PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Kata: Watch Your Back

Brent Yamamoto
03-25-2018, 09:04 PM
This one is called “Watch Your Back”. It deals with recognizing a threat behind you and quickly moving off the X. Footwork is slightly different from “Diagonal Lines”.

My reloads still need a little work for purposes of the kata. I would normally put the magazine in a pocket, not back into a magazine pouch. But it’s necessary smoothly transition from one section to the next. I don’t normally carry the magazine pouch featured in the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t_pSkeK9jj0

Marco Innocenti
03-25-2018, 09:13 PM
Watched it a few times.

Excited to start practicing these as they develop.

And will wait patiently for a video series. (Happy to pay what these are worth. And that isn’t a small amount.)

Thank you Brent for this Kata.

And thank you Mr. Suarez and team for creating this.

Blacked out
03-26-2018, 04:09 AM
Thank you for the addition Brent and the walk thru was much appreciated. I think that will get people unfamiliar with katas up to speed more quickly.

barnetmill
03-26-2018, 06:55 AM
Excellent. Yes I too carry my spare mag in a front pocket and also there is the cover garment. I will wear shoes and do it outside with my air soft and just start out slow.

Shooter Ready
03-26-2018, 07:18 AM
Fantastic. Love the economy of motion. This should be the gold standard for practicing getting off the X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brent Yamamoto
03-26-2018, 07:45 AM
Here is a rough draft explaining the theme and principles of the kata. Help me make it better.

Watch Your Back

Theme:
Dealing with lethal threat behind you

Principles:
Look before you leap- You must correctly recognize a lethal threat before you respond with lethal action

Get off the X
*Move as quickly and efficiently as possible
*Minimize the possibility of slipping, use gravity rather than pushing off the ground
*Be capable of changing direction of movement
*Use angular movement to increase the distance off the X

Condition thr fighter to respond reflexively and intuitively with the pistol combat sequence:
*Move
*Shoot
*Look for other threats
*Proactively reload the gun
*Check self for injury

Hide the gun whenever possible to minimize the chance of being shot by other responders

JD Lester
03-26-2018, 06:45 PM
Great stuff Brent!

v/r

JD

WOLF220
03-26-2018, 07:40 PM
Freaking awesome! Between this and the four angles I’ve got some stuff to practice!

Surreal001
04-02-2018, 06:33 AM
Great stuff Brent. Going to have to give this a run today and see where I need work.

Brent Yamamoto
04-03-2018, 10:36 AM
I'll be posting a new vid this afternoon showing the takeoff from Watch Your Back in more detail.

I wanted to capture it in slow motion but it's not working well with the lighting. And so far I haven't been interested in filming in the rain - though I may eventually do that since the Okinawa Takeoff works really well in slick conditions.

JRUSMC
04-04-2018, 05:05 PM
I'll be posting a new vid this afternoon showing the takeoff from Watch Your Back in more detail.

I wanted to capture it in slow motion but it's not working well with the lighting. And so far I haven't been interested in filming in the rain - though I may eventually do that since the Okinawa Takeoff works really well in slick conditions.Good stuff. Thank you for the follow up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk