PDA

View Full Version : The Stakeout Has Surprises

Jon Payne
03-07-2018, 05:44 PM
Suarez International and Gabe Suarez introduced the Stakeout and the naysayers went wild about it being useless, can't hit shit with it, it's only good for breaching, etc. "They've" said it would be too painful to shoot (perhaps for those with physical limitations); not everyone can wield the battle axe. Quick to run their collective mouths about what it can and can't do while having NO EXPERIENCE with this weapon system. Our dept. qualification begins with two slugs from 50 yards followed by two shots from 25 yards with buckshot and three combat load shots from 25 yards.

I'm teaching a shotgun class tomorrow for the S.O. and I decided to put in some prep work with my Stakeout. In three shots I zeroed my RMR and was ready to get it done. I used full power slugs for zero by firing two shots from 10 yards and verified at 25 yards with one more shot. I center punched an IPSC Silhouette with a slug at 50 yards; which by all accounts should be outside the operational range of the Stakeout, but the RMR stretches the effective range of this weapon.

I finished up my day checking the pattern with Remington Reduced Recoil 00 Buck (8 pellet). I fired single shots from 25, 15, 10, and 7 yards. At 25 I kept all pellets on target BARELY with patterns getting tighter at 15 and 10 yards. At 15 I'd call the pattern ideal for this load and at 7 yards all 8 pellets were well within the "A" zone.

Thank you to the useful idiots. I find it ever so gratifying to run your drivel back down your throat.

Jon Payne
03-07-2018, 05:45 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180308/b1997025eb5ca86c500554f4c75f820e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon Payne
03-07-2018, 05:46 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180308/e471bc4f4386f4dd2981fe53e339a279.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180308/c5b429502eb366b88c4609a1020c4c62.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180308/0a742b67cdb121092529ff7df61c6a57.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180308/c08a647404ae16033a51fdd153ac1020.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180308/770bdcc0044ba96e0ae7006592ed0226.jpg

WOLF220
03-07-2018, 06:09 PM
Thanks for this Jon. There is just something very satisfying when you prove the limp wristed losers wrong. I throughly enjoy it myself. And the stakeout kiss ass too!

Steven Spaugh
03-07-2018, 06:29 PM
With the exception of SI, I have not seen anyone on YouTube shoot the Tac-14 from anywhere but the hip. I'm confident that Jon did not shoot from the hip.

von Clausewitz
03-07-2018, 06:37 PM
I am anxious to start on April14 with my Stakeout...I hit dead center with slugs at 20 yards

Jon Payne
03-07-2018, 07:04 PM
With the exception of SI, I have not seen anyone on YouTube shoot the Tac-14 from anywhere but the hip. I'm confident that Jon did not shoot from the hip.

My Stakeout was fired from eye level.

cmcampbell
03-07-2018, 08:26 PM
Never occurred to me that shooting it from the hip worked well, but then, I shot pistol grip 870s a lot in the 1975-1980s. Eye level stretch the gun.

I am shooting a 870 Tac14 no brake, recoil is not a big deal, but, I have not shot over 100 rounds of buckshot at a time. I am 60 with arthritis in thumbs and elbows but it seems OK.

Steven Spaugh
03-08-2018, 02:18 AM
My Stakeout was fired from eye level.

That is because your name is not Bump Fire Bubba.

Greg Nichols
03-08-2018, 06:16 AM
Eye level stretch the gun.

Ya know, I haven't been able to make this work for me for some reason. First time I tried it I hit myself in the mouth with the grip. The method that worked best for me was to just lock the arm that is working the trigger but you have to have some upper body strength for that to work well.

Brent Yamamoto
03-08-2018, 10:11 AM
Ya know, I haven't been able to make this work for me for some reason. First time I tried it I hit myself in the mouth with the grip. The method that worked best for me was to just lock the arm that is working the trigger but you have to have some upper body strength for that to work well.

I found the push/pull method worked well for me, but I lock the forward arm. This is simply the unbendable arm thing I always talk about.

My rear hand does pull but it's not much. Mostly the pull is just stabilizing it...I'm not pulling hard and the pull relaxes immediately after pressing the trigger. But that's just what I do. Everyone has to experiment and find out what works best for them.

Greg already knows how to run the shotgun like nobody's business and makes it his bitch no matter what.

Papa
03-08-2018, 06:59 PM

So it's not just me! I think it has to do with pulling back too hard on the grip, and anticipating running the pump too early in the cycle. I have no problem if I push/push.

Hurts, don't it. Especially with a QD stud.

Jon Payne
03-08-2018, 07:20 PM
My QD stud is counter-sunk so itís flush.

Papa
03-08-2018, 07:29 PM
My QD stud is counter-sunk so it’s flush.

Mine is now.

Greg Nichols
03-09-2018, 06:39 AM
So it's not just me! I think it has to do with pulling back too hard on the grip, and anticipating running the pump too early in the cycle. I have no problem if I push/push.

Hurts, don't it. Especially with a QD stud.
that's probably the issue, with a shotty I stage everything to maximize speed/efficiency.

m48shooter
03-20-2018, 02:08 PM
I found the push/pull method worked well for me, but I lock the forward arm. This is simply the unbendable arm thing I always talk about.

My rear hand does pull but it's not much. Mostly the pull is just stabilizing it...I'm not pulling hard and the pull relaxes immediately after pressing the trigger. But that's just what I do. Everyone has to experiment and find out what works best for them.

Greg already knows how to run the shotgun like nobody's business and makes it his bitch no matter what.

As usual Brent explains thing so a cave man can get it...

I push/pull, much like shooting my bow, but lock out the front arm just like shooting my handguns, AR's and shotguns...

It lets me run the short little b**ch just as fast as a full size gauge.

The slug sights in mine allow for head shots at 25... I need to push out to 50 yards w/o and RMR and see what kind of damage we can do..

I found I was pulling so much I was making the stock fore grip start to slip around during strings of fire... so I reduced the diameter and stippled the crap out of it...

Spiffy
03-20-2018, 04:43 PM
Can't help but notice you shot the "no shoot".........LOL

Looks good brother! I love the SI way.

Jon Payne
04-07-2018, 09:01 AM
Just to update, I ran dept qualifications last week. Very few officers qualified with the scattergun as compared to the patrol rifle. I used my Stakeout for the Shotgun Qual. The qual consists of two slugs from 50 yards first standing then kneeling, from 25 yards load three/shoot three buckshot and reactive reload one shoot one two times for a total of 7 rounds fired 2 slugs/5 buckshot. The pellets are worth two points a piece and the slugs are worth 5 points each. There are time limits to each string. The Stakeout while not designed nor intended for general patrol use; passed with flying colors.

chad newton
04-07-2018, 09:16 AM
My buddy did the same think and knocked his tooth out.:)

Jon Payne
04-07-2018, 03:45 PM
My buddy did the same think and knocked his tooth out.:)

Got to follow the 10% rule.

EDELWEISS
04-07-2018, 04:24 PM
Just to update, I ran dept qualifications last week. Very few officers qualified with the scattergun as compared to the patrol rifle. That's sad to hear; but I think one reasons many PDs are going away from the shotgun

The Stakeout while not designed nor intended for general patrol use; passed with flying colors. Congrats and nice shooting

We've talked about this before, there are times when one weapon system is a better choice than others; but its just nice to hear when a well trained operator can get the most out of every weapon system

cmcampbell
04-07-2018, 04:58 PM

This is how I should have phrased how I shoot it, not a lot of pullback.

chad newton
04-07-2018, 05:09 PM
Got to follow the 10% rule.

Hah.......

ChrisNobody
04-07-2018, 05:15 PM
Today was day 1 of the shotgun class in Prescott. I was very impressed overall with the stakeout and how it performed. I did not find myself missing having a stock. Transitions to pistol were quick and easy. All handling was light and fast. This afternoon, we were doing some work with slugs. At some point Gabe reminded us that we could use any standard shooting position with the shotgun. That said, I opted to shoot the stakeout in a creedmoor at distance. Hits at 75 yards were really easy. There is great video of Brent doing it with my stakeout (note: it has rifle sights - it would be even easier with an RMR on it). Just another way to employ this system at distance.

chad newton
04-07-2018, 05:23 PM
Today was day 1 of the shotgun class in Prescott. I was very impressed overall with the stakeout and how it performed. I did not find myself missing having a stock. Transitions to pistol were quick and easy. All handling was light and fast. This afternoon, we were doing some work with slugs. At some point Gabe reminded us that we could use any standard shooting position with the shotgun. That said, I opted to shoot the stakeout in a creedmoor at distance. Hits at 75 yards were really easy. There is great video of Brent doing it with my stakeout (note: it has rifle sights - it would be even easier with an RMR on it). Just another way to employ this system at distance.
Did you take a stocked shotgun too?

chad newton
04-07-2018, 05:26 PM
Also let me know how guys are carrying ammo. Dump pouch, bandolier, or whatever..

ChrisNobody
04-07-2018, 06:01 PM
I do have one I the truck, but didn’t use it. I went stakeout only. Carry methods for ammo included a number of side saddles, a few had the 2 cell pouches on their belts. I saw a few competition style belt carriers. There were also some who shoved them in pockets and I used a maxpedition bag over the shoulder with buckshot in the main bag and slugs in the mini bag.

chad newton
04-07-2018, 07:13 PM
I do have one I the truck, but didn’t use it. I went stakeout only. Carry methods for ammo included a number of side saddles, a few had the 2 cell pouches on their belts. I saw a few competition style belt carriers. There were also some who shoved them in pockets and I used a maxpedition bag over the shoulder with buckshot in the main bag and slugs in the mini bag.
Let us know when you are done what you think complements the system well for practical ammo carrying. I have always brought along a bandolier with my shotgun. Even a dump pouch with a belt would complement it pretty well. Or terrorist interdiction style bag would go well.

ChrisNobody
04-07-2018, 08:50 PM
Thus far, I have been very enthused by my maxpedition “terrorist interdiction bag”. Having multiple compartments allows me to keep buckshot and slug separate (something Gabe covered at length and it really made sense). Also, it made up for the fact that I am not going to be carrying shotgun gear on me as part of my EDC setup. I normally carry my pistol stuff as that is primary. My shotgun will be in the car as a supplement or complement to my EDC loadout under certain conditions. I can keep my maxpedition TIB stores with my stakeout and then sling it over my shoulder when I grab the gun. This gives me my loadout if ammo, a spare IFAK, and some additional pistol magazines - all in an easy to carry item. I wouldn’t begrudge others their own ways of doing a loadout, but do question if they are taking the shotgun with them all the time to justify keeping it on a belt.

golucky
04-09-2018, 03:08 PM
I remembered running Jon's Stakeout at his Shotgun class last year in Orange. The push-pull method that Brent explained with the rear grip pulling but not much and enough to stablize. And this was after a recent shoulder procedure I had done about 3 week prior. Keep shoving it down their throats !