PDA

View Full Version : New Product Idea

Steven Spaugh
03-08-2018, 03:36 AM
New Product Idea:

Use THE SUAREZ NPE-2 HOLSTER concept to create something similar for the stakeout. I'm thinking of two versions. One that would cover the trigger guard, and the Suarez safety, and one that would cover the trigger guard, and the Remington safety. Using this would prevent the safety being unintentionally switched off, and unintentional discharge.
Whatcha think?:scratchchin:<strike></strike>

https://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-ve6rdd5n1f/products/1336/images/2874/fnilpfginfcocdhb__15698.1477942798.380.500.jpg?c=2

JonathanNobody
03-08-2018, 04:17 AM
I’d buy one

Brent Yamamoto
03-08-2018, 06:14 AM
Seems to me if it was done right, one version molded large enough to fit the bigger safety would suffice. The other side is flat either way and the holster would hold it in.

Unless a gun is on me (holstered or in my hands), I leave it unchambered. Exceptions are if the gun is in a secured holster (say a bedside gun). But this counts as holstered, and an extra round in the Stakeout is attractive. Might be on to something here.

Dorkface
03-08-2018, 06:23 AM
I don't see the point of it. Seems like an over complication to just leaving the chamber empty if the gun isnt in your control.

Gabriel Suarez
03-08-2018, 06:38 AM
For a shotgun?

With a safety?

Im not seeing the need...

Sherman A. House
03-08-2018, 07:21 AM
Arenít shotguns like the 870 not drop-safe? Meaning, donít drop it when it is chambered?

This device wouldnít prevent an AD if dropped.

civiliandefender.com

JonathanNobody
03-08-2018, 08:00 AM
I would purchase one and here is why:

I carried a 14" Remington 870 for a fair portion of my career and now that they're no longer authorized for law enforcement use with the agency I have a TAC-14 for "animal problems." Traditionally, the 870s did, and the TAC-14 does, have a +1 extension on the tubular magazine. I have always kept the tube loaded with four and one in the chamber. My experience has taught me more shotshells are better, manipulating the action brings unwanted attention, and slowly manipulating the action to avoid attention may induce feeding problems as that isn't the way the action or weapon platform was designed to work. As a result, I have always carried five shotshells with the safety applied.

I've traditionally used a larger Vang Comp and/or Scattergun Technologies safety as it makes "rolling it off" easier. The downside to this larger safety is while it is easier to roll off, it is also easier to become unintentionally disengaged by other media; this is an unfortunate scenario when the shotgun is loaded to capacity.

In my fieldwork, and in my current life, the 14" 870 has been carried under the down-folding arm rests of a Crown Vic, wedged between the bench seats of other makes, placed in the behind-the-seat-pocket of a RICO'd UC vehicle, riding on the floor of the passenger seat foot well and/or bungied beneath the driver's seat in the foot well just below my right hand.

For the weapon system, loaded status, method of carry and type of professional work, I think a device which kept unintentional media from disengaging a safety to be a benefit.

Update:

Just spoke to a friend in special investigation and his initial thought wasn't in regards for what it would do to keep the safety engaged, but what it could be made to do to ensure the action bar lock wasn't unintentionally disengaged by media floating around the vehicle or pressure applied by seat cushions, feet, etc..

I like it. May ask Doza to make me one.

I could see the string on it being tied to the under-seat support so as I pulled the shotgun up it automatically disengaged the device from the trigger housing assembly and action bar lock area.

This is why I would buy it.

Gabriel Suarez
03-08-2018, 08:17 AM
The downside to this larger safety is while it is easier to roll off, it is also easier to become unintentionally disengaged by other media; this is an unfortunate scenario when the shotgun is loaded to capacity. .

THAT is something I'd not considered. I will see about it then.

There is one similar item I had been thinking of and that is a muzzle cover of some sort. One that keeps unwanted items from working their way into the barrel, but that can be easily shot off if necessary.

Greg Nichols
03-08-2018, 08:22 AM

There is one similar item I had been thinking of and that is a muzzle cover of some sort. One that keeps unwanted items from working their way into the barrel, but that can be easily shot off if necessary.

Paintball guns used to have things called barrel bags that were just a nylon sleeve with a bungie to cover the muzzle. It's purpose was to prevent it from firing a paint ball while in the staging area but something like that would work in reverse for this purpose.

apamburn
03-08-2018, 08:48 AM
Paintball guns used to have things called barrel bags that were just a nylon sleeve with a bungie to cover the muzzle. It's purpose was to prevent it from firing a paint ball while in the staging area but something like that would work in reverse for this purpose.

Barrel covers or barrel condoms, depending on whose company you're in.

Only authorized barrel blocking device at most fields these days.

Steven Spaugh
03-08-2018, 11:34 AM
Muzzle cover. I use something like this on a shotgun with one of those flash hiders with saw teeth on the end. It prevents unintentional cuts when moving from/to the safe. Mine does not fit tight enough to hold the SG upside down, but it works fine for my purpose. Regarding shooting it off, you would have to consider how thick it is, and how much resistance it would provide. Hunters have used balloons on their shotguns to prevent snow and other things from obstructing the barrel.

https://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/images/ProductImages/3199214-23.jpg

Steven Spaugh
03-08-2018, 11:46 AM
I would purchase one and here is why:

I carried a 14" Remington 870 for a fair portion of my career and now that they're no longer authorized for law enforcement use with the agency I have a TAC-14 for "animal problems." Traditionally, the 870s did, and the TAC-14 does, have a +1 extension on the tubular magazine. I have always kept the tube loaded with four and one in the chamber. My experience has taught me more shotshells are better, YES manipulating the action brings unwanted attention, YES and slowly manipulating the action to avoid attention may induce feeding problems as that isn't the way the action or weapon platform was designed to work.YES As a result, I have always carried five shotshells with the safety applied. More BB's, more better.

I've traditionally used a larger Vang Comp and/or Scattergun Technologies safety as it makes "rolling it off" easier. The downside to this larger safety is while it is easier to roll off, it is also easier to become unintentionally disengaged by other media; this is an unfortunate scenario when the shotgun is loaded to capacity. Yes

In my fieldwork, and in my current life, the 14" 870 has been carried under the down-folding arm rests of a Crown Vic, wedged between the bench seats of other makes, placed in the behind-the-seat-pocket of a RICO'd UC vehicle, riding on the floor of the passenger seat foot well and/or bungied beneath the driver's seat in the foot well just below my right hand.

For the weapon system, loaded status, method of carry and type of professional work, I think a device which kept unintentional media from disengaging a safety to be a benefit.

Update:

Just spoke to a friend in special investigation and his initial thought wasn't in regards for what it would do to keep the safety engaged, but what it could be made to do to ensure the action bar lock wasn't unintentionally disengaged by media floating around the vehicle or pressure applied by seat cushions, feet, etc..Bingo!

I like it. May ask Doza to make me one.

I could see the string on it being tied to the under-seat support so as I pulled the shotgun up it automatically disengaged the device from the trigger housing assembly and action bar lock area.

This is why I would buy it.

The one thing that you did not cover...once the safety is UNINTENTIONALLY disengaged without your knowledge, now you are all set for the trigger to be unintentionally manipulated...BOOM! BTW, this is how some squad cars got their sun-roof installed.

cannis latrans
03-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Black electrical tape. Works fine on rifles....shoot right through it.

JonathanNobody
03-08-2018, 04:44 PM
The one thing that you did not cover...once the safety is UNINTENTIONALLY disengaged without your knowledge, now you are all set for the trigger to be unintentionally manipulated...BOOM! BTW, this is how some squad cars got their sun-roof installed.

Sometime if we're ever in a class together I'll tell you a story about that...

Dorkface
03-08-2018, 04:59 PM
I am still skeptical. Seems like searching for a hardware soulution to a software problem.

JonathanNobody
03-08-2018, 05:04 PM
I am still skeptical. Seems like searching for a hardware soulution to a software problem.

Then that'd apply to any safety on any firearms, or seatbelts in a vehicle. Maybe. From the guys i spoke to today at several agencies they're already making moves to make them in-house.

Maybe Steve Spaugh was on to something.

cmcampbell
03-08-2018, 05:08 PM

On bead sight shotguns we used M16 muzzle covers in the 1970s. They would fit and not fall off. Rib or slug sights probably negates this.

Papa
03-08-2018, 06:53 PM

Or--one size fits most:

No wisecracks about shooting through the rubbers.

Yondering
03-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Black electrical tape. Works fine on rifles....shoot right through it.

This. One could use little rubbers or caps if you prefer, but electrical tape gets the job done, and you can keep a couple wraps on the barrel to re-apply after shooting if desired. This is pretty common among hunters.

Papa
03-08-2018, 07:12 PM
And let's not forget:

Disclaimer: never used one, never handled one.

Dorkface
03-08-2018, 07:18 PM
Then that'd apply to any safety on any firearms, or seatbelts in a vehicle. Maybe. From the guys i spoke to today at several agencies they're already making moves to make them in-house.

Maybe Steve Spaugh was on to something.

:dunno: Government thought grip safeties were a good idea and people still think they need to download Pmags to 28 rounds and much more. I might be entirely wrong but the concept to me screams lowest common denominator.

JonathanNobody
03-08-2018, 07:48 PM
:dunno: Government thought grip safeties were a good idea and people still think they need to download Pmags to 28 rounds and much more. I might be entirely wrong but the concept to me screams lowest common denominator.

Maybe. What part was the lowest common denominator? The human using the weapon or the foreign environmental media which may induce a mechanical malfunction?

Papa
03-08-2018, 07:54 PM
Some truly remarkable stuff ends up in shotgun barrels.

Just sayin'.

Steven Spaugh
03-09-2018, 04:31 AM
:dunno: I might be entirely wrong but the concept to me screams lowest common denominator.

At any given moment, we could all be the lowest common denominator.

There are a lot of things on the market that I do not buy, and/or use. I don't have a need for a single point sling. That sling is used by some, and works for their methods.

This idea is for the person that is transporting a shotgun/stakeout without a case, and chamber loaded. We are not talking about using this while you are carrying it on your person. This is for transporting within a vehicle. Things that are not securely bolted to the vehicle move. Actually, things that are bolted to the vehicle move. The SG does not have to move violently to move the safety. It could be a gradual movement caused by vibration. The SG, without the safety on, would be staged for Murphy to take over. The trigger could catch on something while driving, or while you are moving the SG. This has happened to those that have used the rifle rack in their pickup, as well as patrol officers when removing the SG from the stored position.

The other thing this "cover" would prevent is the unintentional movement of the action bar lock. If this is manipulated, the SG could be out of battery. Not good.

Take a look at the videos that Gabe has made from his vehicle. If I remember correctly (I don't always), there is at least one that shows a Stakeout positioned along side the seat. Even if you had your hand on it, you could not keep the weapon from moving.

This may not be something you see a need for, but I hope this clears up the concept for you, and others.

God Bless,

Steven

Greg Nichols
03-09-2018, 07:18 AM
not me, I'm awesome all the time. I get up in the morning and piss excellence.

Steven Spaugh
03-09-2018, 07:55 AM

Alas, not everyone gets to be Greg Nichols.

Ted Demosthenes
03-09-2018, 01:12 PM
For reasons already stated, Iím in for an NPE-ish trigger guard.

For muzzle covers, save the condoms for fun and cut fingers off nitrile gloves. Lots of different sizes and colors.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180309/ee1e3cb6d2b964c4e03a620bdda0bc07.jpg

JonathanNobody
03-09-2018, 01:25 PM
For reasons already stated, I’m in for an NPE-ish trigger guard.

For muzzle covers, save the condoms for fun and cut fingers off nitrile gloves. Lots of different sizes and colors.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180309/ee1e3cb6d2b964c4e03a620bdda0bc07.jpg

Be careful Ted, you’re moving into the area of lowest common denominator police and military combat veterans.

Brent Yamamoto
03-09-2018, 01:38 PM

Ok thats a signture line. I’m stealing it.

Mike Heckathorn
03-09-2018, 01:40 PM
I don't know how many times I have to say this: It's not excellence, it's a combination of blood and puss. You need to seek medical attention.

Greg Nichols
03-09-2018, 01:51 PM
it's not supposed to burn?

JonathanNobody
03-09-2018, 03:04 PM

Steven Spaugh
03-09-2018, 03:27 PM
Two questions:

1. Does that cover the
action bar lock/release?

2. When do I get my royalty check?

Papa
03-09-2018, 07:55 PM
Two questions:

1. Does that cover the
action bar lock/release?

2. When do I get my royalty check?

Your check is in the mail.

barnetmill
03-09-2018, 10:06 PM
And let's not forget:

Disclaimer: never used one, never handled one.
wonder just how safe that is from AD when loose on the floor of a vehicle. A glock has a longish trigger pull and is not considered safe unless the trigger is protected by some sort of holster.

Papa
03-10-2018, 04:20 AM
Yeah. I was riding shotgun on a code run in another deputy's car 30 plus years ago when the pistol-gripped M37 came adrift on a 90 degree turn. There was no shotgun rack, so I scooped it up, and that's why cruiser ready makes sense.

Steven Spaugh
04-22-2018, 05:59 AM
This is a quote from Coastal Cop, from a different thread...

In the car, cruiser ready keeps the roof intact. I've seen a couple of holes in roofs where the safety either wasn't engaged or was bounced off by stuff in the squad, then something else bounces around in the mobile office and hits the trigger.... or they hit the trigger trying to get it out of the rack, Once its in your hands it should be racked and safed till your at the "hunting" grounds, then safety off in most cases. If I have time to grab it from the rack, I have time to rack it.

So.....if you want to travel with one in the chamber, this device should keep things safer. One more round, now, may be better in the gun, than not. Just saying.

BigEd63
04-22-2018, 09:25 AM

Or--one size fits most:

No wisecracks about shooting through the rubbers.

The later I used a lot on rifles and shotguns when I used to "coyote" hunt in the National Forest. A buddy of mine used to work at an electronics firm and he'd bring me a dozen or so now and then.