PDA

View Full Version : "Cleans" clinic - May 13, 2006

Cold War Scout
05-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Dino and Ashley (she is worth coming to see by herself) have tentatively scheduled, next Saturday afternoon at The Inferno, (more info to come) a "couple of hours" clinic on "cleans." The clean is a critical movement to success in Olympic weight lifting (OWL). Being able to properly put together the components of a correct in form clean from the ground up, translates directly to one's ability to perform a number of other subsequent OWL movements. Dino really knows his stuff when it comes to OWL training. The cost for the clinic will be very nominal (Dino truly just loves to show people this stuff), and since it's not an all day seminar, it won't take up your whole Saturday. If you live in the DC/Northern Virginia area, and have had an interest in checking out Olympic weight lifting (which I have personally found addicitve), this is a great opportunity. to learn from the best and get hands on experience yourself in working with OWL. Also, for those of you who are into working out and maybe looking for something extra to add to the gas tank, you will be hard pressed to find a better full-body conditioning vehicle. I have watched several guys training for fights over a few months now, and I'm telling you the power behind their punch has skyrocketed, to the point that getting hit by some of them is like getting hit by Marv in "Sin City."

This clinic is expected to be the first in a series of clinics concerning conditioning. Certainly more Olympic lifting, and probably kettlebells, Clubbells, and the like.

Cold War Scout
05-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Looks like it's going to be at 1630 hours. Cost of $10.

michael
05-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Looks like it's going to be at 1630 hours. Cost of $10.

That's a steal. I would go if I was closer.

Jack Rumbaugh
05-09-2006, 05:43 AM
If I didn't have a double herniated disk I'd attend.

Cold War Scout
05-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Just came back from the "cleans" clinic. Excellent stuff! I took my clean up 30 lbs in 2 hours. Best $10 I ever spent.

michael
05-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Just came back from the "cleans" clinic. Excellent stuff! I took my clean up 30 lbs in 2 hours. Best $10 I ever spent.

That's awesome. It's amazing what a change in technique can do.

Cold War Scout
05-14-2006, 11:15 AM
That's awesome. It's amazing what a change in technique can do.

Actually it turns out it was only 20 lbs. :( But still, all in all, a very worthwhile day. I now know I can drop underneath a bar with weight on it, which I was afraid to try until yesterday (because of my knees) until Dino walked me through it. It was interesting how he walked us through a 3 phase process. First we practiced high pulls from the floor. Then we practiced dropping underneath the bar (no weight on bar...just pure form) while yanking it up from what is the end position of the basic pull (not high pull). Start position for phase 2 was up on toes, shoulders shrugged, bar hanging from "long arms", weight more or less on mid-thigh. Then we yanked it up, and dropped down underneath at the same time. It really amazed me how little the bar actually moves higher up if you drop underneath it. Basically, whatever you can high pull to your chest, you can easily clean. And then phase 3 was cleaning from the floor.

michael
05-14-2006, 01:40 PM
I've never tried it either because of knees and back. If I had professional coaching, I might swing it, but I don't think I'll try it without help.

Cold War Scout
05-15-2006, 01:41 PM
I didn't think I could do it either. I have knees and back issues also. But damn it, I did it!

Start with dead lifts. It is really the first element of the equation. A proper dead lift requires you to address the bar properly. That means you walk up to it and your shins are touching it. You basically drag the bar up your shins. The success of any OWL clean or snatch is essentially keeping the weight as close to your body as possible. Most serious OWL lifters have scars on their knees from dragging. I wear ACE bandages wrapped around that area to try and diminish any raking of the shins. To requote Coach Dan Johns: 1) heels (you should be able to wriggle your toes), 2) big chest, 3) butt back, 4) head up, 5) "wedge" yourself under the bar (Pavel's words).

michael
05-15-2006, 02:35 PM
I do the dead's on a fairly regular basis, and do okay with them. I can even do a few sets of good-mornings occaisonally.

Cold War Scout
05-15-2006, 02:47 PM
I do the dead's on a fairly regular basis, and do okay with them. I can even do a few sets of good-mornings occaisonally.

So your next step should be pulls.

michael
05-16-2006, 01:54 AM
So your next step should be pulls.

I haven't worked on pulls, but I'll give it a shot. My pulling has been limited to pull-ups and bent over rows.