PDA

View Full Version : Which new truck

mfox497
04-14-2018, 11:54 AM
So I am looking into buying a new truck. I have always been a full size truck fan, Ford specifically. I currently own a 2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x4. Looking at a new version of this with the 5.0 or possibly a Toyota Tacoma. Never owned a smaller truck but I was impressed with the new Tacomas when I sat in one.

I am concerned I will miss the power of the full size Ford over the Tacoma. I don't tow but do haul a dirt bike around and camp with the family out of the truck. Any suggestions from those who came from a full size truck into a smaller Tacoma? Any problems with power getting onto the freeway? Thanks in advance for the advice.

jaowens
04-14-2018, 03:02 PM
Assuming you don't get the absolutely stripped access cab model you will not have any problems with acceleration, although it does have a different power band than you are used to. ECT power setting can help offset that to some degree. Depending on location, if you want to test a Tacoma without any pressure I could be talked into a Sunday range trip when the dealership is closed.

mfox497
04-14-2018, 03:27 PM
I was looking at the TRD model, not sure on manual vs automatic. I have a take home vehicle for work so not much commuting in my personal vehicle. Mainly bi annual cross country trips and local dirt roads into the mountains for camping/motorcycle. Not sure where you live jaowens. I am in Moab, Utah and no I will never own another jeep again.

jaowens
04-14-2018, 03:38 PM
Kansas is a bit far away lol. TRD Off Road I assume, or Sport? Not a big fan of manual transmissions other than for sport cars personally, but if that's your thing I wont gainsay you for sure. I think you will find the Crawl control and multi terrain select pretty useful depending on how much off-roading you do. I may be a bit biased, but I much prefer the Tacoma to any Ford product, and if you wanted full sized you could always go with a crewcab Tundra.

WOLF220
04-14-2018, 05:09 PM
I second the Toyota over the Ford. Iíd never buy a ford just based on them using aluminum for their body panels. If you do any off roading at all, Ford will be the last choice Iíd be looking at. The Tacoma will haul your bike around like it wasnít even there. I just bought my first Toyota as I was a Dodge/mopar guy my whole life. Never owned anything else. Well Iím here to tell you my Ď17 tundra is way more truck than any ram Iíve ever owned. Granted Iíve only owned half ton trucks. IMO the tundra is the only true half ton truck left on the market. The Chevy ford and ram half ton are just passenger vehicles with beds. Tundra has the biggest ring and pinion gears biggest brakes and the heaviest duty front end parts in the half ton class. You wonít be disappointed with the taco if you can deal with a smaller truck. Me personally I looked at the tacos but being used to full sized trucks they were too small for my liking. But they are very capable. It was just personal taste that I didnít like the interior space compared to a full size truck.

jesselp
04-14-2018, 05:37 PM
I’m on my second Tacoma, and have put in significant third-world miles in the non-USA Hilux (drove all over Nicaragua in a borrowed diesel Hilux on several occasions.) Love the trucks, but have never owned a full-sized so can’t give you a comparison.

chad newton
04-14-2018, 06:10 PM
If you like fords, stick with fords. All new trucks have issues, you buy new for a warrantee.

mfox497
04-15-2018, 07:39 AM
Alright I am heading to the dealerships this week to test a tacoma and a Ford. I am also now aware of the possibility of the Ford Ranger making a comeback. I may just keep what I have and wait for the Ranger.

LawDog
04-15-2018, 11:15 AM
My first truck was an F-150. My favorite was an '83 Bronco with a 351 Windsor. I used to joke that the Bronco could climb a telephone pole but it couldn't pass a gas station.

The most practical work truck I ever owned was a Dodge Dakota. It had a strong-enough engine, unless you were towing really heavy stuff. The bed was a good size. There was little to love about the truck, but if I had been selecting a fleet vehicle for a company it would have been a strong contender.

I'm now on my second Tacoma. My first was an Access Cab with a 6.5' bed. I now have the Quad Cab with a 5' bed. The 6.5' bed was much more practical. The bed is still too narrow. The Quad Cab is much better if you have adults back there. I seldom do, and now think the increase in cab size was probably unnecessary for me. The Access Cab held just as much 'stuff' as the Quad Cab. The truck that I think I really want is an old (early 2000s) Tundra. That had a real truck bed, but lacked the outrageously enormous cabin and the fuel-swilling engine. The Tacoma is peppy and comfortable. It will tow more than a truck its size should. The great weakness is the bed. It's just too small. Every time I pick up a sheet of plywood, I hate the truck and wish I'd bought a full-size. But that happens two or three times a year. Every time I fill the gas tank, I remember why I bought the smaller truck. It's also very nimble on both road and trails. I don't do any serious off-roading, but we have a few "roads" in Alaska that don't show up on maps and are overgrown with vegetation. The Tacoma wends its way down those narrows much better than a larger truck.

I would recommend a Tacoma to most people. But if you really use the bed of a truck for work, it will leave you grumbling. And the 5' bed is ridiculously frustrating. Get a >6' bed. If you have small kids, the Access Cab is okay. If you have adult-sized passengers, the Access Cab is too small.

For modest off-road ability, the TRD Off-Road package is great. The 4WD system in the Tacoma has more flex in it than the Ford/Chevy/Dodge trucks, so it allows me to to stay in 4x4 at times when others would have to shift back into 4x2. In an area with rough winter weather, this is an advantage. The locking rear differential (electric) is great. Someone who wants serious off-road capability should just get the standard set-up and modify it themselves. That person will want air lockers front and rear, and a suspension set-up that doesn't come from a major factory.

IANative
04-15-2018, 06:09 PM
If you like fords, stick with fords. All new trucks have issues, you buy new for a warrantee.

This ^^^, and what LawDog said.

If you want a full-size truck, get the F150. If you want a smaller truck, get the Tacoma. They are both excellent examples, perhaps the top, of their respective classes. Just don't step down to the Tacoma expecting it to be everything your 5.0 F150 is. It won't be. But it'll be different.

Craig R
04-15-2018, 06:13 PM
I sold my Toyota truck with 375,00 miles on it. My friend still has it now and it's at 560,000 with a different bed and it's third clutch. I used this thing hard when I had it. The only thing I'll say about a Toyota truck is make certain you love the color because you'll have it a long time.

burnin_brass
04-15-2018, 06:21 PM
Iíve been happy with my Ď14 CrewMax Tundra. I like the spacious interior, but wish the bed was longer. The 5.7 has good power but is thirsty. I continue to lust after a diesel Ram 3500 but for different reasons (non-towing, more overland) a lifted Tacoma catches my eye.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180416/d3b8fe197a5786289203972d7f1b0f06.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve_k
04-15-2018, 06:39 PM
Tough call. Had a 92 GMC Z71 for about 12 years and really liked it. Also had an 80 and 83 Toyota 4x4’s that we’re great. These days I am liking the Raptor, but not the price tag. But also thinking a Wrangler 4 door. The Tundra and Tacoma seem pretty nice, especially in the crew cab configurations.

My first Toyota.

ZeroTA
04-16-2018, 08:23 AM
They're good trucks but I know if I got a Tacoma I'd wish I had a full size.

Other than that, if you're going to haul anything at all, trailer, boat, etc, you want a V8. The V6 moves the truck around just fine, it'll haul a load in the bed just fine, but pulling a trailer you notice the different power curve.

Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan...if you're trading it in before 100,000 miles, pick the one you like best. In my work fleet, and I admit we don't really keep up with maintenance besides oil changes, Chevy's have lasted about 200,000 miles, while Ford trannies haven't lasted past 150k. This is hauling material daily and lots of short runs from job to job.

coastalcop
04-16-2018, 12:43 PM
My .02.

Once they got the frame rail issue fixed in the Taco, maintained it will outlast almost anything (ive seen predecessor 20r 22re engines going easily 300k) BUT hauling will be problematic beyond a dualsport motorcycle or two ( ive hauled two KLR650s in the bed of one, loading was a stone bitch but it pulled them just fine), once you add a boat or trailer you will feel the difference.

Of the F150s, I prefer the 6spd auto transmission and the V8 (couldnt find a manual) . Lots of turbo issues with the ecoboost and a series of recalls on the 10spd tranny (I also hate the auto off feature). I know the bigger eco (3.5/3.7) states it has more power/torque MPG than the 5.0, BUT loaded with gear its a wash, and the added complexity of turbos just begs for problems out in the sticks. We just towed a turbo diesel back from the sticks 100 miles out of cell range (sat phones are a great purchase BTW). My 17 F150 5.0 SCREW has been nothing but a joy to drive and has enough power to do anything I ask of it, couple that with an added 125k factory B2B warranty and some load leveler bags, then nothing but smooth sailing. The extended range tank (36gallon) gives you plenty of push water when you're out and about.

H60DoorGunner
04-16-2018, 01:08 PM
The Tacoma is a great truck, but as Lawdog said, if you want to use it for more than moderate off road stuff... buy the base model and upgrade it yourself.

The Tacoma has a good power to weight ratio, but you'll feel a couple bikes in the back. If you want the Toyota pickup durability and longevity, but with more power, I would take a serious look at the Tundra. Toyota has really nailed down their V8 game in the last 10 years.

ericb
04-16-2018, 01:46 PM
I have a Tacoma with a 3" Lift. I chose that because I only do light hauling and dirtbike transport and I needed a truck that would fit out here in washes, caynons, and have a short wheel base and was not too wide. The Tundra did not fit that bill for me. Neither do most of the full sized trucks ( offroad wise)

I also have a ford f250 for heavy duty hauling but that doesnt go offroad much.

I cannot say enough good things about the Tacoma.

Invisible_Man
04-16-2018, 07:59 PM
I'm a big guy so I am much more comfortable in a full-size than a mid-size truck or SUV. Don't get me wrong I love the Tacoma and 4Runner but my 2017 Tundra is something else entirely. Fantastic engine but that 5.7 is indeed thirsty. I've got the Quad Cab which is the most spacious of any of the fullsize quad cabs. I really like how the F-150 looks and drives but them using aluminum is just a big NO from me in terms of longevity.

Take a Tundra for a drive, I think you'll really like em and end of coming home with it like I did.

EseLoco918
04-17-2018, 11:46 AM
My vote is Tundra. I've had this '17 for over a year. It's thirsty but still gets better mileage than my last truck. My only complaint is lack of storage space. I ordered a bed cover, going to put a truck box together to store straps and things back there. The back seat fits full gown men with rifles with room to spare. So hunting or hauling the kids around is easy.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BsgCJCPoS8Vd2aBz2https://photos.app.goo.gl/BsgCJCPoS8Vd2aBz255494

Texican_gal
04-17-2018, 12:31 PM
Hey, just an aside here: do these trucks still have an accelerator cable, or are they "drive-by-wire"? Many modern cars replace the accelerator cable with electronics.

H60DoorGunner
04-17-2018, 02:41 PM
Hey, just an aside here: do these trucks still have an accelerator cable, or are they "drive-by-wire"? Many modern cars replace the accelerator cable with electronics.

There are no new cars sold in the US from the factory with an accelerator cable. In 2008, CAN BUS became the standard and has steadily expanded to control nearly everything in a vehicle. It's all computer modules and networks these days.

MacDuff
04-17-2018, 03:23 PM
I have a 2017 Tacoma 2.7 for commuting. My wife has 2017 F150 for towing our camper. Both good vehicles for our purposes.

PS. The 3.5 Ecoboost has amazing power!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

golucky
04-17-2018, 03:45 PM
My 2008 F150 lariat V8 has been very good, even did well through Hurricane Harvey. Only wished it was 4x4 and alittle less thirsty. I just test drove this last Saturday the Toyota Tacoma TRD sport , 4Runner , & Lexus 460 (all have 4x4 capability & power ) While all are reliable , the least favorite was the Tacoma based on ride (wife almost ate her lunch twice) and the smaller cabin & bed. The 4Runner was the middle road but the Lexus 460 with the ride, amenities, & V8 was our favorite. I would also look into the Tundra for reasons as stated previously. Heck, there’s a story about a Tundra with a million miles

Texican_gal
04-17-2018, 05:02 PM
There are no new cars sold in the US from the factory with an accelerator cable. In 2008, CAN BUS became the standard and has steadily expanded to control nearly everything in a vehicle. It's all computer modules and networks these days.

UGH! Thanks for telling me – I did try to look stuff up and I couldn't verify anything! Guess I'll be keeping my "cable" vehicle.

H60DoorGunner
04-17-2018, 05:34 PM
UGH! Thanks for telling me – I did try to look stuff up and I couldn't verify anything! Guess I'll be keeping my "cable" vehicle.

I like building and driving old cars. But honestly, newer cars are easier to diagnose problems on and fix.

The problem with older vehicles, is that parts get more and more scarce every year. My current project is a '78 FJ40 Land Cruiser. I rebuilt the motor and transmission with kits, but all the little odds and ends, like switches and electronic things, I have to rebuild by ordering the individual components on the internet and putting it all together by hand.... like hand winding coils etc.. There aren't even many mechanics anymore who *will* work on OBD-1 cars, never mind a carbuerated vehicle.

My point, is that unless you're a dedicated motor and gear head like me, and you love combing junk yards and classifieds for those hard go get parts, you're better off buying a new car.

glockednlocked
04-17-2018, 05:40 PM
My wife loves her Lexus 460
And I have driven it in a few places that proved to me it is more than a mall crawler.
We have had great luck with several Toyota/Lexus models.
I am strongly considering buying on of the high trim tundras as a weekend vehicle that could slip into the office on challenging weather days.

Texican_gal
04-17-2018, 05:58 PM
I like building and driving old cars. But honestly, newer cars are easier to diagnose problems on and fix.

The problem with older vehicles, is that parts get more and more scarce every year. My current project is a '78 FJ40 Land Cruiser. I rebuilt the motor and transmission with kits, but all the little odds and ends, like switches and electronic things, I have to rebuild by ordering the individual components on the internet and putting it all together by hand.... like hand winding coils etc.. There aren't even many mechanics anymore who *will* work on OBD-1 cars, never mind a carbuerated vehicle.

My point, is that unless you're a dedicated motor and gear head like me, and you love combing junk yards and classifieds for those hard go get parts, you're better off buying a new car.

That was my hobby when I had a 911. It was fun. I'm not a mechanic, but I did some little stuff (and changed my seats, ha!). I DON'T want a computer pedal for my gas, brake, steering. Here's my favorite quote about "drive-by-wire" ....

"Drive-by-wire is the devil .... No real gearhead would put an electric throttle on a car. Decisions like this come from people who should be designing toaster ovens (where they can replace the good ol' dial with a 27 feature digital whiz-bang and the only consequence is burnt waffles)."

Late edit: the good thing about iconic vehicles like Porsche, Jeep, etc. is that the aftermarket WILL continue to recreate parts!

UNO
04-17-2018, 06:08 PM
I sold my Toyota truck with 375,00 miles on it. My friend still has it now and it's at 560,000 with a different bed and it's third clutch. I used this thing hard when I had it. The only thing I'll say about a Toyota truck is make certain you love the color because you'll have it a long time.

This. I've done the American vehicle thing (Mustang, Corvette, Trans Am, so forth), and my last acquisition was a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee with HEMI and QD2. I loved it, but it was a total POS. Always in the shop with electrical, or rotten suspension components, or leaking transmission, or something. I got rid of it at 93K miles and got into a Mazda CX5. It has avoided the shop and the AWD has been just as competent on ice and snow. At this point, if JDM assembled and sourced is an option, I take it. I have nearly 80K miles on my Mazda, and the only thing it's been in the shop for besides oil and tires is environmentally related (concrete chunk damaged body cladding at 70mph, and rear diff got flooded when I was crossing a stream, and I didn't know it. 4000 miles later, I get a service AWD light. Was milk-shake in that diff, and not a single bearing whined. Just finally killed the lock-up solenoid they said. Mazda replaced it for free.

UNO
04-17-2018, 06:13 PM
I have a 2017 Tacoma 2.7 for commuting. My wife has 2017 F150 for towing our camper. Both good vehicles for our purposes.

PS. The 3.5 Ecoboost has amazing power!

How many miles on the 3.5EB? I thought about an Explorer Sport, but have read nothing but tales of woe after about 60K.

MacDuff
04-17-2018, 06:19 PM
How many miles on the 3.5EB? I thought about an Explorer Sport, but have read nothing but tales of woe after about 60K.Turned it in last year at 45,000 miles. It was a lease. No issues.

6 to 8 mpg while towing.

UNO
04-17-2018, 06:26 PM
Turned it in last year at 45,000 miles. It was a lease. No issues.

6 to 8 mpg while towing.

Wow. Towing what? I know my Jeep w/HEMI (slightly more power) was getting 13-14mpg while hauling a U-Haul that was maybe 6x12?

MacDuff
04-17-2018, 06:28 PM
Wow. Towing what? I know my Jeep w/HEMI (slightly more power) was getting 13-14mpg while hauling a U-Haul that was maybe 6x12?26 foot Toy-Hauler at 7,800 lbs.

Mike Heckathorn
04-17-2018, 06:33 PM
How many miles on the 3.5EB? I thought about an Explorer Sport, but have read nothing but tales of woe after about 60K.

Buying anything other than a body on frame truck (or SUV) for towing on a regular basis is dumb. I bought a 2017 Explorer Sport based on the widespread use by law enforcement that literally abuse the vehicles on a regular basis and that the majority have not had serious issues (aside from exhaust venting which may or may not be attributed to improper installation of rear vehicle racks)

UNO
04-17-2018, 07:21 PM
Buying anything other than a body on frame truck (or SUV) for towing on a regular basis is dumb. I bought a 2017 Explorer Sport based on the widespread use by law enforcement that literally abuse the vehicles on a regular basis and that the majority have not had serious issues (aside from exhaust venting which may or may not be attributed to improper installation of rear vehicle racks)

Agreed. I dont tow anything, though. That was a very light trailer and a 1 time deal (moving out of state). My cx5 doesn't even have a hitch, and I'm looking to replace it with the redesigned WRX in 2021 or so, is my plan. I just need awd and at least 4.5" ground clearance and decent mpg. My cx5 gives me 8.5" clearance, and takes 87, and averages about 26mpg for my daily commute while being awd and very reliable. Handling is pretty impressive. Similar to the AMG and some of the bmw M SUVs surprisingly, although 0-60 is a sluggish 7.7s, I can live with it for the 87 octane and decent mileage.

*I worked for a Ford dealer from 2004 to 2005. Then, the f150 was solid. I've heard bad stuff about the EcoBoost and worse about the 6.0td. I dont know anything about their 6.4 or 6.7 or whatever it is, but the 7.3 was handbuilt by magic elves.

captain steinbrenner
04-17-2018, 07:45 PM
No way I would pick a Tacoma over a F150 or any other full size truck.

Mike Heckathorn
04-17-2018, 07:52 PM
Agreed. I dont tow anything, though. That was a very light trailer and a 1 time deal (moving out of state). My cx5 doesn't even have a hitch, and I'm looking to replace it with the redesigned WRX in 2021 or so, is my plan. I just need awd and at least 4.5" ground clearance and decent mpg. My cx5 gives me 8.5" clearance, and takes 87, and averages about 26mpg for my daily commute while being awd and very reliable. Handling is pretty impressive. Similar to the AMG and some of the bmw M SUVs surprisingly, although 0-60 is a sluggish 7.7s, I can live with it for the 87 octane and decent mileage.

*I worked for a Ford dealer from 2004 to 2005. Then, the f150 was solid. I've heard bad stuff about the EcoBoost and worse about the 6.0td. I dont know anything about their 6.4 or 6.7 or whatever it is, but the 7.3 was handbuilt by magic elves.

If you want MPG and 87 octane, the Mazda is the way to go. Iím pretty happy with a full size Crossover, mediocre MPG, premium fuel, and a 5.7sec 0-60

mfox497
04-18-2018, 11:09 AM
After shopping around a bit and trying several brands of trucks I think I will hold off on purchasing a new vehicle. I am going to wait for the new Ford Ranger to come out, if its not what I am looking for I will go with another F-150. I am in no hurry as my current F-150 is still in good shape and runs fine.

In the meantime I will spend my money on a new motorcycle. Speaking of no more cable accelerators, a lot of the new motorcycles are ride by wire. I have ridden a few and see no issues with them other than one KTM that felt more like an on off switch.

coastalcop
04-18-2018, 12:10 PM
After shopping around a bit and trying several brands of trucks I think I will hold off on purchasing a new vehicle. I am going to wait for the new Ford Ranger to come out, if its not what I am looking for I will go with another F-150. I am in no hurry as my current F-150 is still in good shape and runs fine.

In the meantime I will spend my money on a new motorcycle. Speaking of no more cable accelerators, a lot of the new motorcycles are ride by wire. I have ridden a few and see no issues with them other than one KTM that felt more like an on off switch.

with KATOOMS the throttle is ranged as "might die" to "WILL DIE" no setting lower than that ;)

Paper Shredder
04-25-2018, 09:52 PM
I looked at TRD Tundras since the new Raptor is basically non existent and guys are trying to unload 1 year old for above sticker... no thanks.

Then all that lead me down to TRD Tundra with a TRD supercharger kit... supposed to be like $8k or so for 500hp....

I will say though, from a luxury standpoint... the Platinum F150 with massage seats nearly gives Mercedes S class a run for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

searcher 45
04-26-2018, 06:10 AM
Check out the door panels on the Tundra, and think PGO etc.

weenis
04-26-2018, 11:15 AM
I've owned a 2016 Tacoma for a year and a half now and love it. I test drove the F150 and Tundra, but don't really need the V8, or want the larger truck. I don't necessarily need "power", cause I'm not really racing or going places in a hurry, but in all reality, the third gen Tacoma is the "fastest" Tacoma that they have made.

The truck gets me to where I want to go, that includes remote shooting locations in Arizona. I'm not doing crazy trails and such, but decent offroad that requires 4x4, and one time I used the crawl control (which was pretty cool).

As LawDog says below-

I'm now on my second Tacoma. My first was an Access Cab with a 6.5' bed. I now have the Quad Cab with a 5' bed. The 6.5' bed was much more practical. The bed is still too narrow. The Quad Cab is much better if you have adults back there. I seldom do, and now think the increase in cab size was probably unnecessary for me. The Access Cab held just as much 'stuff' as the Quad Cab. The truck that I think I really want is an old (early 2000s) Tundra. That had a real truck bed, but lacked the outrageously enormous cabin and the fuel-swilling engine. The Tacoma is peppy and comfortable. It will tow more than a truck its size should. The great weakness is the bed. It's just too small. Every time I pick up a sheet of plywood, I hate the truck and wish I'd bought a full-size. But that happens two or three times a year. Every time I fill the gas tank, I remember why I bought the smaller truck. It's also very nimble on both road and trails. I don't do any serious off-roading, but we have a few "roads" in Alaska that don't show up on maps and are overgrown with vegetation. The Tacoma wends its way down those narrows much better than a larger truck.

I would recommend a Tacoma to most people. But if you really use the bed of a truck for work, it will leave you grumbling. And the 5' bed is ridiculously frustrating. Get a >6' bed. If you have small kids, the Access Cab is okay. If you have adult-sized passengers, the Access Cab is too small.

For modest off-road ability, the TRD Off-Road package is great. The 4WD system in the Tacoma has more flex in it than the Ford/Chevy/Dodge trucks, so it allows me to to stay in 4x4 at times when others would have to shift back into 4x2. In an area with rough winter weather, this is an advantage. The locking rear differential (electric) is great. Someone who wants serious off-road capability should just get the standard set-up and modify it themselves. That person will want air lockers front and rear, and a suspension set-up that doesn't come from a major factory.
I would agree with the above, but I would add that you can get the double cab ("Quad Cab" as LawDog called it) and a long bed, so the 6' bed.

If you're contemplating the Tacoma, it's kind of a difficult one to find, but I would highly recommend a third gen Tacoma(2016+), Double Cab, Long Bed, TRD Offroad 4x4. My wife and I have 2 kids, and they have plenty of room. The 6' bed is good for hauling things, and if you want/need to, you can comfortably sleep in it, which you can't really do with the 5'.

The 6' bed will easily fit a motorcycle straight in with the tailgate up, it will haul 1000 lbs of flooring, 6 bails of hay/straw, a 500cc quad, pigs, wood, dogs, and that's all I can think of off the top of my head that I've put back there.

ericb
04-26-2018, 11:24 AM
My 2010 tacoma does what I need it to do :) and fits in narrow washes and canyons and has the short wheelbase of my jeeps. I cannot say enough good things about it.

https://preview.ibb.co/kgJNEH/IMG_1707.jpg (https://ibb.co/cEmW8c)

https://image.ibb.co/kBnM8c/brap3.jpg (https://ibb.co/isu18c)

Yeah it can get better gas mileage, but honestly who cares. I drive it, when it needs gas, I fill it up. I don't worry about gas mileage.

https://preview.ibb.co/k6HzuH/IMG_2466.jpg (https://ibb.co/iRyToc)

UNO
04-26-2018, 01:30 PM
Other than last-gen's (<2019) RAV4's crappy "AWD" system, I've never heard of Toyota not being the best option.

ToddC
04-26-2018, 04:53 PM
I looked at TRD Tundras since the new Raptor is basically non existent and guys are trying to unload 1 year old for above sticker... no thanks.

Then all that lead me down to TRD Tundra with a TRD supercharger kit... supposed to be like $8k or so for 500hp....

I will say though, from a luxury standpoint... the Platinum F150 with massage seats nearly gives Mercedes S class a run for the money.

Dealers here are charging $15k over sticker for "availability fee" on Raptors....screw that. I picked up an '18 5.0 F-150 Platinum this week, so far really happy with fit, finish, and power. Agreed, the massage seats are a little over the top but should help keep the XO happy and quiet on road trips. Glad to be back in a Ford after nearly 20 years of GM delusion.

LawDog
04-26-2018, 05:44 PM
Dealers here are charging $15k over sticker for "availability fee" on Raptors....screw that.Wow. For $15k, you could start with a base truck and build it into something superior to the Raptor. Do these dealers think they are Salient Arms?

Mike Heckathorn
04-26-2018, 06:29 PM
Wow. For $15k, you could start with a base truck and build it into something superior to the Raptor. Do these dealers think they are Salient Arms?

With no warranty or resale of any kind. That is high on a Raptor, though. New sell for $2-3k over retail ( I was looking at both new and used last weekend)

Captain Ron
04-26-2018, 06:56 PM
With no warranty or resale of any kind. That is high on a Raptor, though. New sell for $2-3k over retail ( I was looking at both new and used last weekend)

Buy a Tundra 4x4 CrewMax for $45k or less depending on trim level(mine was $42k including some options), spend $5-7k on a good mid-travel upgrade—upper control arms, front coil overs, and rear shocks/springs, maybe front lockers, etc. Make sure to get Camburg/King/ICON/Fox rather than the “sky lift” or other cheap option. Done. Tundra reliability with Raptor-realm handling. If you need faster there’s a supercharger kit for it.

tomsdaname
04-26-2018, 07:02 PM
I second the Toyota over the Ford. I’d never buy a ford just based on them using aluminum for their body panels. If you do any off roading at all, Ford will be the last choice I’d be looking at. The Tacoma will haul your bike around like it wasn’t even there. I just bought my first Toyota as I was a Dodge/mopar guy my whole life. Never owned anything else. Well I’m here to tell you my ‘17 tundra is way more truck than any ram I’ve ever owned. Granted I’ve only owned half ton trucks. IMO the tundra is the only true half ton truck left on the market. The Chevy ford and ram half ton are just passenger vehicles with beds. Tundra has the biggest ring and pinion gears biggest brakes and the heaviest duty front end parts in the half ton class. You won’t be disappointed with the taco if you can deal with a smaller truck. Me personally I looked at the tacos but being used to full sized trucks they were too small for my liking. But they are very capable. It was just personal taste that I didn’t like the interior space compared to a full size truck.

Uhhhh no,,,just no....I've worked for Ford for close to 20 years and now work for a Toyota dealer..#1 the sloweSt F150 would rape that Tundra in any type of race or pulling contest,,,#2 while your stuck getting 13-14 mpg in that Tundra any F150 of the same year will be closer to 20mpg,,,with a hella lot more power..#3 You can build or configure an F150 into a lot heavier duty truck than what's possible with Toyota,,,just way more options...We ran our company trucks Fords to 4-500k miles before we traded them out..Yes I like and own Yotas,,,,but Ford trucks are the king followed by Toyota then GM Dodge/Nissan In that order....

Mike Heckathorn
04-26-2018, 07:49 PM
Buy a Tundra 4x4 CrewMax for $45k or less depending on trim level(mine was $42k including some options), spend $5-7k on a good mid-travel upgradeóupper control arms, front coil overs, and rear shocks/springs, maybe front lockers, etc. Make sure to get Camburg/King/ICON/Fox rather than the ďsky liftĒ or other cheap option. Done. Tundra reliability with Raptor-realm handling. If you need faster thereís a supercharger kit for it.

Well, my brotherís Raptor has had 0 issues, his Tundra was nothing but issues. You can say what you want, but Iíll stick to Ford and pay the extra cash for a turn key vehicle (also, I ended up with a Mustang GT that day instead of trading my Explorer Sport on the Raptor. Shop monkey and I are picking up the Explorer Saturday since I left it at the dealership to drive the Mustang).

WOLF220
04-26-2018, 08:37 PM
Hahaha yeah until you drop a toolbox or rock through the bed. Your claims are purely subjective.

[QUOTE=tomsdaname;1909214]Uhhhh no,,,just no....I've worked for Ford for close to 20 years and now work for a Toyota dealer..#1 the sloweSt F150 would rape that Tundra in any type of race or pulling contest,

I’d like to see proof of that. And actually, the 2017 f150’s 5.0 V8 which is the same size as the tundra’s puts out a whopping 4 more horsepower. The slowest f150 puts out 325 hp as opposed to the tundras 381. Fail

,,#2 while your stuck getting 13-14 mpg in that Tundra any F150 of the same year will be closer to 20mpg,,,with a hella lot more power.

I don’t buy a full size truck worrying about mpg. The tundra has a 38 gallon fuel tank. I’ll go as far or further than a Ford.

.#3 You can build or configure an F150 into a lot heavier duty truck than what's possible with Toyota,,,just way more options...

Absolutely untrue. There is as much or more aftermarket support for the tundra than the newer f150s. The tundra has been using the same power train since the 3rd gen was introduced back in 2007. It’s a proven design.

We ran our company trucks Fords to 4-500k miles before we traded them out.

Did you hear about the 1 million mile tundra?

.Yes I like and own Yotas,,,,but Ford trucks are the king followed by Toyota then GM Dodge/Nissan In that order....[/QUOTE

For the most part, all the major makers put out decent products. Just depends on how much you want to spend and what you want it to do. But let’s not be making false claims..

Captain Ron
04-26-2018, 09:59 PM
Well, my brother’s Raptor has had 0 issues, his Tundra was nothing but issues. You can say what you want, but I’ll stick to Ford and pay the extra cash for a turn key vehicle (also, I ended up with a Mustang GT that day instead of trading my Explorer Sport on the Raptor. Shop monkey and I are picking up the Explorer Saturday since I left it at the dealership to drive the Mustang).

While I love mine I’m no Tundra fanboy and I’d love to drive one of the new Raptors. I was just responding with an option compared to the big price premium the Raptor commands. If my Tundra becomes a problem I’ll use its great resale value to end up in an F150, it was a close second choice for me when I bought new a couple years back anyway.

I drove the 3.5 ecoboost for a few years as a fleet vehicle and had zero complaints, get what makes you happy.

Johnny C!
04-27-2018, 04:39 AM
I haven't read much of this thread, but I just
wanted tell anyone interested in the F150's.

My brother & his youngest son bought F150's
about 6 months ago. The paint on my brother's
truck is what one would expect. But the paint on
my nephew's truck is horrible. A friend of his noticed
the corners on the bed panels were chipping off
the second day he had it home. After complaining,
they replaced the whole bed. After that he's finding
thin paint on the doors & the roof.

Caveat Emptor.

tomsdaname
04-27-2018, 06:02 AM
Hahaha yeah until you drop a toolbox or rock through the bed. Your claims are purely subjective.

[QUOTE=tomsdaname;1909214]Uhhhh no,,,just no....I've worked for Ford for close to 20 years and now work for a Toyota dealer..#1 the sloweSt F150 would rape that Tundra in any type of race or pulling contest,

I’d like to see proof of that. And actually, the 2017 f150’s 5.0 V8 which is the same size as the tundra’s puts out a whopping 4 more horsepower. The slowest f150 puts out 325 hp as opposed to the tundras 381. Fail

,,#2 while your stuck getting 13-14 mpg in that Tundra any F150 of the same year will be closer to 20mpg,,,with a hella lot more power.

I don’t buy a full size truck worrying about mpg. The tundra has a 38 gallon fuel tank. I’ll go as far or further than a Ford.

.#3 You can build or configure an F150 into a lot heavier duty truck than what's possible with Toyota,,,just way more options...

Absolutely untrue. There is as much or more aftermarket support for the tundra than the newer f150s. The tundra has been using the same power train since the 3rd gen was introduced back in 2007. It’s a proven design.

We ran our company trucks Fords to 4-500k miles before we traded them out.

Did you hear about the 1 million mile tundra?

.Yes I like and own Yotas,,,,but Ford trucks are the king followed by Toyota then GM Dodge/Nissan In that order....[/QUOTE

For the most part, all the major makers put out decent products. Just depends on how much you want to spend and what you want it to do. But let’s not be making false claims..
SUBJECTIVE my ASS,,,I don't care what the H.P. ratings are,,the Yota loses period,,,go drive the 2....I drive them everyday...#2 Everyday I meet experts that know more than me about there rides,,,but for some reason they cant fix there vehicles and must bring them to me to repair...Im master certified in Ford and will be in Toyota by the end of the year...Toyota makes excellent products however the Tundra lacks compared to the F150...Come on down to the shop and ill show you a Tundra right now we're putting an engine into,,,,,,,,,,,,,a brand new truck with 30 miles on it...And your crazy as hell if you really believe there's more aftermarket support for Toyota than Ford,,,where'd you come up with that from???

7 Mary 3
04-27-2018, 06:21 AM
Personally myself Im never buying another new vehicle. The prices on them are super crazy compared to what you can find in the used market. I dont want or need all the space age gadgets they put in them now either. My wife drives an Edge and it has that master touch screen thing and I hate it. I bought my current Silverado that was ~6 yo with like 38K miles in it for 1/3 the price of a new one. Its been pretty solid.

The Al body's on the Fords make me pretty squeamish. There was an online story of a guy taking one through a car wash and the brush yanked the antenna out of the fender and proceeded to destroy the side of the truck with it.

I think you would be disappointed downgrading in size. Im 6 3 and hate squeezing into anything. I will pay for gas to have room for me and room to haul stuff. I run a versatile hunting dog and have a platform in the back with the dog crate strapped down on top and gear rides under in organizers along with a gun case.
Also stick with the 6.5 bed. I have a cap and if I want to bunk out in the back I can lay out and boon dock. Online there is a whole bunch of people who build out the beds of trucks with caps for doing this.

Whatever make you choose I will tell you like I told another guy when he asked for advice. If you go 4x4 go with the off road package whatever they call it. That should get you the limited slip dif rear (confirm don't assume). A 4x4 with out that is just really 2 wheel drive...one in the front and one in the back. That extra wheel turning in the back makes a huge difference when you want/need 4x4. Im not just talking about serious off road stuff. That may mean the difference in tearing up someones wet yard when you need to drive on it to turn around etc.

7M3

UNO
04-27-2018, 06:22 AM
[QUOTE=WOLF220;1909220]Hahaha yeah until you drop a toolbox or rock through the bed. Your claims are purely subjective.

SUBJECTIVE my ASS,,,I don't care what the H.P. ratings are,,the Yota loses period,,,go drive the 2....I drive them everyday...#2 Everyday I meet experts that know more than me about there rides,,,but for some reason they cant fix there vehicles and must bring them to me to repair...Im master certified in Ford and will be in Toyota by the end of the year...Toyota makes excellent products however the Tundra lacks compared to the F150...Come on down to the shop and ill show you a Tundra right now we're putting an engine into,,,,,,,,,,,,,a brand new truck with 30 miles on it...

https://www.truedelta.com/Ford-F-150/reliability-87
https://www.truedelta.com/Toyota-Tundra/reliability-278

Then there's value retention. The Tundra took #3 here, but it was #1 for gas burners.
https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-full-size-pickup-truck/

Your Tundra that you are replacing the engine in, can you tell us about what went wrong with that vehicle/why you're replacing the engine? We've had new Fords blow the coolant hoses off as they were leaving the dealership. Stuff happens.

Regarding acceleration, objectively, here is some data:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-ford-f-150-50l-v-8-4x4-supercrew-review
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-toyota-tundra-in-depth-model-review-2018-toyota-tundra-performance-and-driving-impressions-review-car-and-driver-page-4

The F150 has the Tundra by a meaningful margin, if racing is your goal.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that the drivetrain in the current Tundra is "old". It's STILL keeping pace with the other trucks being mentioned. An important aspect of this is that we KNOW what to expect from it, and it's good. We THINK and we HOPE the others are, but we don't KNOW. There is something to be said for not jumping on "the new thing", as many people with 2017-2018 Honda Civic and CRV's are finding out, as Honda has legally been forced to stop sales in China, and their engine problems with the 1.5T are becoming manifest in Canada as well as colder parts of the US. CRV and Civic. We had HOPED and had REASON to HOPE that they would be reliable...but...so count me out on vouching for "the new thing". Especially when the Tundra does just fine with its 5.7 and 6-speed, retains value, is more or less just as fast.

Ford still has to prove its 10-speed transmission in my book. Ford is not known for their superlative automatics, so I won't take that one on faith. In fact, they were known for killing people and burying the responsibility for it in court in the 60's and 70's because the transmissions were popping into gear, and, like a bad dream, here we are in 2018, with Ford's 10-speed transmission popping out of Park...https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/ford-recalls-vehicles-with-10-speed-automatic-transmissions-041018.html

tomsdaname
04-27-2018, 06:46 AM
[QUOTE=tomsdaname;1909247]

https://www.truedelta.com/Ford-F-150/reliability-87
https://www.truedelta.com/Toyota-Tundra/reliability-278

Then there's value retention. The Tundra took #3 here, but it was #1 for gas burners.
https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-full-size-pickup-truck/

Your Tundra that you are replacing the engine in, can you tell us about what went wrong with that vehicle/why you're replacing the engine? We've had new Fords blow the coolant hoses off as they were leaving the dealership. Stuff happens.

Regarding acceleration, objectively, here is some data:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-ford-f-150-50l-v-8-4x4-supercrew-review
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-toyota-tundra-in-depth-model-review-2018-toyota-tundra-performance-and-driving-impressions-review-car-and-driver-page-4

The F150 has the Tundra by a meaningful margin, if racing is your goal.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that the drivetrain in the current Tundra is "old". It's STILL keeping pace with the other trucks being mentioned. An important aspect of this is that we KNOW what to expect from it, and it's good. We THINK and we HOPE the others are, but we don't KNOW. There is something to be said for not jumping on "the new thing", as many people with 2017-2018 Honda Civic and CRV's are finding out, as Honda has legally been forced to stop sales in China, and their engine problems with the 1.5T are becoming manifest in Canada as well as colder parts of the US. CRV and Civic. We had HOPED and had REASON to HOPE that they would be reliable...but...so count me out on vouching for "the new thing". Especially when the Tundra does just fine with its 5.7 and 6-speed, retains value, is more or less just as fast.

Ford still has to prove its 10-speed transmission in my book. Ford is not known for their superlative automatics, so I won't take that one on faith. In fact, they were known for killing people and burying the responsibility for it in court in the 60's and 70's because the transmissions were popping into gear, and, like a bad dream, here we are in 2018, with Ford's 10-speed transmission popping out of Park...https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/ford-recalls-vehicles-with-10-speed-automatic-transmissions-041018.html
Unloaded the truck off of the transport with the engine knocking and rattling,,,the engine is out and on the stand someone forgot to install a rod bearing...There's a reason that Ford trucks have been the best selling vehicles for decades,,,,yes Decades......Wanna know what the downfall for Toyota is..Lets use a 92 Tacoma for example,,,say your transmission goes out with 200k plus miles,,,by the time I get finished rebuilding it "correctly" its gonna cost ya more than the blue book value of the truck...we don't half ass repairs we do it right or we don't do it at all there's plenty of crooked people out there that'll rip you off on repairs...I can rebuild a ford tranny wayyyyyy cheaper with upgrades......

WOLF220
04-27-2018, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=WOLF220;1909220]Hahaha yeah until you drop a toolbox or rock through the bed. Your claims are purely subjective.

SUBJECTIVE my ASS,,,I don't care what the H.P. ratings are,,the Yota loses period,,,go drive the 2....I drive them everyday...#2 Everyday I meet experts that know more than me about there rides,,,but for some reason they cant fix there vehicles and must bring them to me to repair...Im master certified in Ford and will be in Toyota by the end of the year...Toyota makes excellent products however the Tundra lacks compared to the F150...Come on down to the shop and ill show you a Tundra right now we're putting an engine into,,,,,,,,,,,,,a brand new truck with 30 miles on it...And your crazy as hell if you really believe there's more aftermarket support for Toyota than Ford,,,where'd you come up with that from???

[quote I don’t care what the H.P. ratings are,, the Yota loses period...] LOL that’s like saying, I don’t care what the velocities are, the .22 lr is more powerful than the .220 swift.

There are ZERO facts in your post. Feelings......nothing but feelings....... whatever bruh, drive what you want. I’ll drive what I want.

tomsdaname
04-27-2018, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=tomsdaname;1909247]

[quote I don’t care what the H.P. ratings are,, the Yota loses period...] LOL that’s like saying, I don’t care what the velocities are, the .22 lr is more powerful than the .220 swift.

There are ZERO facts in your post. Feelings......nothing but feelings....... whatever bruh, drive what you want. I’ll drive what I want.

Ya wanna fact,,,bring your Tundra over here anytime you want,,We'll walk over to the Ford store and ill let you pick out the F150 you'd like me to smoke your ass with,,,,or actually we have several here on the Used Car Lot........Fact the Tundra is rated at 381hp while the ecoboost is around 365,,,,its lower right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and theres not a chance in hell that Tundra could beat it,,,,,or get better milage........FACT....yOU Can p.m. me.......If you knew anything about the politics involved with H.P. and Torq. #ss with vehicle manufactures,,you'd know they can and often do get very scewed to serve a purpose....Fact f150,,,,best selling vehicle in America,,,,for Decades

mfox497
04-27-2018, 11:24 AM
This thread has turned into something I was afraid it would. Bashing the others truck, specifically why I didn't ask at work about it. Oh well. As for the aluminum bed on the Fords, it doesn't worry me too much as my old Land Rover had aluminum panels and they held together quite fine despite the offroading I did.

Like I said earlier, thanks for the ideas and suggestions. I believe I will hold out for the Ford Ranger and compare it to the Chevy Colorado. If neither appeals to me I will simply buy another F-150.

WOLF220
04-27-2018, 11:35 AM
This thread has turned into something I was afraid it would. Bashing the others truck, specifically why I didn't ask at work about it. Oh well. As for the aluminum bed on the Fords, it doesn't worry me too much as my old Land Rover had aluminum panels and they held together quite fine despite the offroading I did.

Like I said earlier, thanks for the ideas and suggestions. I believe I will hold out for the Ford Ranger and compare it to the Chevy Colorado. If neither appeals to me I will simply buy another F-150.

No worries mfox, I’m done with mr. Ford, err Tom, er tundra, whatever his name is. Good luck on your purchase. Like I said before, I think all the major makers puts out a good product, just depends on how much you wanna pull out of your wallet. Keep us abreast especially if you get the rereleased ranger.

tomsdaname
04-27-2018, 11:40 AM
What people don't realize is the fact that all manufacturers have there good points as well as there bad ones..I can as easily point out the flaws in Ford's products as well..And for you-alls info bitching about aluminum,,,,Gm Trucks are going to aluminum also,,,soon all trucks will be aluminum,,its a gas saving and a safety measure..Personally theyre all getting too damn expensive for what they are but as long as people continue to buy them they'll keep hiking up those prices.....

Like I said before I meet people everyday that know more about this stuff than I do,,,,and I have togo to school on them every year for the last 29 years...For some strange reason they keep bringing there cars/trucks to me to get fixed.....

UNO
04-27-2018, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=UNO;1909251]
Unloaded the truck off of the transport with the engine knocking and rattling,,,the engine is out and on the stand someone forgot to install a rod bearing...There's a reason that Ford trucks have been the best selling vehicles for decades,,,,yes Decades......Wanna know what the downfall for Toyota is..Lets use a 92 Tacoma for example,,,say your transmission goes out with 200k plus miles,,,by the time I get finished rebuilding it "correctly" its gonna cost ya more than the blue book value of the truck...we don't half ass repairs we do it right or we don't do it at all there's plenty of crooked people out there that'll rip you off on repairs...I can rebuild a ford tranny wayyyyyy cheaper with upgrades......

Who rebuilds a transmission in a 1990s vehicle? You buy a lower mile used one for 500 bucks from an auto parts warehouse. I did that for an Infiniti 5 years ago. Dealer wanted $4500+labor. I got it done for $1250 complete. It worked fine for another 35k miles when I sold it, and last I heard 2 years ago was still fine.

Yes, stuff happens. Like I figured, an error occurred in manufacture. It's happened to all of them. Like Ford and their recall 2 weeks ago because they forgot to install a roll pin and the transmissions are popping out of park...