PDA

View Full Version : RMR on a Stakeout

DogDoc
02-08-2018, 03:26 PM
I have a couple of Tac-14s being put together for me at SI. I'm thinking about putting an RMR on one of them using the SI Stakeout RMR Mount (https://suarezinternational.com/suarez-shotgun-rmr-mount/).

Couple of questions:

- Does the Stakeout RMR need the Anti-Flicker-Free base plate (https://suarezinternational.com/suarez-anti-flicker-rmr-mount-sealing-plate/) like the pistols do?

-What's the best RMR to put on one of these rascals. I'm thinking dual illumination and that the bigger the dot the better. I don't have any experience with the triangles but wondered about those. Any input would be appreciated.

Greg Nichols
02-08-2018, 03:40 PM
If it were me I'd go dual illumination. Less electronic connections and if stored long periods its non maintenance

von Clausewitz
02-08-2018, 03:41 PM
I put the dual lamination Trijicon on my Stakeout...love it...

i was at therange today...shooting slugs, I was dead on at 20 yards...

Brent Yamamoto
02-08-2018, 03:55 PM
- Does the Stakeout RMR need the Anti-Flicker-Free base plate (https://suarezinternational.com/suarez-anti-flicker-rmr-mount-sealing-plate/) like the pistols do?
Not with a Dual Illum model

-What's the best RMR to put on one of these rascals. I'm thinking dual illumination and that the bigger the dot the better. I don't have any experience with the triangles but wondered about those. Any input would be appreciated.
Go with the dual illum dot. It is perfect for this application.

I like the triangles as well but don't think they are the best choice for a Stakeout. The benefit of the triangle, IMO, is using the top point as a fine point of aim...this is unnecessary with the Stakeout. But more importantly, the triangle is worse about wash out in low light. I can still see the dot in low light, my triangles wash out almost completely. Don't even consider the triangle for this one, trust me.

AFSOCCRNA
02-08-2018, 04:15 PM
I did the dual ilum on mine with the triangle because I didn’t really know one way or the other. It does washout some but the shape size doesn’t bother me. My astigmatism is bad enough that that dots are more splotches anyway. Whichever RMR you go with, you will be happy you have one.

Brent Yamamoto
02-08-2018, 04:18 PM
The shape of a triangle does not matter in this case. The triangle is very effective in full day light, but not bright enough in low light. In my opinion

Neither of the dual illumination Models ( triangle or dot ) are affected by astigmatism.

AFSOCCRNA
02-08-2018, 04:38 PM
The shape of a triangle does not matter in this case. The triangle is very effective in full day light, but not bright enough in low light. In my opinion

Agreed

Neither of the dual illumination Models ( triangle or dot ) are affected by astigmatism.

Good to know

DogDoc
02-08-2018, 07:04 PM
7moa or 9 Moa?
Green or Amber?

Brent Yamamoto
02-08-2018, 08:25 PM
I prefer amber 7moa.

Air Pirate
02-08-2018, 10:10 PM
Same set-up on mine (dual/amber), even though my other RMR’s are LED. I was curious to try something different, and also read the recommendations. So glad I did. Wouldn’t change a thing!

DogDoc
02-09-2018, 07:17 AM
Thanks guys.

Doc

Johnny C!
02-09-2018, 08:16 AM
A barrel with rifle sights is the easy button
for the dual illum washout issue. Just like
we put suppressor sights on our RMR'd
Glocks.

I have an older dual with an orange dot
on my Tac-14. Love it!

John

Gabriel Suarez
02-09-2018, 08:29 AM
The ultimate sight system is rifle slug sights and RMR.

AFSOCCRNA
02-09-2018, 09:03 AM
The ultimate sight system is rifle slug sights and RMR.

Im driving to Prescott for FoF this fall and brining my Stakeout. Would it be possible to have the slug sights added to it? I certainly don't mind paying a little extra for a "rush" job.

Gabriel Suarez
02-09-2018, 09:33 AM
These are a weld on job requiring a refinish of the barrel.

AFSOCCRNA
02-09-2018, 12:05 PM
These are a weld on job requiring a refinish of the barrel.

Yeah I was afraid of that.

RobertGuy
02-09-2018, 02:40 PM
Are the other reasons to choose dual illumination besides no batteries/electronics?

Is there more failure with electronic red dots on heavy recoil shotguns?

Brent Yamamoto
02-09-2018, 02:55 PM
Are the other reasons to choose dual illumination besides no batteries/electronics?

Is there more failure with electronic red dots on heavy recoil shotguns?

They are a little less money than the LED models. The LED come in smaller dots, which is useful for more precision with pistols, either eyeballs at room distance or heads/bodies at longer distance. The bigger dot of the dual illums is not a downside for a shotgun. Some find the bigger dot a little faster to pick up with the eyes.