PDA

View Full Version : REACTIVE RELOADING THE 870

Gabriel Suarez
02-09-2018, 04:38 PM
https://youtu.be/pXlYJ21clGI

chad newton
02-09-2018, 08:17 PM
Awesome, gives me some stuff to practice. Sling is a given, but I need to work on all types of reloads.

barnetmill
02-10-2018, 12:17 PM
A very educational video clip.
When watching I just suddenly realized on any pump shotgun that I know of there is no empty magazine indication until you pull the trigger on an empty chamber or in other words you hear click.
It may not be important since no one has ever addressed this before with a mechanical solution. On many military bolt action rifles one can not close the bolt on an empty magazine without knowing it, but one can on a pump shotgun and not know unless you check the chamber or pull the trigger to get a click.

Rich_M
02-11-2018, 05:37 PM
I like that idea. Just thinking out loud: Perhaps some sort of loaded chamber indicator that wouldn’t booger up reliability AND would be tactile enough to feel easily. Usually when Gabe comes out with something new, I kick myself and wonder why I didn’t think of it first.

Hasher
02-11-2018, 06:19 PM
As fast as you should be shooting the shotgun (and remember we topped off any time we could) what is wrong with the click on an empty chamber?

at that point either speed reload to transition to the handgun.

I cannot see the the need for something else added to the gun for something that can be delt with through proper training.

Software vs. hardware.

barnetmill
02-11-2018, 09:06 PM
As fast as you should be shooting the shotgun (and remember we topped off any time we could) what is wrong with the click on an empty chamber?

at that point either speed reload to transition to the handgun.

I cannot see the the need for something else added to the gun for something that can be delt with through proper training.

Software vs. hardware.
"what is wrong with the click on an empty chamber" If someone is in your face trying to kill you it can be very wrong. I would prefer to transition to pistol before I heard click. The only thing i can see is learning to reload quickly on the go and to count your rounds that are fired which is not always easy to do. I suspect by the time you empty the shotgun most here feel the threat will have been dealt with and there will be time to have reloaded before the next threat appears.

Dorkface
02-11-2018, 09:36 PM
"what is wrong with the click on an empty chamber" If someone is in your face trying to kill you it can be very wrong. I would prefer to transition to pistol before I heard click. The only thing i can see is learning to reload quickly on the go and to count your rounds that are fired which is not always easy to do. I suspect by the time you empty the shotgun most here feel the threat will have been dealt with and there will be time to have reloaded before the next threat appears.

Gabe literally explained the immediate action drill right at the beginning of the video in the OP. The only caveat I could think of would be if they are actually in your face which in that case put the muzzle of the shotgun through their face till you create the opportunity to transition or just keep beating them to death with the shotgun. An empty chamber indicator won't change the process.

Gabriel Suarez
02-12-2018, 05:47 AM
Gabe literally explained the immediate action drill right at the beginning of the video in the OP. The only caveat I could think of would be if they are actually in your face which in that case put the muzzle of the shotgun through their face till you create the opportunity to transition or just keep beating them to death with the shotgun. An empty chamber indicator won't change the process.

I doubt everyone paid attention and just watched the action. maybe a kitten next time...or retirement?

Gabriel Suarez
02-12-2018, 05:57 AM
So lets see.

Was there a target three feet away? Nope. So lets keep the context in place. Do I really need to put caveats out to everything someone might bring out, and constantly defend my position, or can we take a video at face value? Lets do the latter shall we to avoid a 90 minute preamble for context the next time.

You are facing a bad guy...maybe not just one...and have been "in the fight" for some time. You shoot one, blow his heart right out of his ass and watch him drop. You kill his buddy by removing his head with a charge of #00. Then a third one pops up with a "Yo Homie!!" (Urban gangs don't use Aloha Snackbar...yet). You press on him again and get a click. Since you have trained yourself to operate the pump as a reflexive action and a mindless action (just like the tap rack) what do you think you will do in this case -

a). override all your programming and open the action only?
b). do what you have always done - countless times - through countless reps - and cycle the action

To use the vernacular of the modern illiterate - I could be totally full of shit and not know anything at all.....

But I think option B is far more likely than A.

So now...having a bit of intell that you didn't have a second ago you open the action, drop a round in, and continue killing.

chad newton
02-12-2018, 08:34 AM
While the high speed low drag guy is trying to pick up his mag from a failed speed load he will look up to see the chrome of my etched 38 super......