coming to the Stakeout as a tactical shotgun novice may be useful to others in the same boat who may be deciding whether or not they should get one.

The Stakeout:

So, speaking of being a regular guy...physically I am one. Though I spent most of every day for twenty years wrassling cows and horses as a large-animal veterinarian, I'm not a guy that hangs out at the gym pumping iron and bulking up. My upper body strength is typical for those that do or have done real work for a living but is not typical of those that lift weights to build upper body strength. Like I said...regular guy. I was interested to see how I managed with the Stakeout. I agree with Gabe that this weapon isn't for sissies. A timid or physically weak individual would struggle with it. That said, as a mere mortal unencumbered by the muscle mass of guys like DorkFace or Greg, I was able to make it behave. In fact, I found it more pleasant to shoot than either the full-size 870 or the Pointman. It demands some respect, but using the push/pull technique Gabe describes tamed it tolerably.

The Stakeout is really handy and nimble for what it is. I can see that this would be a terrific tool to have in the truck. Mine has the rifle/slug sights. I really liked these a lot and had no trouble making hits. They are vastly better than the bead sight and are a "must have" in my opinion. Mine has an RMR Plate as well. I have an RMR inbound which I think will make things even nicer and extend the range of the gun. But I think I could be very happy for most realistic shooting with just the rifle sights. I'm sure I wouldn't be happy with just the bead.

The Pointman

The Pointman recoil was a little sharper than the full-size shotgun. I also noticed that the brace on the Pointman put the line of sight a little high in relation to the bead sight and required a pretty tight cheek weld to use the bead well. The Pointman would really benefit from a set of slug sights and/or an RMR to remedy this.

Gabe and others have given good info on loadings suitable for these weapons. I shot #4 shot and 00 Buck. The #4 was nicer (as one would expect) but the 00 wasn't a deal breaker. Reduced-recoil loads would be better than full-power stuff.

The SI improvements on the Stakeout (mine is an Amphibian) over the standard Tac-14 were noticeable and are worth the money. You can read what those are Here. (https://suarezinternational.com/suarez-tac-14-870-amphibian-12-gauge-14-barrel/)

EDELWEISS
04-22-2018, 01:31 PM
Doc, I noticed that there are two types of Pointman adaptors for sale at SI. One is the type you have with the "buffer tube" straight/in line with the gun and the other has the tube slightly angled down. When I asked about the differences before I got a response like "Both are good, choose the one you like". I had hoped to get the kind of info you just posted (needing a tight cheek hold with a bead sight) if using a "straight" tube set up......so I'm wondering if YOU think an angled tube would solve or at least help to solve the "tight cheek weld" issue with a bead sight gun?

DogDoc
04-22-2018, 03:21 PM
I suppose it would. Rifle sights would do it too. I think the rifle sights are a must have on these guns in either configuration.

EDELWEISS
04-23-2018, 05:30 AM
Thanks Doc, at last I finally got a response to that question, and one that makes sense too.

On another note I find it amusing and enlightening how the context and tactics and equipment has morphed over my years at WT. When I started, the AK was everything, then it was PCCs, and then ARs, along that path shotguns were given some attention; but the idea of any sight except a bead was shunned, BTW so were PG shotguns. Now with the release of a new(or is it old) concept weapon, in the form of the Tac-14, views (and sights) are changing.

I love it, always learning and always looking to see if the guy behind the curtain is the Great Oz....

DogDoc
04-23-2018, 07:23 AM
Thanks Doc, at last I finally got a response to that question, and one that makes sense too.

Don't get too excited, as I said in post #7, I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to shotguns. You should probably wait until someone with some real credibility comes along and confirms or refutes as needed.

On another note I find it amusing and enlightening how the context and tactics and equipment has morphed over my years at WT. When I started, the AK was everything, then it was PCCs, and then ARs, along that path shotguns were given some attention; but the idea of any sight except a bead was shunned, BTW so were PG shotguns. Now with the release of a new(or is it old) concept weapon, in the form of the Tac-14, views (and sights) are changing.

I love it, always learning and always looking to see if the guy behind the curtain is the Great Oz....
In my experience, WT has always been about the Indian not the arrow. Things that hold us back are jettisoned, things that propel us forward are embraced. One can be nostalgic about toys, but real tools and tactics require evaluation and evolution on a pretty regular basis. The "six shooter" my grandfather used to protect his own is a very different animal than the one I'll be using.